The Super Smash Bros Melee for Nintendo Gamecube Thread!

EscalatorBoy

This game is coming up on 15 years old, and its competitive scene is still growing. Figured I'd start up a thread. If you play the game or follow it as a spectator, chime in with some thoughts on the game, your character or your favourite players :)

Smash Summit 2 is coming up soon - any predictions?

Shoutout to Westballz, PPMD and M2K, my favorite players :D

Falco and Marth are probably my favorite characters. I don't play competitively, just for fun and mostly play Falco.

Oh and in the year 20XX, everyone mains Fox. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST PROBABLY NOT FIRST

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I used to be a huge M2K fan, but ever since Smash 4 came out his Melee mindset has been trash. Hungrybox and Armada are just too cool under pressure for M2K to beat reliably. Still, no one is more fun to watch when he's playing well. That punish game with the Marth is unmatched.

I'm excited to see what Mango can do with Marth - he'll be using it a lot at Summit, so we're likely to see some very unorthodox stuff.

I usually pick one underdog or unconventional player as my favorite and may or may not change it after beginning to know scene. For me first time watching Melee was EVO2013.

So favorite players. Armada first, secondaries include Shroomed, S2J and Axe. Favorite character is probably Shiek. I just love to watch fast and smooth movements and combos.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, EscalatorBoy said:

I used to be a huge M2K fan, but ever since Smash 4 came out his Melee mindset has been trash. Hungrybox and Armada are just too cool under pressure for M2K to beat reliably. Still, no one is more fun to watch when he's playing well. That punish game with the Marth is unmatched.

I'm excited to see what Mango can do with Marth - he'll be using it a lot at Summit, so we're likely to see some very unorthodox stuff.

I think it's just awesome how M2K can be competitive in so many games at the same time :D but he is not the very best at Smash 4 yea. But I just love his Marth or Sheik gameplay in Melee or his Meta Knight in Brawl (not PM)

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I usually pick one underdog or unconventional player as my favorite and may or may not change it after beginning to know scene. For me first time watching Melee was EVO2013.

So favorite players. Armada first, secondaries include Shroomed, S2J and Axe. Favorite character is probably Shiek. I just love to watch fast and smooth movements and combos.

S2J's Falcon though! Sadly Axe has switched to maining Fox :( 

And Armada is just great too, love him see Peach, not that much of a fan of his Fox (not that he's bad with him, of course not! but just... ya know)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

S2J's Falcon though! Sadly Axe has switched to maining Fox :( 

And Armada is just great too, love him see Peach, not that much of a fan of his Fox (not that he's bad with him, of course not! but just... ya know)

I actually like Armada's Fox too. It somehow feels bit different to most Fox playstyles. But Axe switching might just make me drop him on watchlist.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I just love how every player, even if they're playing the same character, can have such different styles.

Since when did Axe switch to Fox? I know he's been playing more Falco lately, but I've barely seen his fox.

Final votes for Smash Summit 2 came right down to the wire, one of the closest votes I've ever seen. Here's the final list of players:

Mango

Armada

Hungrybox

Axe

Plup

SFAT

Shroomed

Mew2King

SilentWolf

Westballz

ESAM

Hax

S2J

PewPewU

Wobbles

Ice

I don't really follow the competative scene, however, I do organise my own little tournaments on my own gamecube from time to time. I'm even planning on having one in about a week.

I always tend to either play pikachu (they hate me for this as I'm a real cunt with it), mewtwo or marth and generally finish 2nd against some other guy that always plays link.

Also have the 3DS version and really like that one too, however, not too many friends have a 3DS so I can't really play multiplayer on it.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

On 4/6/2016 at 4:33 PM, EscalatorBoy said:

This game is coming up on 15 years old, and its competitive scene is still growing. Figured I'd start up a thread. If you play the game or follow it as a spectator, chime in with some thoughts on the game, your character or your favourite players :)

Smash Summit 2 is coming up soon - any predictions?

I love melee. I'm a big samus player. I think that it's going to end up like Super Street Fighter 2 turbo in a sense that only a small subset of characters are played and that a small subset of veteran players are going to play (seemed very hard to break into SSF2T as a new comer). The thing is I doubt anything new will be found with Smash and I doubt the tier list will be moved around. At least with SSF2T new tech and combos were found with one low tier character that made him a plausible player if anyone was ballsy enough to play with him. I'm hoping that the scene changes for smash melee soon. Feel like its been getting stagnent for a while.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

11 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I love melee. I'm a big samus player. I think that it's going to end up like Super Street Fighter 2 turbo in a sense that only a small subset of characters are played and that a small subset of veteran players are going to play (seemed very hard to break into SSF2T as a new comer). The thing is I doubt anything new will be found with Smash and I doubt the tier list will be moved around. At least with SSF2T new tech and combos were found with one low tier character that made him a plausible player if anyone was ballsy enough to play with him. I'm hoping that the scene changes for smash melee soon. Feel like its been getting stagnent for a while.

