Rockit 88 Kickstarter funded: Intel CPU Delid Ttool

goodtofufriday
1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Alright, I am convinced. Going against my own personal rules, i backed the project. I really hope you guys succeed with this product. Even as a hardware enthusiast, delidding is something that has always worried me when attempting to take a blade or vice to my $300+ CPU's. I am certain others have this exact same fear. If this product catches on, we might be able to put that fear to rest, and start recommending safe delids for people that absolutely need it. Many times I have seen bad luck chips with air bubbles under the IHS, or bad coverage in general.

I am interested in seeing how the relid tool works. I had plans of just coating the edge of the IHS with nail polish to keep it held in place, but if the relid tool works great, I might pick one of those up as well.

Some CPU have air bubbles between the IHS and die? In that case it explains with the same thermal paste and cooler my 4790K running 15-20oC warmer than my i5 4440 at idle (i5 4440 idled at ambient-despite the stock TIM), I of course expect the i7 to idle a bit hotter due to HT, but since the idle speed for both is 800MHz, and the 4790K's idle voltage is lower, that would explain a lot.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Some CPU have air bubbles between the IHS and die? In that case it explains with the same thermal paste and cooler my 4790K running 15-20oC warmer than my i5 4440 at idle (i5 4440 idled at ambient-despite the stock TIM), I of course expect the i7 to idle a bit hotter due to HT, but since the idle speed for both is 800MHz, and the 4790K's idle voltage is lower, that would explain a lot.

I don't know exactly how they end up there, as I assume it's all done by machines, but we had a friend on telegram with a 4790k that would hit 90C on stock voltage and stock clock speeds, on an AiO water cooler on Prime95. Not even 48k FFT, just normal blend. Delidded, his paste under the IHS was pretty bad. A literal bare spot on the die itself. Replaced it with CLU, literal 30C difference in temps. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

12 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I don't know exactly how they end up there, as I assume it's all done by machines, but we had a friend on telegram with a 4790k that would hit 90C on stock voltage and stock clock speeds, on an AiO water cooler on Prime95. Not even 48k FFT, just normal blend. Delidded, his paste under the IHS was pretty bad. A literal bare spot on the die itself. Replaced it with CLU, literal 30C difference in temps. 

That's what my 4790K is like, bloody runs a shitload hotter than I thought it would. I'm using a Seidon 120V, and cranking up the fan+having the water block mounted correctly with AS5 I was having it thermal throttle under P95.

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That's what my 4790K is like, bloody runs a shitload hooter than I thought it would. I'm using a Seidon 120V, and cranking up the fan+having the water block mounted correctly with AS5 I was having it thermal throttle under P95.

Sounds EXACTLY like our friends i7. Delidded it with CLU on the die, MX-4 on top of the IHS, and remounted his AiO, and temps dropped 30C. I need to go through telegram to see if i can find a picture of his die. It was awful.

EDIT: That took less time than I thought. Thank you Telegram's search function!

eeiegCW.jpg

Notice how caked on half of the compound is, and how there are extremely thin bare spots on the die itself? It was horrible.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Sounds EXACTLY like our friends i7. Delidded it with CLU on the die, MX-4 on top of the IHS, and remounted his AiO, and temps dropped 30C. I need to go through telegram to see if i can find a picture of his die. It was awful.

Honestly, all of Haswell really is a mixed bag when it comes to temps. An i5 4440 with the original and supposedly bad TIM should never be idling at ambient while the CPU at the high end of the price bracket struggle to go under 40oC.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Honestly, all of Haswell really is a mixed bag when it comes to temps. An i5 4440 with the original and supposedly bad TIM should never be idling at ambient while the CPU at the high end of the price bracket struggle to go under 40oC.

Read my edited post above, managed to find the pic. I am willing to bet yours looks similar to his. 

Just now, MageTank said:

Read my edited post above, managed to find the pic. I am willing to bet yours looks similar to his. 

I'll have to get the tool (or do it myself using meccano-I could make my own deliding tool with it) after getting some CLU+MX 4 (MX 4 has been on the to-buy list for a while after the disappointment of AS5, the recommendations, and because I used it before and its what was on my i5 4440 when it was idling at ambient. I won't practice on my i5 however so if I screw up, at least I'll have 1 CPU that I can withstand and runs cool (would never use something slower than my i5 4440 daily unless its a laptop CPU).

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

I'll have to get the tool (or do it myself using meccano-I could make my own deliding tool with it) after getting some CLU+MX 4 (MX 4 has been on the to-buy list for a while after the disappointment of AS5, the recommendations, and because I used it before and its what was on my i5 4440 when it was idling at ambient. I won't practice on my i5 however so if I screw up, at least I'll have 1 CPU that I can withstand and runs cool (would never use something slower than my i5 4440 daily unless its a laptop CPU).

I can vouch for MX4 and the compound that is included with Phanteks coolers. Both are nearly the same in terms of performance, with MX-4 being slightly easier to spread. But man, Bought two phanteks coolers for my brothers, and they sent me two giant tubes in the box. Am set on normal compound for a really long time, lol. 

Personally, have never used CLU yet. Gonna order a 6700k since I just backed this delid tool, and give CLU a try. Friends of mine say a very, VERY little goes a long way. I only hope a delidded 6700k can be tamed with a 45mm ITX cooler. Might need to undervolt, even with a delid x.x

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I can vouch for MX4 and the compound that is included with Phanteks coolers. Both are nearly the same in terms of performance, with MX-4 being slightly easier to spread. But man, Bought two phanteks coolers for my brothers, and they sent me two giant tubes in the box. Am set on normal compound for a really long time, lol. 

