Will running a native 1080P monitor in 1440P cause damage?

Torey

Just curious. I set my monitor to 1440P it works fine, just not sure if it will cause damage at all.

You can set 1080p monitors to run at 1440p?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I wouldn't recommend it. It's not made to push that resolution, it's like forcing a Ferrari engine inside a honda, you can do it but it wont work out too well

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

That would be kind of pointless at all, it's not physically capable of above 1080p. It won't harm it, but I can't really see why you would bother.

Error: 410

you could do it.. only thing is that some clipping might occur. So unless your monitor auto resizes the image you won't be able to see the edges.

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

That would be kind of pointless at all, it's not physically capable of above 1080p. It won't harm it, but I can't really see why you would bother.

The picture would actually look better.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So thanks for all of the replies and yes it can to whoever asked if it could. The image looks better for like all of the games I've played so far, but browsing the web is good/bad depending anything with small text is a tad blurry. Easily readable, but not crystal clear like before. Think I'm going to just change It when I want the extra space for desktop or gaming only.

The picture would actually look better.

In what way? It would only be underscanned to fit within the actual number of pixels.

In what way? It would only be underscanned to fit within the actual number of pixels.

I don't know exactly how it looks better, but test your monitor and play some games, I have a 27" 1080P and I play very close so, I can see jagged edges on some games even with AA and what not, playing at 1440 eliminates that basically. Don't know how, just does. Switching back to 1080P on the desktop feels like I just went from HD to SD :'( Almost wish I never tried it xD

someone please tell me how this is possible? doesn't a 1080p monitor have only a certain amount of pixels? won't increasing it to 1440p require more pixels on the monitor itself? 

someone please tell me how this is possible? doesn't a 1080p monitor have only a certain amount of pixels? won't increasing it to 1440p require more pixels on the monitor itself? 

It doesn't give the monitor more pixels and LCD's don't change the pixel amount when chaning resolutions like CRT's did. They just fill up more or less pixels in simple terms. It's forcing a higher image to be displayed by downsampling or w.e.

You're drunk, go home.

It's not possible...

jiFB06m.jpg

owned.

I don't know exactly how it looks better, but test your monitor and play some games, I have a 27" 1080P and I play very close so, I can see jagged edges on some games even with AA and what not, playing at 1440 eliminates that basically. Don't know how, just does. Switching back to 1080P on the desktop feels like I just went from HD to SD :'( Almost wish I never tried it xD

All that's really happening is your monitor is taking a 1440p signal and downscaling to 1080p. It's pretty much just zooming out, it looks better because more of an image is populating the screen.

I believe what you're seeing is an effect of the game just being a shrunk image of 1440p, your monitor is still outputting 1080p.

What program are you using? There doesn't actually seem to be much discussion about this online

You're drunk, go home.

It's not possible...

It is, just sort of emulated.

All that's really happening is your monitor is taking a 1440p signal and downscaling to 1080p. It's pretty much just zooming out, it looks better because more of an image is populating the screen.

I believe what you're seeing is an effect of the game just being a shrunk image of 1440p, your monitor is still outputting 1080p.

It is, just sort of emulated.

Yes, I meant natively you can't.

Yes, I meant natively you can't.

Obviously a monitor can only have one native resolution... O.o

for funzies CymHX5u.jpg

Obviously a monitor can only have one native resolution... O.o

for funzies 

I'm already using stitched 3840x1080 wallpaper slideshows it would be a damned pain to redo it in 1440 -_-

I'm already using stitched 3840x1080 wallpaper slideshows it would be a damned pain to redo it in 1440 -_-

lol have you tried doing it yet lol? i'm not sure i can switch back, the screen real estate is well worth the text being less clear, not say blurry, cuz it snot blurry but "not as clear :P"

lol have you tried doing it yet lol? i'm not sure i can switch back, the screen real estate is well worth the text being less clear, not say blurry, cuz it snot blurry but "not as clear :P"

What program? I might try it one day, but probably not forever. It's hard enough to read textbook PDFs.

What program? I might try it one day, but probably not forever. It's hard enough to read textbook PDFs.

Just Nvidia control panel. Like in the picture, you just go to change resolution and set custom, I tried 4k, it didnt work :( lol

I have used this, there is a different method for Nvidia and AMD

Its essentially downsampling.

Giving you the option of 2560x1440p, running within a 1080p frame, giving you sharper lines, hardly worth the benefit however it IS noticeable on certain games more than others.

There was a thread on this forum when it started about ATI downsampling, and had a Nvidia side link to it...

Pumping out the 1440p image, and fitting it within a 1080p frame, there is nothing taken away or no clipping, however because the downsampling effect is great for games without antialiasing options, and can be "slightly" visible on "aliased lines" within the game, the 1440p performance hit is there, the HUD can be too small if it does not scale within the game... But My 27" Phillips 1080p LCD had been using 1440p for a while, however due to the changes made to the driver to make it work, I had flash player green screens no matter if HW accel was on or off so I stopped using downsampling.

Its fun, for a tweaker/tech minded person who knows he can FIX what he BREAKS.

For those who are clueless,.. I wouldn't bother without help in person.

Also using this thread, getting 1440p downsampling, I also had 1080p running @ 75hz as well,.. which I found better, Vsync dips were less annoying @ 75fps compared to 60fps, no tearing :)

Source

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14001-how-to-run-higher-than-the-maximum-resolutions-on-your-display/

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366244

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

In games that support SSAA and you enable it, you're essentially rendering a higher resolution and then having it downsampled to your display's current resolution.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

^ This,.. where games that use SSAA have 2xAA, 4xAA, thats more of a performance hit obviously, but the principle is the same.

1440p benchmark performance levels on a 1080p screen, you'd want a decent card regardless.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

So when is the optimal time to use 1440P over 1080P? Not using any AA on games with SSAA? Confused a little.