ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

They really aren't a bad thing to have when building your PC, especially for the first time. I will be using one when I build my first PC soon. They are $5 at most and why not have the extra security? Also, they can't "lose" their ability to protect against static if you have it but don't use it for a while, right?

They just get in the way is all.  In my experience static is not really a danger unless you try.  Building on carpet with a fleece blanket over your head or something.  Simply taking some basic precautions by building on a hard surface/ground, and touching the case periodically, static won't be a problem.

Also if you are wearing it and you touch something you shouldn't... you can die.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

They just get in the way is all.  In my experience static is not really a danger unless you try.  Building on carpet with a fleece blanket over your head or something.  Simply taking some basic precautions by building on a hard surface/ground, and touching the case periodically, static won't be a problem.

Wrong. They don't get in the way.

We have been warned not to use them as they can kill if used improperly, instead all our workbenches and floors are antistatic.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

for $5 im too cheap, i just touch the metal case and something else metal every few mins, and i have never, ever had a problem. To never ever short something out (better idea then the strap) dont touch the freaking contacts...

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Even with building on carpet I haven't had an problems.. I just go barefoot and constantly touch the case.

Also if you are wearing it and you touch something you shouldn't... you can die.

Who wears one while the computer is plugged in?

You can die from everything. You could wrap the thing around your neck and choke. 

Old shit no one cares about but me.

If you want one, get one. If you don't, don't.

Fractal R4- 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb- 2TB Wd Black- 256 GB Samsung SSD- Cosair 760w PSU- Corsair h80i- ASUS CU II GTX 780- ASUS VI Hero LGA 1150

Wrong. They don't get in the way.

That's not really something you can state as a universal fact...

Well you can always put them on your ankle, but then you're tied to a 4 foot radius and they always seem to break one way or another. I think the danger of static is overstated, as long as (like everyone said) you aren't using a vacuum or rubbing your wool socks on the carpet before putting a computer together.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I have never in my decade of working on computers and high end servers used an anti-static device. There is simply no need.

As long as you aren't purposely trying to build up static and touch a component you should be fine. Most of the time when you are installing a component you ground yourself by brushing up against the inside of the case anyhow.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

I don't believe this. It takes .1 ampere to kill someone. Even if you are for some reason working on a live 440 volt circuit, you'd only get .0004 amperes into you through the 1 million ohm resistor. In order to get the lethal .1 ampere through you'd need 100,000 volts.

Most likely the resistor in the wrist strap will melt apart and disconnect the circuit well before your heart starts to goof up.

I built my PC on a card table, with no protection on anything. You dont need to be super cautious, just dont be stupid and wear the sweater that grandma knitted you for christmas (although, those are nice sweaters  :D)

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I always laugh when Linus says "I'm wearing one around my ankle" No you're not Linus, no you're not...

If you are mass producing PC's an antistatic mat is probably a better option. Realistically as long as you don't build a machine on the carpet of your lounge room floor and you sliding around on your knees and fuzzy socks, you should be fine.

I'm 12 and don't wear an antistatic wrist strap. It's over exaggeration. You shouldn't care unless you constantly rub your feet against a carpet.

What? How? What are you touching? A hot main wire?

We have been warned not to use them as they can kill if used improperly, instead all our workbenches and floors are antistatic.

Again How? What are you doing attaching a huge cap to the end? Its not that hard to connect it to ground. 

I don't believe this. It takes .1 ampere to kill someone. Even if you are for some reason working on a live 440 volt circuit, you'd only get .0004 amperes into you through the 1 million ohm resistor. In order to get the lethal .1 ampere through you'd need 100,000 volts.

Most likely the resistor in the wrist strap will melt apart and disconnect the circuit well before your heart starts to goof up.

You are forgetting most nerds are sweaty palmed neck beards like me. And if you prick your self on a pice of sprew or something it goes from 100,000 to about <120V

Litterly all I do is touch a light switch screw. And If im working on someone else PC (that I dont want to fire cuz I was lazy ) I hook up and old PSU to a power strip turned off and have that setting on my desk so I can touch it. 

Who ever said that is an idiot.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

I never wear those things. If you wanna discharge static electricity, grab onto the metal of your case.

I kinda doubt someone is doing something dumb like shuffling their socks onto carpet while petting their pet cat furiously to build up all that static electricity on purpose before servicing a system.

shuffling their socks onto carpet while petting their pet cat furiously to build up all that static electricity on purpose before servicing a system.

lol

I'm 12 and don't wear an antistatic wrist strap. It's over exaggeration. You shouldn't care unless you constantly rub your feet against a carpet.

Youre 12 and you spend all your time on the forum. Shouldnt you be playing with dolls or somthing? ;)

I some times sit and laugh as if your age is a joke and youre continuing to carry the joke on or to sit and be concerned for your well being.

Oh shit, I just took you so much more seriously.

I wear one simply out of my habit of using it with other people's equipment. Liability - ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

They for pussies...

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

All I can tell you is that at my University's labs they're forbidden, as they usually make it worse. Plug in your PSU, turn it off, touchy touchy -> Happy feelings ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...