ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I suggest always using one. You can severly damage components even by a small shock, its not expensive to get one and may save you a ton of money if you destroy an expensive component. 

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

You don't need one but for only a few dollars you get added protection of your parts it's a good idea to get it

I've never used one, they don't sell them here and my internet order never arrived :( but I never had problems, obviously I always make sure I don't have any static on my like wool sweaters or similar materials.

In any case, Does having a carpet increase the chances of static? working in place with no carpets reduces said chances?

I've never used one, they don't sell them here and my internet order never arrived :( but I never had problems, obviously I always make sure I don't have any static on my like wool sweaters or similar materials.

In any case, Does having a carpet increase the chances of static? working in place with no carpets reduces said chances?

Carpet can build up static, yes. It is always recommended to wear shoes on hardwood/tile flooring when building a PC.

http://puu.sh/hoxZF/b243e2b090.txt 

Software developer, part-time potato. CEO @ RSN. http://rushservers.net/

While it may not be necessary, I definitely recommend getting one.

It would suck if you fried a part because you didn't want to spend an extra $5.00 for extra protection. Yes, you most likely won't, but it's cheap and in my eyes it's worth it. 

http://puu.sh/hoxZF/b243e2b090.txt 

Software developer, part-time potato. CEO @ RSN. http://rushservers.net/

• 2 weeks later...

When Linus says "and I'm wearing one on my ankle"

No you aren't Linus - no you aren't.

I use one for the tedious parts like CPU installation and anything having to do w/ the motherboard.. if you don't have one just be sure to stand on something other than carpet and don't wear socks.. and touch something metal. You'll be fine just doing that.

Only victors are allowed to live... this world is merciless like that.

Install the psu inside the case, plug it in, turn off the power switch and connect the power cable. You can now ground yourself by touching the case from time to time.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: yes, but only if you often shock yourself when you touch something metallic and grounded.

As soon as you put the CPU in the motherboard, the chances of you frying something are pretty low.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Linus uses one in every build

Does he? 

He says he wears one on his ankle, but I have never seen it.  Then again just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean he doesn't wear one.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I do all of my builds on carpet while wearing fleece jackets. Never lost any components