Overall Slow Internet/Murder Mystery

TheVoiceofExile

Alright fellas, time to play a little Sherlock Holmes murder mystery. 

I get my internet through Cox Communications, my Modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB6180, my Router is a D-Link DIR-615, and of course there is my machine which has never been the source of a problem in the past.

The mystery here is that I pay for 24Mb/s download and 6Mb/s upload. However over the last 2 weeks I've been noticing some major problems. YouTube loading insanely slow (never has before), game ping higher than usual, etc. So I run a speed test through https://www.speedtest.net, and find out I am getting 1.5Mb/s download and 25Mb/s upload. Thinking it is a complete fluke I run it again, 0.95Mb/s download and 27Mb/s upload. I've been running it daily with results in that realm of stupid, except today in which I got 1.5Mb/s down and up (followed of course by 3Mb/s down and 32Mb/s up). 

So we call the cable company and play with the "Help you easy fix" machine for 20 minutes (doing as everyone does and insulting it under their breath), before we finally get a person on the line. He tests all our incoming connections and they are "Excellent, couldn't possibly get a better connection" he says. Of course he knows something is wrong, but doesn't know what. He suggests trying to get a new modem and testing that to see if it fixes our problem.

Well impatient as I am to wait for 3 day shipping, I want to gather an opinion on the matter. What do any of you guys think is wrong? The modem? The router? Our wiring? I'm not really a networking kind of person so I'm not too sure what could be going wrong. Any suggestions/ideas/things to try are much appreciated in the murder of my internet. Also if you think it is a particular product gone wrong if you wouldn't mind recommending a replacement (I am a very avid gamer/PC enthusiast) for said part that would be great. I'd really like to narrow down the possibilities before I go drop 60-100 dollars on something new.

I'm at a lost, so anything is helpful at this point. Many thanks in advance.

I think it's on the ISP just being a fail

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I think it's on the ISP just being a fail

That's what I'm thinking but it just happened so suddenly and has been going on for over 2 weeks now. Every time thus far they have sent an email saying they are having problems and to expect sub-par rates, which even then only lasted 2-3 days at most. I haven't gotten said email and no one I know (that lives near me) is having this issue.

That's what I'm thinking but it just happened so suddenly and has been going on for over 2 weeks now. Every time thus far they have sent an email saying they are having problems and to expect sub-par rates, which even then only lasted 2-3 days at most. I haven't gotten said email and no one I know (that lives near me) is having this issue.

Was it normal before?

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I have the exact same modem and router as you but a different provider, and lately I've noticed issues with Youtube as well so who knows what it could be =/ Youtube has been fine these past few days though.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Was it normal before?

Yeah up until about 2 weeks ago (15-17 days now) everything was perfectly fine, but then everything went in the crapper.

I have the exact same modem and router as you but a different provider, and lately I've noticed issues with Youtube as well so who knows what it could be =/ Youtube has been fine these past few days though.

Weird, I haven't updated any firmware or anything that may have caused this, and being on a different provider kind of knocks that off the list.

Yeah up until about 2 weeks ago (15-17 days now) everything was perfectly fine, but then everything went in the crapper.

Yep definetly on the ISPs side