ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

No, it would make it worse.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Just use your hands, don't worry about all this stuff. I built mine with my bare hands and it's working fine, oh the computer is too.

I know, I just pulled my graphics card out to clean it without grounding myself and it's fine :P

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Would latex glove block any ESD while building a PC?

I build on carpet and my bed all the time.

I just have the PSU plugged in and make sure to reach for it and give it grope every once in a while or after I move and start handling stuff again.

Static electricity isn't inherently damaging to electronics, it's the extreme differences in electrical charge.

Error: 410

I just have the PSU plugged in and make sure to reach for it and give it grope every once in a while or after I move and start handling stuff again.

Static electricity isn't inherently damaging to electronics, it's the extreme differences in electrical charge.

I grope my PSUs all the time

post-27131-0-49307800-1379559256.png

Isn't it dangerous to ground yourself on your case when your PSU is plugged in?

Isn't it dangerous to ground yourself on your case when your PSU is plugged in?

How so? If you're misunderstanding the PSU is physically removed (I have a separate one just for this) and plugged in not running.

Error: 410

I built a server on carpet, you'll be fine.

I carried all the parts from my pc one by one by one across my house on carpet when I switched to my new case lol

@op unless you deliberately drag your feet on the carpet for 15minutes then touch crap I don't think you should be in to much of a pickle.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

• 2 months later...

So what do I need to do speciffically? Plug PSU in wall and put in case but tunred off or what? And touch the back of PC case and I'm fine? And also is there less risks in winter of ESD?

I have a wrist strap attached to my power supply grill and the power supply plugged in but turned off. I guess you can install the power supply in the case and plug the power supply into the wall but switched off in order to ground the whole case so you will be able to touch the case to ground yourself.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Just touch the case each time your about to touch a component and your fine. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I have a wrist strap attached to my power supply grill and the power supply plugged in but turned off. I guess you can install the power supply in the case and plug the power supply into the wall but switched off in order to ground the whole case so you will be able to touch the case to ground yourself.

Okay, so touching the case should be fine.

Just touch the case each time your about to touch a component and your fine. 

But don't the case needs to be grounded? With the PSU plugged in the wall?

Touch anything thats metal I believe

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

But don't the case needs to be grounded? With the PSU plugged in the wall?

No you don't. But if you want to make sure, just plug the PSU into the wall. Some people do say that plugging the PSU into the wall is dangerous, but don't quote that from me. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

= Unplug PSU FROM WALL

= 1) use wrist strap

-avoid touching circuit boards/chips (plastic/ hold form sides/edges)

-wood/tile flooring

Note: Strap is only $5, more or less, it is not required if you are careful. 

Plugging PSU on the wall (earth ground) is not good.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

= Unplug PSU FROM WALL

= 1) use wrist strap

-avoid touching circuit boards/chips (plastic/ hold form sides/edges)

-wood/tile flooring

Note: Strap is only $5, more or less, it is not required if you are careful. 

Plugging PSU on the wall (earth ground) is not good.

Ok if I use the wrist strap, where do I plug the alligator clip?

Ok if I use the wrist strap, where do I plug the alligator clip?

Any metal, unpainted surface such as a (sink sometimes) case.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Better yet touch or strap your wrist strap to a tube used for plumbing (water supply) as they go to the ground and most likely your house/apartment's ground is connected to the plumbing aka water supply. Beats guessing the power supply thing by a good mile or takes the guess out, as what if the power supply is defective?

Then again, you better go find the ground wire to the water supply to verify, I have seen places where it was not properly strapped down and electronics were super flaky.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Get a cheapo power supply and plug it in, then touch it before you do any work on or around your computer to ground yourself