Windows 10 users, what are the things that you dislike about OS X?

iUSEMAC

So I just wanted to know what are the things that Windows users dislike about OS X. Please try to exclude games compatibility and hardware limitations, I just want to know about the OS.

This is comparing apples to oranges. I will humor you though: software incompatibility, Apple made it, and last but not least, heavily focused on aesthetics. Granted it is a very powerful OS but that is partly because it is based off of UNIX and its derivatives. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I actually use it frequently and like it, but have many little unimportant peeves about it just like with windows.

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

No 'My computer' button on start menu, i got one on keyboard so its ok.

21 minutes ago, iUSEMAC said:

So I just wanted to know what are the things that Windows users dislike about OS X. Please try to exclude games compatibility and hardware limitations, I just want to know about the OS.

note i dont use macs a lot so dis could be wrong\

u can mess with it (customize it)

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

You're asking as if Windows users have experience with both...

Uhh I was asking to them who had used both.

15 minutes ago, courtiousdoge said:

note i dont use macs a lot so dis could be wrong\

u can mess with it (customize it)

Of course you can. UX Patcher FTW.

Just now, iUSEMAC said:

Of course you can. UX Patcher FTW.

oh den sorry just to be clear ment stuff like messing with its bios and recoding it to be more like u want it to be

Less games support. Simply not as used to it so it's a bit different for me.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Have to admit I haven't checked if anything has changed in more recent versions, but I couldn't stand the mouse movement on a Mac. I am particularly fussy, and I like a purely linear mouse movement. That is, the pointer moves proportionately to the mouse distance and NOT speed in any way. I absolutely hate the way the mouse movement dies below a certain speed on Mac, making it unusable to me. It feels worse than playing Flappy Birds. At the time I had a Mac, there was no way to turn this off short of using low level hacks. Windows at least lets you easily turn this off by un-checking the "enhance pointer precision" box. In the end I installed XP so as not to waste the hardware, and it actually performed faster that way too. Hardware was an early Intel Mac Mini and I even paid extra for ram so it wasn't base spec either.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Apple isn't complying with the BSD License.

Neither is Microsoft.

Both suck for the money.

1 minute ago, VinsinityKT said:

Less games support. Simply not as used to it so it's a bit different for me.

umm didnt he say not including no games support

Here is what I like in OSX over Windows:

• not that many frequent security updates, and updates don't go on forever
  • installing and uninstalling applications is much easier
  • things like temporary files and left over software installation files/folders are not as big an issue
  • Spotlight Search is better (but Windows 10 seems to come in a close second), Spotlight Search is the feature I use most to find documents and open applications
  • menu system is unified, but so is the menu system in a lot of Linux distros

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 minutes ago, courtiousdoge said:

umm didnt he say not including no games support

I been awake for 32+ hrs. My mind isn't working correctly.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

51 minutes ago, iUSEMAC said:

no aupport for exe

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

no aupport for exe

exe is just a container for an executable file, in OSX it is app.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

53 minutes ago, iUSEMAC said:

tbh I kinda feel overwelmes by the 50ish apps on the bottom/side menu bar.  id rather have my search bar and a few used apps or the ones I pin myself

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

exe is just a container for an executable file, in OSX it is app.

whatever name it is you give to the thing makong mac and pc software incompatible. I forgot the name

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

whatever name it is you give to the thing makong mac and pc software incompatible. I forgot the name

They are incompatible not because a file is .exe or .app.  They are incompatible because the programs for Windows and OSX are designed and complied differently.  Why don't you complain that you can't play Playstation games on xBox?

9 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

no aupport for exe

Although exe has different structure as compared to that of app on mac you can still run a handful programs from Windows through an application called WineBottler.

Major things I dislike about OS X:

1)  I simply don't like the Aqua GUI at all. 

-The top taskbar and dock design can be sexy enough, but I much prefer the taskbar/Start Menu feel of Windows. 

-I absolutely HATE how in OSX, closing with the red X simply "minimizes" the app, but keeps the app running until you actually quit it.  I further hated it when Windows 8/8.1 adopted that feature, and think that one of the best features of Windows 10 was them getting rid of that.

-I hate how "minimize/maximize" work in Aqua in conjunction with the dock.  A lot.  And I don't think that navigating between apps is any more efficient than using the taskbar and/or Windows keyboard shortcuts.

-Lots of little things, but overall, I don't like Aqua at all.

2) Far, far, far more software is available for Windows.  And generally, much broader internet support is available for Windows versions of cross-platform apps.  If nothing else, this is the primary reason I will always be a Windows user.