Oh man, I couldn't disagree with you more. Just in the last couple years, new techs such as v-cancelling, reverse walljumps, dash attacks to pseudo platform cancels, a few new Peach techniques, and more optimal uses for shield drops and ledge dashes have been discovered. And that's not even everything.

The tier list has been relatively stable for a while, but there were changes in the last year, moving Dr. Mario down and Yoshi up thanks to the creative and technical style of aMSa. However, the "small subset of characters" in Smash is actually a pretty healthy number - the top 8 characters on the tier list are all capable of taking a tournament, and even the characters that have been winning are arguably not played to their optimal level. The amount of creative options and variables in the game mechanics make for a very deep metagame that's unlikely to get stale.

• 2 weeks later...

Summit 2 is live on twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

Draft crew battles are happening today, so make sure to pop in and check it out =)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 0:27 PM, vidjogamer said:

I'm a retired professional player, previously ranked 7th in the nation (USA) (http://www.ssbwiki.com/Smasher:Vidjogamer). Didn't expect to see Smash on the LTT forums. Pretty cool. 

Oh that's awesome :D

And LTT has a lot of threads, but this one really did surprise me too :P 

Anyone watch the Melee at Dreamhack this weekend? That top 8 was hype. First time a Falcon main has ever made it to top 4 with 3 gods in attendance, gives some hope for the viability of the character.

8 minutes ago, EscalatorBoy said:

Anyone watch the Melee at Dreamhack this weekend? That top 8 was hype. First time a Falcon main has ever made it to top 4 with 3 gods in attendance, gives some hope for the viability of the character.

Falcon is a good character, just look at what n0ne S2J do. It's just.. It's not super good and gets beaten by quite a bit.

It's also a shame Hax$ dropped Falcon :/ 

Yeah, Falcon's looking better this year, 20GX is putting a lot of work into him. Wizzrobe's edgeguarding has definitely changed the game.

If any of you are PC gamers (highly likely given that this is the LTT forum...) this might be of interest to you: Input lag is now officially quicker on PC than it is on console+CRT, provided your monitor doesn't have crazy amounts of display lag and you're using the Wii U Gamecube controller adaptor.

Check out fastermelee.net and follow the trail to a download of the latest build of Dolphin - it only works with Melee; any other game with run at double speed. Basically what it does is run the game at half speed, but runs the emulator at double speed, so the game reads your inputs twice as fast. Couple that with the efficiencies already present within Dolphin and you end up with roughly 2 frames saved.

In practice, this means you can play netplay with a 2 frame buffer at the same speed as console, making for truly lagless netplay if it's a close connection, which is quite the breakthrough. I played a guy from Kansas (I'm in Alberta) and it was actually playable, which never would have been possible on older builds of Dolphin.

5 hours ago, EscalatorBoy said:

If any of you are PC gamers (highly likely given that this is the LTT forum...) this might be of interest to you: Input lag is now officially quicker on PC than it is on console+CRT, provided your monitor doesn't have crazy amounts of display lag and you're using the Wii U Gamecube controller adaptor.

Check out fastermelee.net and follow the trail to a download of the latest build of Dolphin - it only works with Melee; any other game with run at double speed. Basically what it does is run the game at half speed, but runs the emulator at double speed, so the game reads your inputs twice as fast. Couple that with the efficiencies already present within Dolphin and you end up with roughly 2 frames saved.

In practice, this means you can play netplay with a 2 frame buffer at the same speed as console, making for truly lagless netplay if it's a close connection, which is quite the breakthrough. I played a guy from Kansas (I'm in Alberta) and it was actually playable, which never would have been possible on older builds of Dolphin.

Awesome :D I was watching some netplay video a while ago and found them to be a bit laggy, but it was okay. But never used it myself, don't have a good PC :/ 

On 5/12/2016 at 10:12 AM, EscalatorBoy said:

I will have to check this out

OAS || AAS || LLS

• 2 weeks later...

I open up the GOML stream and the first thing I see is M2K losing to n0ne. It was a sad day for me.

GOML is definitely hype though. Great to see that Lucky is continuing with the excellent tournament performances. If he ranks top 10 this year I won't be surprised.

Westballz is doing great which is awesome, and Leffen isn't getting 7th place today. #FreeLeffen

I'm going to make sure I watch as many tournaments I can this year, and I want to go to some over the summer. 2016 is going to be an awesome year.

GOML looked awesome, and I was happy to see my region (Alberta) do pretty well, all things considered. Plus, Quaff beat n0ne 3-0 in a money match, so there's that :)

Nice! Glad it made the cut - it was looking grim until it picked up enough steam on reddit to hit r/all. We'll just have to wait and see what the response is, but I'm optimistic.