Has Nvidia Forgotten Kepler? The GTX 780 Ti vs. the 290X Revisited

http://www.bytemedev.com/the-gtx-780-ti-sli-end-of-life-driver-performance-analysis/

It's pretty clear that Nvidia got all they could out of the 780Ti. The 290X just had a bit more left.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

28 minutes ago, Hawx said:

http://www.bytemedev.com/the-gtx-780-ti-sli-end-of-life-driver-performance-analysis/

It's pretty clear that Nvidia got all they could out of the 780Ti. The 290X just had a bit more left.

Those graphs, I appear to be on the wrong driver for my benching though, been using 350.12.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

19 hours ago, SkepticKrab said:

Buy nVidia if you want performance today (Dragster),

buy AMD if you want performance that lasts (Le Mans 24)

Needless oversimplification.

12 hours ago, MMKing said:

Is anyone really surprised? Take a look at how Gameworks butchered fallout 4 performance on the 600/700 cards, while only causing mild reductions on the 900 series.

You people just love pulling Gameworks into discussions huh. Even where it's not even remotely fucking applicable. The 7970 has 3,8 Tflops, the 680 had 3,0 Tflops. It has more raw potential. And when you contrast the current 390 vs. the 970. It's 5 TFlops vs. 3,5 Tflops. The GTX980 is much closer, at 4,6 (and sporting 72Gpixel instead of 64). I expect the 390X to trade blows with the 980 @ DX12.

The fact nvidia has been able to trade blows with such "inferior" hardware is commendable. But ultimately it also means that there is no more extra power to tap. Whilst AMD cards still have potentially more to gain. Eventhough their texture/pixel fillrates lie significantly lower, compared to their raw compute.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2664/radeon-r9-390.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/296/radeon-hd-7970.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/342/geforce-gtx-680.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2620/geforce-gtx-970.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2621/geforce-gtx-980.html

41 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The fact nvidia has been able to trade blows with such "inferior" hardware is commendable. But ultimately it also means that there is no more extra power to tap. Whilst AMD cards still have potentially more to gain. Eventhough their texture/pixel fillrates lie significantly lower, compared to their raw compute.

Could also add that because of the "rebrand" or closeness of the AMD cards from generation to generation, we could potentially be seeing improvements in the old cards, since improvements that were intended for the 390(X) would also benefit the 290(X). 

So AMD cards age better than nvidia, polaris it is then :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

DX12 (amd) vs DX11 (nvidia)

"obviously" AMD have age better ;D

On 01/04/2016 at 3:55 PM, samcool55 said:

So AMD cards age better than nvidia, polaris it is then :D

if you haven't noticed that trend before now, then seriously, what have you been doing for the past 4 years worth of reviews?

On 4/2/2016 at 8:03 PM, 7850OC said:

DX12 (amd) vs DX11 (nvidia)

"obviously" AMD have age better ;D

WTF.jpg

da size, pls.

You have to take into account how much room for improvement there was/is in the AMD driver, it still is a CPU hogger, the more they reduce this, the more performance will be gained...it looks like between 2013 and 2016 they have reduced it by 5-7% and there still looks like there is even more to be eeeeeked out of it too, in DirectX 11....

DirectX 12 remains to be seen, AMD has an advantage now and GNC seems very suited to DX12, Nvidia doesn't seem to have an answer to it right now, but maybe they are just playing the waiting game, as the only real DX12 game is ashes, and that performs quite well under DX11 for Nvidia. So there is no real rush...Async computer seems to be Nvidia Kryptonite right now, it's been a good while now, and they don't seem to have come up with a solution for their Maxwell cards....I suspect there is not going to be one, i think this will be a step too far to do in software....so they have unintentionally built in obsolescence into maxwell with their short term thinking....If Async compute turns out to be a godlike feature in DX12 in terms of performance gains and If Pascal turns out it can't do Async compute Nvidia will really be behind the blackball, and AMD will start to pull market share back........but that's a big IF...

I'm Glad i don't have an Nvidia card right now....as the days go by, my Fury purchase is looking better and better...looks like i will be getting over the 60fps threshold for a bit longer than if i had picked up a 980 right now.....Things may change though..

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Considering the fact that it was only around November last year that my Mobility Radeon HD5650 became unsupported because AMD had optimized as much as they could for what is the first DX11 capable GPU, I can actually believe that Nvidia isn't fixing the mistakes made by devs for all of their graphics cards.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My 690 keeps getting improvements so I wouldnt say so.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Can we get enough people to ask @LinusTech or @Slick to test the HD7970 and the GTX680 using launch drivers and then the latest drivers? Please?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

On 31/03/2016 at 1:58 AM, DuckDodgers said:

it_photo_203941.jpg.13cfcb83f376a34ba799

Who aged better -- Kepler or Hawaii? The two former top-end architectures from 2013 have received different treatment over the their lifespan. While Nvidia simply moved along with a new GPU architecture (Maxwell), AMD's GCN have seen much less revolutionary changes, with only iterative architectural upgrades from Tahiti to the latest HBM-powered Fiji GPUs. AMD were definitely forced to spend time with the driver optimizations instead, with some notable effects. 

-- TL;DR --

Source: http://www.babeltechreviews.com/nvidia-forgotten-kepler-gtx-780-ti-vs-290x-revisited/view-all/

One thing that I don't like about this, is the fact that they say that the 290X was rebranded to the 390X. A new card is never a rebrand and people should learn that. If nvidia made new cards (like the 970, 980 etc) and the 390X beats some of them, then how is it a rebrand? This is clearly not a reputable site as they are heavily biased towards nvidia

I found them fair to be honest, i thought the way the article was presented was a complete mess and hard to follow though....Their testing methods well, not perfect but same for both sides i suppose.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

That's why I've put off any GPU upgrades since I'm sitting pretty with my 2x R9 290X, together with my aged i7 3960X, they can still handle a lot of games maxed out. I've read reviews that compare DX12 performance between NVidia and AMD cards, seems GCN is better suited for DX12. Despite that, and just so I can say I have a couple of Titans, I'd grabbed a pair of GTX Titan 6GB from a local forum Garage Section since the seller was selling them at a good price, even built an i7 4770K rig just for them. Gonna get a 34" 21:9 Ultra Wide monitor to use with the CF'ed 290X and SLi'd Titan rigs.

