Lighting Project

So this year for my electronic engineering course at college I have to complete an "electronic based project."

For this I'm planning on making an LED lighting system for my PC, but making it considerably cheaper and more customisable than what's currently available.

I'm planning to use and arduino to control the LED's.

I'll be doing all the soldering, wiring and housing for the LED's and arduino unit programming myself.

I want to differentiate my product from anything else that available, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestion.

So far I've had these ideas:

• LED strips which light up in patterns controlled by a program off of the arduino. similar the "demo" mode on some backlit keyboards.
  • Linking the arduino to the sound output of my PC (Not entirely sure how I'd do this. Possibly just using a microphone although that wouldn't be ideal) and get the LED's to respond to the sound using filters

I also need an idea on how to effectively mount the lights, and the arduino in my case. I want it to be fairly secure, but more importantly, look good (hidden?) when the side panel is back on the computer.

I'm also open to suggestions regarding the setup of the LED's. They don't have to be in a strip.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rhys

Velcro, Electrical tape, and 3M double sided tape should do the trick.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What about controlling the color of the LEDs based on the temperature (or fan speed) of the PC? Could be cool to have the LEDs light up blue when surfing the internet then go all red when gaming :P

Velcro, Electrical tape, and 3M double sided tape should do the trick.

Sounds like a plan :) Thanks

What about controlling the color of the LEDs based on the temperature (or fan speed) of the PC? Could be cool to have the LEDs light up blue when surfing the internet then go all red when gaming :P

That sounds pretty cool actually :) I was planning on having 2 strips (one top one bottom) so maybe one audio one, and one temperature one?