2.6 TB of documents showing "how the rich and powerful use tax havens to hide their wealth" leaked

Blade of Grass

So, just for curiosities' sake, can someone provide a couple-sentence explanation of how this whole "scam" was working?  I think it could be a useful amendment to the OP, since I'm not entirely clear on it to be honest.  So, people would form a corporation in a country with laxer tax laws, and then pay these people (the ones who had the 2.6 TB stolen from them) to manage it and route money through it in order to pay less tax in their true country of origin?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

45 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So, just for curiosities' sake, can someone provide a couple-sentence explanation of how this whole "scam" was working?  I think it could be a useful amendment to the OP, since I'm not entirely clear on it to be honest.  So, people would form a corporation in a country with laxer tax laws, and then pay these people (the ones who had the 2.6 TB stolen from them) to manage it and route money through it in order to pay less tax in their true country of origin?

rich person calls company

company sets up banking accounts in tax havens

rich customer sends money to off-shore accounts through help of company

off-shore accounts not subject to tax

rich customer gets richer.

I'll be soon replacing the idiom "gone the way of the dodo" with the much more appropiate "the way of the human".

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

I'm just streaming the data through a home-rolled text parser on my machine looking for names. Currently I'm also looking for Clinton, Cruz, and many others.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that patrickjp93 is using a home-rolled text parser. That means he coded it himself.

In one of the papers that I have found, there is a warrant issued that allows LAPD to take the fingerprints of the guy and use them on the iPhone to unlock it.

Isn't that basically the court allowing the police to force the guy to self-incriminate himself?

Damn. That's a lot of data. Too bad all these rich people have enough money to pay the judges and lawyers, just to get away with it. Hopefully something will be done about this whole thing, but that is very unlikely.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

there is a reason they don't have anything on any american citizens , it's because it would lead back to Soros eventually , he made sure that in no way this comes to bite him in the ass .

On to the actual leak the only thing surprising was U.K stuff, and that Putin name wasn't there even once, also just 2 bil $ meh, i expected way more , like 10-20 times at least

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

21 hours ago, Sidiox said:

This is insanity, I cannot wait till this all unravels and we get some more hard numbers on for instance the amounts of money involved. I never believed in the "shadow business men" but damn this is making it very hard to become very paranoid

21 hours ago, Sidiox said:

This is insanity, I cannot wait till this all unravels and we get some more hard numbers on for instance the amounts of money involved. I never believed in the "shadow business men" but damn this is making it very hard to become very paranoid

Can't wait for a list of names to be revealed and for the political shit to hot the fan. 

21 hours ago, Johners said:

It'll be interesting to see the full extent of this but sadly nothing "good" (an entirely subjective term) will come from it.

I disagree completely. I'm looking forward to many politicians being unseated. 

Question now is Donald ze Fuhrer on the list. 

- snip-

2.5yb of text?!

TL:DR

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

While Americans might not be among those in the Panama Papers, don't think for a second they're not doing the same or similar stuff. Virtually every country has citizens who do things like this. They might just a different haven or use more obscure methods to avoid getting caught. 

In either case, you don't get to a position of power and wealth by being a great guy, you get there by being ruthless and unscrupulous. That's how these things work. So even if a name isn't there, it doesn't mean they don't do these things. It just means they're better at hiding it. Like Putin for example: he's not directly implicated but many of his friends and associates are. Why might that be? 

13 hours ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

When did exactly the data was leaked? is this data brand new or they just announced the data was leaked? i'm confused.

13 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Actually no. This info actually comes all the way up till march. And it hasnt been out that long. Only just now.

The Sueddeutsche Zeitung (Newpaper from Southern Germany) was approached about it about a year ago and the thing then got going. But while the data was being worked on, new data kept coming in until late 2015 as far as I can tell. And then the results went public yesterday.

The data itself goes back to 1977. I presume that's why at least parts of it needed to be OCR'd so that it could be indexed and processed electronically. It was probably just scanned handwritten or typed documents. But maybe we'll find out for sure at some point.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

The only thing we need now is a torrent file so the files can be downloaded and it will become impossible to get rid of it :P

Give it to us! :D I want to read some of it tbh.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 hours ago, SSL said:

I'd like to take a moment to point out that patrickjp93 is using a home-rolled text parser. That means he coded it himself.

Yeah, it's not hard to do that. By the end of sophomore year in any good CSE program at the college level, you should know how to write an interpreter. You need a parser for that.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1TB of text is about 1 million thick books, so 2.6TB is about 2.6 million thick books?

http://www.wisegeek.org/how-much-text-is-in-a-kilobyte-or-megabyte.htm

http://www.speechinminutes.com/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

2.5yb of text?!

TL:DR

2.6TB* It's like 60% .pdf, among other things. The original files consist mostly of non-text files, the text files* might be <5-10% of this.

The people behind the release turned everything into raw, searchable text formats for themselves.

edit: Changed a word to make that line clearer.

1 minute ago, Ren said:

2.6TB* It's like 60% .pdf, among other things. The original files consist mostly of non-text files, which might be <5-10% of this.

The people behind the release turned everything into raw, searchable text formats for themselves.