3) I absolutely hate Apple's push for a proprietary ecosystem.  Consider that to use OS X, you must use it on a Mac.  It's great if you want everything to be Apple-centric.  But I much prefer the approach that platforms like Windows/Linux take: You got hardware?  Drop our OS on it.  I That was always one of Windows' big selling points: Supporting the most hardware/software it could.  They aren't angels, and I'm not saying that at all.  But when Windows has tried to push people in to their own ecosystem before, they got raked over the coals for it.  When Apple does it, people never really flinch an eye.

4) I don't like Apple's paternalism.  I prefer to "take risks" with my computer, and be held accountable for my actions.  I don't need Apple to put up a few extra barriers to prevent me from running such and so app that wasn't signed in the App store, et. al.  El Capitan in particular pissed me off because I had to boot in to recovery and disable rootless via terminal just to install an app.  It was easy enough to do, but come on.  Wanting to run a program such as CDock should not have required that.

5) Price.  No one will ever convince me that having to spend that amount of money on Apple hardware would be worth it to own OS X.

Things I like about OS X:

1) Being familiar with Linux/Unix, I like that the terminal is essentially the same in OS X.  That's of course because as mentioned, OS X is based on a Unix-like kernel.

-But Microsoft is also remedying this.  As in a few months, Windows 10 is getting bash! :)

2) Legally, it's the only OS that can natively dual-boot and/or virtualize all of the major OS platforms (Windows, Mac, *Nix).  Being a huge nerd for this kind of stuff (hell, virtualization is exactly HOW I experienced Linux/Unix and Mac), I think that's pretty cool.  Of course Windows and *Nix can do all 3 as well.  But doing it on a Mac doesn't require breaking any laws.

3) That aforementioned paternalism has a positive side effect: It helps lead to a more secure OS.  And with OS X being frankly much less popular than Windows, there's a lot less malware that can afflict it.  Sure, those numbers have drastically increased in the past five years.  But consider that it took until 2016 for OS X to get its first known ransomware...

Still not worth it for me.  But I can see the appeal.

Things I'm indifferent about:

1) I would've said that lack of a registry in OS X is nicer.  But honestly, dealing with kexts can be just as easy, or just as much of a pain in the ass depending on what you're doing.

2) App installation.  While structurally much different in Windows and OS X, as far as the end-user is concerned, it's the same in most areas (required motions, length of time, etc).

4 hours ago, iUSEMAC said:

When I used OS X, granted I got less error than Windows, but those errors, I couldn't fix so it became so god damn annoying. It was error after error. Also, half of the apps available for the last OS wouldn't be compatible with the new one and the apps I wanted for mac weren't for it. Example: I wanted to set a key shortcut for volume on my keyboard (non apple keyboard). It look me one hour to find an app that actually worked as I wanted to make this shortcut. So, eventually, it pissed me off so much that I sold my mac and build my PC with Windows 10.

.I hate the X button that closes it to minimise it instead

.The OS has become too bright since Yosemite (granted there is dark mode but it looks like shit and doesn't actually make everything dark)

.I would always have problems reinstalling me OS because of some disk bull crap I never dealt with in Windows

.I hate how secure it is. If I download an app online i have to go to preferences and allow myself to open it or else its useless. Just let me click "I agree to open" FFS

.Apple is all "Our OS is elegant" but I have found many bugs in the OS after using it for a while

46 minutes ago, jordanmaloney said:

When I used OS X, granted I got less error than Windows, but those errors, I couldn't fix so it became so god damn annoying. It was error after error. Also, half of the apps available for the last OS wouldn't be compatible with the new one and the apps I wanted for mac weren't for it. Example: I wanted to set a key shortcut for volume on my keyboard (non apple keyboard). It look me one hour to find an app that actually worked as I wanted to make this shortcut. So, eventually, it pissed me off so much that I sold my mac and build my PC with Windows 10.

.I hate the X button that closes it to minimise it instead

.The OS has become too bright since Yosemite (granted there is dark mode but it looks like shit and doesn't actually make everything dark)

.I would always have problems reinstalling me OS because of some disk bull crap I never dealt with in Windows

.I hate how secure it is. If I download an app online i have to go to preferences and allow myself to open it or else its useless. Just let me click "I agree to open" FFS

.Apple is all "Our OS is elegant" but I have found many bugs in the OS after using it for a while

lol when I clicked the dark mode in preferences even I was confused what changed, the only things that changed were the menubar and dock and that too were subtle. I agree with the disk utility part it took me a while to figure out how to erase my partitions. As you mentioned the OS X's so called "security" feature is actually a  pain in the ass, you have to enter your password even to make a new folder I mean c'mon apple we know what we are doing.

5 hours ago, iUSEMAC said:

Well just like linus said in the I switched to the imac series, there's no way to sort out files they are always mixed up, no refresh button. But then the imac 5k vs dell inspiron 580 performance, seems like imac is faster than dell inspiron 580 running Windows 10. The animation and the application launch time is faster on the Mac too.