help me on-line game on my college

SinTonNiSon

hi guys so i have quite an annoying problem

During this month i will have to spend several hours on my college doing almost nothing; so today i took my laptop with me to game a bit and i realized that i cant play maybe because of something that the implemented on the network

I think that in orther to bypass that i will have to use a proxy or something similar; but i have no idea about how i have to do that.

Can someone give me a tutorial or provide some screenshots about how can i do that. Keep in mind that i´m a complete noob on this issue

Thanks in advance

Probably only Ports 80 and 443 open. Although in theory you could route gaming traffic through these ports, I am pretty sure, that the firewall of your college would detect and block it. But I am far from a networking expert ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

My friends college didn't allow you to game on wireless networks but on wired networks it was okay. Also there are proxys that you can pay for but they will increase ping.

NES / SNES Emulators, Megaman Unlimited, IWBTG / IWBTB and so on all do not need internet, play some offline games =P

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Probably only Ports 80 and 443 open. Although in theory you could route gaming traffic through these ports, I am pretty sure, that the firewall of your college would detect and block it. But I am far from a networking expert ...

i'm sorry but that does not say anything to me, i mean i can guess what ports are but i dont know how to channel the traffic trough them

i just checked my resources manager and it says that steam has this features

port: 51950

protocol: UDP

Firewall status: allowed / not restricted

Well yeah, your OS has picked a random port to give Steam to send data on. No biggy. What is it that you're trying to achieve and what is it exactly that is stopping you? Basically, what is this thing that they've implemented on the network?

Well yeah, your OS has picked a random port to give Steam to send data on. No biggy. What is it that you're trying to achieve and what is it exactly that is stopping you? Basically, what is this thing that they've implemented on the network?

i want to play Path of Exile or Dota 2

what they have implemented? i have no idea, on poe a window appears and says unable to conect to patching server and steam says that the net is not properly configured for steam

so i have no idea overall about what the hell is happening. If you tell me what to do i can provide you the information you can possibly need

how about hotspot shield free vpn? you could try it for free and it s a sponsor for linus...

it cost nothing to try...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

how about hotspot shield free vpn? you could try it for free and it s a sponsor for linus...

it cost nothing to try...

that does not simply mask me? i mean isn't hotspot shield just to be annonymous on the net???

If only 80 and 443 are open then normal PPTP wont work you will need a host with SSTP or OpenVPN services to be able to tunnel through.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

If only 80 and 443 are open then normal PPTP wont work you will need a host with SSTP or OpenVPN services to be able to tunnel through.

that sounds like chinese to me, tell me how to do stuff not what happens, for simply does not work

the ports stuff was said by a dude i have no idea if that is true

the vpn route all trafic to another location before going to the target destination.

It can be used to communicate securely with another office location and avoid location blocks and since all trafic is rerouted you can choose what port to use...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

hi guys so i have quite an annoying problem

During this month i will have to spend several hours on my college doing almost nothing; so today i took my laptop with me to game a bit and i realized that i cant play maybe because of something that the implemented on the network

I think that in orther to bypass that i will have to use a proxy or something similar; but i have no idea about how i have to do that.

Can someone give me a tutorial or provide some screenshots about how can i do that. Keep in mind that i´m a complete noob on this issue

Thanks in advance

As mentioned you could rent  a VPN service or you could set one up on your home network and route your traffic through there, however you will be limited to your upload speed. Also you can change the port that the VPN operates on i commonly use port 53, 80 or 443 to bypass firewalls. 

A VPN should help you.
You can try to change your DNS to OpenDNS or Google's DNS
or
You can install something like Hotspot Shield.

When they say they mask your identity, what they ment is to assign you an IP that is not tracable.

Below is basically how it works.

Without Proxy/VPN
You ---> Steam Server

With Proxy/VPN
You ---> VPN/Proxy Server ---> Steam Server

If you still use your Steam ID to login, they will still recognize its you. It will not change your login. Proxy server just adds an additional route to your existing connection.
It is most likely your college's Network Admin have blocked ports that game services use.
So if you enroute it through a VPN/Proxy server, you will be able to communicate to the game server.
Since the Proxy/VPN server is not blocked from those game services and you are not blocked from the VPN/Proxy server

ok i will try the free version of shield and i will tell you guys how did i went

thanks for all the help, i hope it works so i can give a best answer ^^