Just curious as to how long it would take to read 2.6TB of text, if there was no pictures. graphics, or other things.  :D

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

https://np.reddit.com/r/PanamaPapers/comments/4dbb7q/how_relevant_is_the_panama_fta_to_the_lack_of_us/

The 2012 Panama Free Trade Act by the U.S. government eased trading of U.S. goods to Panama.

It also included explicit agreements that allow investors in Panama more rights to law transparency and the right to hold the U.S. government accountable for investigations of these private investments that they feel are in violation of the agreements. Does that explain the lack of United States entities included in any media release thus far? How much information will be hidden directly because of the U.S. government's law in favor of Panama foreign investment?

Note that this does not protect Panama from other government investigations, and other governments can target the U.S. as well. That is unless they have similar agreements in place. Can someone help find more information? Share the Panama FTA link with people so we can find out what's going on.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Just curious as to how long it would take to read 2.6TB of text, if there was no pictures. graphics, or other things.  :D

Put it this way. The Hillary Clinton declassified/nonclassified emails are publicly available on a government website as per investigation rules. That leak is extremely tiny. It took me like an hour to look through maybe 400 emails. I was skimming for the most part and the majority of them are less than 300 words.

I can read about 200-300+ pages per hour on an average word density book with 600+ pages when trying to fly through filler, but to actually read 2.6TB worth of files as raw text would take an individual weeks/months, dedicated.

6 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

I disagree completely. I'm looking forward to many politicians being unseated. 

Question now is Donald ze Fuhrer on the list. 

Why would you be worried about him being on the list at all? He's not even in government yet. He's not insanely wealthy and has less connections than the majority of people revealed initially. Stop caring about people that don't matter yet.

And don't do the ad hominem routine. This is a very serious situation, but maybe you're too young to understand the level of importance here. Real discussions without bullshit being thrown in matter a lot right now.

15 hours ago, dimitriianghelov said:

there is a reason they don't have anything on any american citizens , it's because it would lead back to Soros eventually , he made sure that in no way this comes to bite him in the ass .

On to the actual leak the only thing surprising was U.K stuff, and that Putin name wasn't there even once, also just 2 bil $ meh, i expected way more , like 10-20 times at least

Actually the US names are coming the sueddeutsche already made a statement about it.
The current names are just the start the american names are coming later so that they can get their own separate coverage.
The leak is far from over expect some major household names to be dropped in the upcoming weeks and months.

RTX2070OC 

17 minutes ago, JasonRoGo said:

Actually the US names are coming the sueddeutsche already made a statement about it.
The current names are just the start the american names are coming later so that they can get their own separate coverage.
The leak is far from over expect some major household names to be dropped in the upcoming weeks and months.

I love how this leak has lead to a flash election in Iceland.  Mass protests, etc. It's wonderful when people get riled, because a politician, using tax-payer dollars, is storing it in another country.  It's really, really refreshing to watch Iceland right now.  So much so, I need a cup of ice!

On ‎2016‎.‎04‎.‎03‎. at 11:12 PM, Blade of Grass said:

Why should you care?

I hope more information on how this was done is released in the future. 

I hope more information on what did they steal is released... so far we haven't seen anything legit, might as well be something made up by the yellow press to fill the next 3~4 months with controversial content

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:25 PM, Blade of Grass said:

Oh you have a datadump? Link?

He doesn't. He's less than bullshitting, straight up lying. Specifically because it's nigh impossible for him to own the raw documents (others more important and far more capable don't even own them), and definitely doesn't have nor will he ever have the ones processed through ICIJ.

On 4/4/2016 at 7:47 AM, Trixanity said:

While Americans might not be among those in the Panama Papers, don't think for a second they're not doing the same or similar stuff. Virtually every country has citizens who do things like this. They might just a different haven or use more obscure methods to avoid getting caught. 

In either case, you don't get to a position of power and wealth by being a great guy, you get there by being ruthless and unscrupulous. That's how these things work. So even if a name isn't there, it doesn't mean they don't do these things. It just means they're better at hiding it. Like Putin for example: he's not directly implicated but many of his friends and associates are. Why might that be? 

They probably just use a different firm to launder. It cant be the only one that does this.

PM of Iceland also just resigned as a result of him being named in the papers and protests demanding it.

http://grapevine.is/news/2016/04/05/prime-minister-resigns/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-05/icelandic-pm-refuses-to-resign-over-panama-papers-leak/7298944

Edit: The prime minister has not resigned at all, merely appointed the vice-chairman as acting PM for an unspecified amount of time.

Modified Raijintek Metis Mini-ITX Case Build:

Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi Motherboard  |  Intel i5-6600K 3.5 GHz CPU  |  16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM  |  EVGA GTX 950 |  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  | Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W  |  Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler  |  (3) Noctua NF-F12 Case Fans

• 2 weeks later...

there may and probably is more than one of this kind of company. even those 2,6 TB may just be the surface on what happens on world basis.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 4/4/2016 at 5:16 AM, patrickjp93 said:

HAHAHAHAHA! Paul Otellini and more than half of Google's C-Suite are their clients! So are Lisa Su, Jen Hsun Huang, John Carmack, Donald Trump, and more!!!

Still can't find anything about the people you said were included in the leak. Got any proof?