i7 6950X (10 core) officially leaked on Intel's website

asim1999

Ok other than for content professionals this is really unnecessary. Games don't even max out a 4 Core 8 thread CPU let alone a 20 thread beast.

7 minutes ago, beach_boy98 said:

Ok other than for content professionals this is really unnecessary. Games don't even max out a 4 Core 8 thread CPU let alone a 20 thread beast.

True, i5 is all we need for ultra setting at the moment 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No I wouldn't say that since DDR4 is obviously going to have a lot more bandwidth than DDR3. But you can see for encryption/decryption the 5820K is only slightly ahead of the 4960X since they're both 6 core CPUs except the 5820K uses a newer architecture. All I'm saying is that AMD has to improve a ton in order to match or BEAT the current high end Intel CPUs like the OP is suggesting at around the same price. I want them to do that because it is better for the consumer but there's no denying that it'll be hard work and we know next to nothing about Zen. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

How does something "officially leaks"? You mean it leaked and Intel confirmed it? 

It leaked on Intel's ARK website. You can find it in Google caches.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

7 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Mostly only higher end really expensive xeons are overclockable. 

The 1600 series has the unlocked multiplier. The ones I am talking about are 26xx ES chips. Depending on the stepping and your board, you can get some intense overclocks out of them, assuming you can keep the heat under control. Odd part is, the exact stepping is the same one that doesn't allow turbo boost to work. Pretty odd, huh?

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Huh... Neat! Well, I always do custom water cooling (school desktop being an exception since it moves into a storage locker and out every 5 months), so that's really not an issue.

Is there a list of the ones that will overclock?

I'll get the exact stepping for you, but I am pretty sure every ES chip in the same family has the same ability to OC. Will have to ask my friend on telegram, since he knows far more about it than I do, to get specific answers. I know for a fact the EVGA X99 Classy and ASRock X99 OCF boards are capable of overclocking them though. Combination of external clock shenanigans and a stepping that does not care if BCLK is touched. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The 10-core aspect is just speculation.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I love how all of you are crying "monopoly" when you aren't even realizing what the fuck Intel is actually doing. The 8 core's staying at $999. This is a 10 core chip actually binned and at $1500. Guess which one's more expensive to do.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

39 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The 10-core aspect is just speculation.

Possibly, but at this point the rumor's been going on for so long at this point that I'm beyond doubting that it's a 10-core part. I'm just surprised they're upping the core-count on an extreme edition lineup so soon, I would've thought that we would've seen such a thing on Skylake.

27 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Possibly, but at this point the rumor's been going on for so long at this point that I'm beyond doubting that it's a 10-core part. I'm just surprised they're upping the core-count on an extreme edition lineup so soon, I would've thought that we would've seen such a thing on Skylake.

Skylake-E may not need an upped core count if they're including AVX2-512, and 4-way SMT on Skylake-EP.  The jump to the Xeon price-range would be overly justified for those two features, not including all the other technologies, like Optane and NVDIMM.

17 hours ago, asim1999 said:

I really wish that they don't increase the prices this year as AMD Zen will win when it comes to value

I hope they don't DEcrease prices this year by over 50% so AMD Zen can win anyway.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

5 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

It was quoted at the outset of the post:

It's being speculated that the i7-6950X will be the first client-platform CPU with 10 cores

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

21 hours ago, porina said:

I found the "up to" speed curious, and in a quick look it appears to be the turbo clock. Base would be lower. Of course, I'd expect many to overclock, but this gives an insight too.

I agree with your reasoning here. Going by past experiences, it should top out at 4GHz for most.

Do want but in the high end mainstream segment, not paying the EE tax and the 4790k is still doing great.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?