Asus VG248QE 1 ms Thoughts??

Sharkown

What do u guys think of this monitor?

Anyone have any experience with it ?

Heard of Good or Bad things about it ?

If you are gaming, then sure. Because only gaming would need 60Hz or above either to maximize your graphics card (if your gfx card run the game that you play at 60+ fps) or to play in 3D. But honestly, 3D isn't that much of an innovation and personally I don't think it enhances the gaming experience. If you want a different gaming experience, go for 3 displays either in Eyefinity or Nvidia 3D Surround, that changes everything. If gaming is very minor in your system, go for an IPS display. IPS panels are way better than TN panels, the color and the viewing angle make up for the slightly slower refresh rate and response time. If you've got a system that supports thunderbolt, even go for Apple's thunderbolt display. That, is a thing of beauty. Or you could also go for Dell's UltraSharp IPS displays, doesn't look as good but they are slightly cheaper.

Gaming is a big for me, and IPS panel is the plenty fast. Even in FPS gaming. The problem comes in, only if you are a hard core FPS player and play competitively and not fun. Where you are such a hard core player you have "gamer" everything, keyboard, mouse, headset, speaker, and somehow printer (that's a joke).

Gaming with an IPS panel really improves the gaming experience. Graphics.. well textures... looks much better, and you can really enjoy the hard work done by the grapic artiss, and really enjoy the art style that the games follow. No over-saturation to the roof of colors and mo flat, washed out colors either. Of course, the fancier the monitor, the better the colors.

As for response time, I explain here how the number are false: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/...576#post104576

Check in depth reviews to know the real response time of the monitor.

However, it must be noted that in order to get 120Hz, the panel must be able to turn a pixel from white to black, in about 8ms. So you are sure that teh response time from BLACK TO WHITE it indeed 8-9ms, which is very very fast, and you'll notice a difference between a 60Hz monitor.

But, you must remember that a 120Hz/144Hz monitor is useless, if your computer can't play your games at 120fps, or in your case 144 fps. If, with VSync off, you see that your games don't reach 120fps, then you'll be wasting your money, as V-Sync will force the fps down to 60fps.. so every 2 frames being outputted to the monitor are identical.. so you'll get 60Hz.

• 1 month later...

What do u guys think of this monitor? Anyone have any experience with it ? Heard of Good or Bad things about it ?

I have one and it's fantastic.  But, as GoodBytes (and others) say, it's only worth it if you're going to use it for 3D or your GPU(s) can consistently feed it more than 60FPS.

In my case it solved a lot of issues with some games that frame rate caps and Vsync couldn't seem to fix.

And yeah, that 1 ms spec they throw around is "1ms GTG" (gray-to-gray) and therefore pretty much meaningless.  

Here's a ridiculously in-depth review of the display:  http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe

AMD FX8350 • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z • GeForce GTX 780 + 660 Ti x3 • Cooler Master HAF X • ASUS VG248QE 144Hz LCD+GSYNC • Corsair AX860i

Logitech G19 / MX518 • G.Skill RipjawZ 1866 4x4GB • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD • WD 1TB Black SATA IIIx2 • Noctua NH-D15