Upgrading laptop screen TN to IPS?

Go to solution Solved by AMICLG,
7 minutes ago, Heizu said:

Finding a screen isnt a problem, they make them specifically for this model. With the correct connections and sizing.

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/X555UB-NH51/

Just wasn't sure if there is another limiting factor, and also not sure about the general quality of these ips screen.

However i figure most any ips is better than this poor TN.

IPS is a patent of LG so any screen that says IPS is going to made exclusively by LG (one of the top panel manufacturers in the word) so quality isn't an issue if its new. You can always lookup the panel on panelook to make sure it's genuine. 

If it's LVDS than it's going to compatible electronically. They're just universal mobile displays (pretty much every laptop has universal screen), the site seems to sort what panels are compatible. 

Hello LTT Community,

I recently purchased an Asus x555ub-nh51 laptop.

i5 6200U w/ 940m which I got at a solid price.

Ive been upgrading what i could, switched optical drive for caddy

and added ssd to drive slot, hdd to caddy.

Runs like a dream now but this TN panel color accuracy is terrible.

So i was wondering if anyone had experience switching to an

ips display on this computer series.

There are ips screens available for my laptop just not sure if because

my system has a TN originally is it limited in some way.

Also are IPS displays more power hungry than TNs?, 

that could effect my choice if whether the upgrade is worthwhile.

Thanks for any info!

The panel size and the bezel size is what's important take it out and measure it then find a like size IPS panel. Just make sure the new panel has a LVDS connection. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

4 minutes ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

The panel size and the bezel size is what's important take it out and measure it then find a like size IPS panel. Just make sure the new panel has a LVDS connection. 

Finding a screen isnt a problem, they make them specifically for this model. With the correct connections and sizing.

Just wasn't sure if there is another limiting factor, and also not sure about the general quality of these ips screen.

7 minutes ago, Heizu said:

IPS is a patent of LG so any screen that says IPS is going to made exclusively by LG (one of the top panel manufacturers in the word) so quality isn't an issue if its new. You can always lookup the panel on panelook to make sure it's genuine. 

If it's LVDS than it's going to compatible electronically. They're just universal mobile displays (pretty much every laptop has universal screen), the site seems to sort what panels are compatible. 

Just now, AdamIsaacLang said:

Ah good to know, Thanks for all the help!

Do u by chance have any knowledge on the power consumption aspect of

ips vs tn?

Just now, Heizu said:

Ah good to know, Thanks for all the help!

Do u by chance have any knowledge on the power consumption aspect of

ips vs tn?

Power consumption is likely so close it won't matter. They build the drivers to handle a lot more than what they need.

panelook give you also informations ower powerconsumpion (typical from 2,5 to 5W) and in generall modern Panels doesnt consume that much

btw make sure that your current panel use a LVDS conection, other modern

conectors today are 30pin eDP or 40pin eDP not any laptop use LVDS 

7 minutes ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

Power consumption is likely so close it won't matter. They build the drivers to handle a lot more than what they need.

6 minutes ago, Narnash said:

panelook give you also informations ower powerconsumpion (typical from 2,5 to 5W) and in generall modern Panels doesnt consume that much

Welps guess ill be buying an ips display soon then aha.

Thank you both for your help!

• 2 years later...

Sir, I Have HP Pivilion Ab522tx i5 6th generation. Its factory Display is 1080 FHD TV LED having 30-pin eDP connector. Can I install the IPS FHD led on this Laptop machine.?