ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

You don't really need one. I have built my computer on a carpet quite happily. Just make sure you keep touching your case (or a metal surface) and you'll be fine.

Compatible with Windows 95

They just get in the way is all.  In my experience static is not really a danger unless you try.  Building on carpet with a fleece blanket over your head or something.  Simply taking some basic precautions by building on a hard surface/ground, and touching the case periodically, static won't be a problem.

Even building on carpet isn't the be all and end all if the precautions are met, I've built my current PC on carpet and she is fine.

@OP - Always touch the case (preferably bare metal like a case screw or something) and don't be a knob and you'll be fine mate :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I used these for my first build when I was building on a carpet but I don't think I would use one anymore because I could just touch the case/psu plugged in but turned off periodically. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The only damage static has done to me is giving me a shock whilst opening a case. Just don't try to get your stuff killed, and touch the case every now and then.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I am too cheap to buy one so whenever I did something with my computer I just touched my PSU (which was plugged in) like Linus suggests. And honestly I have touched my CPU and gpu parts with my bare hand before and I've never had an issue. My room also has carpet which I walk barefoot on so...

Still though I take precautions and do touch my PSU and If i were given a free strap I would use it.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I understand how they work and all that, however when Installing a CPU that is worth a weeks pay and the ever rising cost of ram, I would rather not take that risk, be it ever so small. 

And for the record I have killed ram with static before. It might only be one in every million pc builds that has static issues but I'd rather it not be mine for the sake of putting on a wrist strap.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

YOU MUST make sure you have no static. Here is a couple tips. 1.) Keep the cords close so that they don't bother you as much stretched out. 2.) Put it around your ankle instead so that it doesn't get in the way of your hands. 3.) Instead of wearing it the whole time cuz u might find that annoying cuz it is, instead keep touching it as you work/build your machine. So like before you start pulling things out of the boxes and touch stuff, first touch the anti static wrist rest. As you work and it has been several minutes touch it  again.

Just build on clean tile with flip flops if you're really scared or cautious imo

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I get them for free, the disposable type come free with components that are worth it and use them so as to not take the blame for frying a $10K or more computer due to not wearing it. Sure if you are working on a computer you didn't pay with your own sweat and tears I see how you could care less but once you are forking over you own money you will change your tone, especially after frying one of those components you spend a good paycheck on.

Keep rolling the dice but snake eyes will eventually fall.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys i am going to be building my first PC YAY <3 and i did not buy a  Anti-Static Wrist Strap and i was wondering if i should build my PC or buy one and wait a week until it arrives.

You'll be fine. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

They are not necessary

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

well if you could ground your self with something else that could work too also build it in a place with no static charge waiting to be free  :D

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Linus seems to be an advocate of them.

Probably so people don't go yelling at him.

I've never used one and I've build several computers on carpet and everything. Just ground yourself every now and then and don't go sliding around on shaggy carpet.

I'm not going to say no its not necessary, but I question their usefulness myself. I do own on one and use it however. Just don't work on carpet. Also touch a grounded object once and a while.  

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

It's a good idea if you live in an extremely dry place, especially, but as long as your careful, you should be fine.

Something I like to do (which sounds like a pain in the ass) is build it inside of the case, so I can touch the case while I build it, therefore grounding my self.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If you plan on building multiple computers/repairing computers often them I would buy one.

If not you should be fine just touch something grounded frequently. e.g. Power Supply plugged into wall but switched off.

Linus seems to be an advocate of them.

YEAH i saw linus and Paul saying you should wear one

It's a good idea if you live in an extremely dry place, especially, but as long as your careful, you should be fine.

Something I like to do (which sounds like a pain in the ass) is build it inside of the case, so I can touch the case while I build it, therefore grounding my self.

i live in south Texas its really dry

Nope

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Thanks for everyone who reply and if i touch my case now and then would that work my case is the Fractal Design R4

Where Linus is, he seems to get a lot of static shocks. So he does need them.

If you have never had a static shock in your house then there's no need.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review