Personally, have never used CLU yet. Gonna order a 6700k since I just backed this delid tool, and give CLU a try. Friends of mine say a very, VERY little goes a long way. I only hope a delidded 6700k can be tamed with a 45mm ITX cooler. Might need to undervolt, even with a delid x.x

Considering how hot Skylake runs, a cooler like that should be fine. And I've got plenty of thermal compound as well, around 130grams of the 150gram tube, but, well, its this stuff: http://www.chemtools.com.au/product/electrical-and-electronics/production-and-rework/heat-sink-compound/

PMSL

@RockitCool will these be available indefinitely? Im considering getting one for my 3570k but just not this moment.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

They say they are also working on an amd FX versiona as well.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

17 hours ago, MageTank said:

Alright, I am convinced. Going against my own personal rules, i backed the project. I really hope you guys succeed with this product. Even as a hardware enthusiast, delidding is something that has always worried me when attempting to take a blade or vice to my $300+ CPU's. I am certain others have this exact same fear. If this product catches on, we might be able to put that fear to rest, and start recommending safe delids for people that absolutely need it. Many times I have seen bad luck chips with air bubbles under the IHS, or bad coverage in general.

I am interested in seeing how the relid tool works. I had plans of just coating the edge of the IHS with nail polish to keep it held in place, but if the relid tool works great, I might pick one of those up as well.

MageTank, your support is much appreciated. Upon reaching our current stretch goal, the delid tool and relid attachment will ship together for all backers. Instructions for best relidding practices will be available by that time.

By the way, do you play EverQuest? Your name sounds familiar :)

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

@RockitCool will these be available indefinitely? Im considering getting one for my 3570k but just not this moment.

After the kickstarter has ended, the Rockit 88 will be for sale at our online store indefinitely.

Just want to confirm that this would also work for X99 platform CPUs? I know it says Haswell, but that would also mean z series instead.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

10 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

Just want to confirm that this would also work for X99 platform CPUs? I know it says Haswell, but that would also mean z series instead.

syoumans54, sorry for any confusion! As far as I know, all Intel X-Chipset motherboards use a physically larger CPU socket like the LGA 2011 and LGA 2011-v3. The Rockit 88 is designed only to work with the smaller LGA 1151 and similar sized sockets e.g. 1150, 1155.

2 hours ago, RockitCool said:

syoumans54, sorry for any confusion! As far as I know, all Intel X-Chipset motherboards use a physically larger CPU socket like the LGA 2011 and LGA 2011-v3. The Rockit 88 is designed only to work with the smaller LGA 1151 and similar sized sockets e.g. 1150, 1155.

Do you have any intention on making one for X99 as well? Or are you guys just going to stick with the 11xx sockets for now? I'm probably going to back it to get one for my 6700k, but I would like to know if you do intend to make one in the future for X99 as I'd buy that as well. 

6 hours ago, RockitCool said:

MageTank, your support is much appreciated. Upon reaching our current stretch goal, the delid tool and relid attachment will ship together for all backers. Instructions for best relidding practices will be available by that time.

By the way, do you play EverQuest? Your name sounds familiar :)

After the kickstarter has ended, the Rockit 88 will be for sale at our online store indefinitely.

I played it a long, long time ago. After that, i moved to Silkroad Online, then 9Dragons, then Perfect World, then Guild Wars 2, then Elder Scrolls Online, and now The Division. Basically, MMO's and RPG's are the only games I tend to play. In most games that I do play, i tend to make a magical user that can tank. Hence, the name, lol.

58 minutes ago, mattebad said:

Do you have any intention on making one for X99 as well? Or are you guys just going to stick with the 11xx sockets for now? I'm probably going to back it to get one for my 6700k, but I would like to know if you do intend to make one in the future for X99 as I'd buy that as well. 

We plan to make one after our Kickstarter is over. It will be made out of aluminum with an open top so you can heat your processor while its inside.

47 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I played it a long, long time ago. After that, i moved to Silkroad Online, then 9Dragons, then Perfect World, then Guild Wars 2, then Elder Scrolls Online, and now The Division. Basically, MMO's and RPG's are the only games I tend to play. In most games that I do play, i tend to make a magical user that can tank. Hence, the name, lol.

I usually stick with enchanter, some of them can easily play like a tank. Fun times.

3 hours ago, RockitCool said:

We plan to make one after our Kickstarter is over. It will be made out of aluminum with an open top so you can heat your processor while its inside.

Awesome! I'll definitely buy that once you guys announce it and inevitebly release it. Very cool, and thanks for responding so fast

Wot, isn't x99 still using solder? Why would you delid one of those, unless you're going for direct to die cooling which is a bad idea imo lol

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

9 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Wot, isn't x99 still using solder? Why would you delid one of those, unless you're going for direct to die cooling which is a bad idea imo lol

All of Intel's 22nm CPU, and all those afterwards, use TIM instead of solder.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Swatson said:

We get requests from Mac Pro users who upgrade their Xeon CPUs which are soldered, apparently the ones Apple used didn't have integrated heat spreaders from the factory.

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

All of Intel's 22nm CPU, and all those afterwards, use TIM instead of solder.

X99 SKU's are soldered on. It's why you don't see people having the same massive per-core temp difference on Haswell-E that you tend to see with Haswell and Skylake. 

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

X99 SKU's are soldered on. It's why you don't see people having the same massive per-core temp difference on Haswell-E that you tend to see with Haswell and Skylake. 

So the stuff about melting the silicon with the solder is BS? *sigh*

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

So the stuff about melting the silicon with the solder is BS? *sigh*

I've personally never heard of that one. I just know it's soldered on, because a guy broke his CPU trying to delid it, and made the news from multiple tech sources, lol.

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Intel-Haswell-E-De-Lidded-Solder-Its-Thermal-Interface