50" 4K recommendations?

aisle9

We just moved into our new house, and our 55" TV is a hair (literally, a hair) too big for the space we have on the built in shelf for it. We can go to a max of 30" tall, so realistically 29.x", which seems to put me right at 50" diagonal as a practical max.

I'm looking for the best quality I can get, really. We'd looked at a Vizio and an LG at a $600 price point, but both seem to have mixed reviews online. The LG UF6450 (think I got that right) would be my to choice at this point, but is there something I'm missing? Don't mind going up some on price, say $900-1000 absolute max with a preference to stay lower? 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I'm not very well versed in the realm of home theater, but I recently picked up a Samsung UN50JU6500 on a sale from Best Buy, and I am very happy with my purchase. The TV is super sharp and the smart functions of it are pretty snappy, but the WiFi on the TV leaves a bit to be desired. (Although to be fair, it might just be Time Warner being terrible). It has also gotten pretty good reviews from what I've seen around on the internet!

FYI, one of the top reviews on the Amazon page for the item describes how to adjust the picture settings to get a much better picture, and it helps a lot!

7 hours ago, aisle9 said:

We just moved into our new house, and our 55" TV is a hair (literally, a hair) too big for the space we have on the built in shelf for it. We can go to a max of 30" tall, so realistically 29.x", which seems to put me right at 50" diagonal as a practical max.

I'm looking for the best quality I can get, really. We'd looked at a Vizio and an LG at a $600 price point, but both seem to have mixed reviews online. The LG UF6450 (think I got that right) would be my to choice at this point, but is there something I'm missing? Don't mind going up some on price, say $900-1000 absolute max with a preference to stay lower? 

If you want to look at HDR-compatible TVs (for future content), the 48JS8500 may be worth a look. It's gonna be a couple of hundred above your stated absolute max though.

Sharp rolled out inexpensive HDR-compatible TVs (N7000 series), but I'm a little cautious with them (since Sharp America's TV business is now Hisense). 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, adrtho4 said:

Thought about going Samgsung but I've been hearing a lot of horror stories about them lately.  

Ended up going with a Samsung UN50JU7100. Haven't really gotten to put it through its paces yet, but Netflix anime looks wonderful on it lol

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Ended up going with a Samsung UN50JU7100. Haven't really gotten to put it through its paces yet, but Netflix anime looks wonderful on it lol

Keep us updated them man.  

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Congrats with your new screen. That's a nice TV.

All 2015 and up Samsung UHD models now support HDR with the latest firmware, afaik (whether or not they're Ultra HD Premium certified). 

11 hours ago, Stagea said:

Congrats with your new screen. That's a nice TV.

All 2015 and up Samsung UHD models now support HDR with the latest firmware, afaik (whether or not they're Ultra HD Premium certified). 

HDR, ugh. Still not sure how I feel about that. I'm an atmospheric photographer by hobby, and I kind of hate HDR in still shots. Remains to be seen what I think of it on a TV.

12 hours ago, aisle9 said:

HDR, ugh. Still not sure how I feel about that. I'm an atmospheric photographer by hobby, and I kind of hate HDR in still shots. Remains to be seen what I think of it on a TV.

HDR video is not from multiple exposures. It's not the fake HDR that's often seen in still cameras that still outputs in 8 bits per color and uses the same color space (say sRGB). It's closer to what you can get from shooting RAW from a nice camera, while having a high bit depth pro display.

It's just having more dynamic range (well beyond what's used in HD Blurays and DVDs) by taking advantage of the dynamic range available from either film or today's higher quality photo sensors. 

development-of-a-4k-h265-hevc-hw-encoder

It covers a greater range of what the eye can see (larger gamut). The higher bit depth also gets rid of banding.

I shoot raw, and still hate HDR. :P

I'll give it a look though lol

4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I shoot raw, and still hate HDR. :P

I'll give it a look though lol

:P Do you use AdobeRGB or sRGB color space?

5 hours ago, Stagea said:

:P Do you use AdobeRGB or sRGB color space?

sRGB. I think it gives a good range of color while still looking natural, and for landscapes and atmospheric stuff, that's really important. I've toyed with HDR a few times, and a couple of the pictures I've used it on have sold, so as much as I hate them I'm inclined to leave them up online and see if anyone takes them.