Will wait for actual game benchmarks of Polaris and Zen before I'd entertain any thought of upgrade. I now have two CFX systems (another with 2x HD7950) as well as two SLi rigs (including a 2x GTX670 rig). With my present rigs, I guess I can afford to wait for the dust to settle on Pascal and Polaris before I'd jump on either.....I'm hoping Zen would be able to match or surpass Skylake in terms of raw performance.....not interested in clockspeed nonsense.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 4/3/2016 at 10:24 PM, jkeasley said:

One thing that I don't like about this, is the fact that they say that the 290X was rebranded to the 390X. A new card is never a rebrand and people should learn that. If nvidia made new cards (like the 970, 980 etc) and the 390X beats some of them, then how is it a rebrand? This is clearly not a reputable site as they are heavily biased towards nvidia

7950>7950boost is a rebrand

7950boost>280 is a rebrand

8800gt>9800gt is a rebrand

9800gtx+>gts250 is a rebrand

290>390 is a rebrand

290x>390x is a rebrand

There are a ton more but those are what I can list off the top of my head. 

On 4/3/2016 at 1:24 AM, jkeasley said:

The performance is irrelevant. Either a card is a rebrand or it's a brand new card. Whether or not that makes a difference to the consumer is something else entirely -- but that doesn't change the fact that AMDs current lineup (Fury excluded) is basically all rebranded. 

6 hours ago, kurahk7 said:

290>390 is a rebrand

290x>390x is a rebrand

7770 > 250x

7790 > 260x

7850 > 265

7870 ghz > 270

680 > 770 

285 > 380

260 > 360

265 > 370

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 4/2/2016 at 5:44 PM, Prysin said:

if you haven't noticed that trend before now, then seriously, what have you been doing for the past 4 years worth of reviews?

I have noticed that before, my 6950 is more than 5 years old and it is still keeping up suprisingly well, it still runs the latest titles at 1080p and usually 60fps or close to that, i do have to turn down the details to medium-low usually but if you look at it's age that's no suprise.

And i was planning to get polaris anyway :P 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, kurahk7 said:

290>390 is a rebrand with an extra 4GB, higher clocks and lower temps

29 0x>390x is a rebrand with an extra 4GB, higher clocks and lower temps

Fixed... ;)

On 03/04/2016 at 7:19 AM, Shahnewaz said:

Can we get enough people to ask @LinusTech or @Slick to test the HD7970 and the GTX680 using launch drivers and then the latest drivers? Please?

all you gonna get is a half-arsed test anyway.

LMG is no longer producing factually relevant content. They are "click-whoring". They'd make a video just to get likes and subscribes. The content of the video would be whatever.

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

all you gonna get is a half-arsed test anyway.

LMG is no longer producing factually relevant content. They are "click-whoring". They'd make a video just to get likes and subscribes. The content of the video would be whatever.

Wow, a lot of people really are up set with the quality of there recent content. I don't think they "click whoring" intentionally. I think they are just making more "fun" content for the average Joe to enjoy and follow along. I personally love when they get technical charts and the facts of a product, which sadly they haven't been doing lately (besides Lukes video of the wireless mouse which was awesome). However their content is more applicable to the general user, which in return does gain them a larger audience. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

28 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Wow, a lot of people really are up set with the quality of there recent content. I don't think they "click whoring" intentionally. I think they are just making more "fun" content for the average Joe to enjoy and follow along. I personally love when they get technical charts and the facts of a product, which sadly they haven't been doing lately (besides Lukes video of the wireless mouse which was awesome). However their content is more applicable to the general user, which in return does gain them a larger audience. 

their fanbase was based upon enthusiasts and PC builders. Now its based on your average teen.

On 3/31/2016 at 5:30 PM, xAcid9 said:

I want to see the battle between first 28nm flagship, the 7970 vs 680 with their release driver vs current one.  D:

7970, just look at 280x and you've got the scores and for 680s, gotta do some research :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

18 hours ago, GamerDude said:

That's why I've put off any GPU upgrades since I'm sitting pretty with my 2x R9 290X, together with my aged i7 3960X, they can still handle a lot of games maxed out. I've read reviews that compare DX12 performance between NVidia and AMD cards, seems GCN is better suited for DX12. Despite that, and just so I can say I have a couple of Titans, I'd grabbed a pair of GTX Titan 6GB from a local forum Garage Section since the seller was selling them at a good price, even built an i7 4770K rig just for them. Gonna get a 34" 21:9 Ultra Wide monitor to use with the CF'ed 290X and SLi'd Titan rigs.

Will wait for actual game benchmarks of Polaris and Zen before I'd entertain any thought of upgrade. I now have two CFX systems (another with 2x HD7950) as well as two SLi rigs (including a 2x GTX670 rig). With my present rigs, I guess I can afford to wait for the dust to settle on Pascal and Polaris before I'd jump on either.....I'm hoping Zen would be able to match or surpass Skylake in terms of raw performance.....not interested in clockspeed nonsense.

Well you have the perfect cards to do benchies to see whether Nvidia cards have aged better or AMD cards have aged better :D, you have 7950s which were the direct competitor for the 670s and you have 290Xs which were basically made to kill the titans...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)