Could somebody confirm something for me?

I need to know if F@H will run on Windows Server 2008 or 2012.

Thanks.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

I need to know if F@H will run on Windows Server 2008 or 2012.

Thanks.

Since it runs on vista and 7, I assume it also runs on 2008 and 2012.

3 hours ago, SkyFall said:

Since it runs on vista and 7, I assume it also runs on 2008 and 2012.

I am assuming this as well but I am hoping that somebody can confirm because I will be investing some major money into a build that using Windows Server would better serve me but if it cannot support F@H then that will mean I have to make some changes to the build plan.

Thanks though. :)

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

35 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I am assuming this as well but I am hoping that somebody can confirm because I will be investing some major money into a build that using Windows Server would better serve me but if it cannot support F@H then that will mean I have to make some changes to the build plan.

Thanks though. :)

Can't you just use Windows 10? If you are just going to have a dedicated machine for crunching (that you won't be staying in front of the screen much), Win 10 is pretty much free. It has a few downsides if you'd use it as a daily driver, but otherwise it's 100% free and legit, without any loss of performance whatsoever.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Can't you just use Windows 10? If you are just going to have a dedicated machine for crunching (that you won't be staying in front of the screen much), Win 10 is pretty much free. It has a few downsides if you'd use it as a daily driver, but otherwise it's 100% free and legit, without any loss of performance whatsoever.

If you want windows for free, get a ISO from windows 7!

(My registration period on one device is overdue for about 2 years...)

Just now, SkyFall said:

1. Performance on 8.1 / 10 is usually better than 7.
  2. Where the hell can you LEGITIMATELY get microsoft to handle you a Windows 7 ISO for instalation that doesn't require a key?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:
  1. Performance on 8.1 / 10 is usually better than 7.
  2. Where the hell can you LEGITIMATELY get microsoft to handle you a Windows 7 ISO for instalation that doesn't require a key?

1. but not by much

2. if you already have a DVD, you can use it. Otherwise, various online-magazines and downloadpages host ISOs.

Windows 7 does run without a proper key, after 180days, your background gets removed (to black) and there's a message every once in a while.
Windows 8/8.1 will shutdown after about an hour, when the period of 180days is over.

1 minute ago, SkyFall said:

if you already have a DVD, you can use it.

Valid point.

1 minute ago, SkyFall said:

Otherwise, various online-magazines and downloadpages host ISOs.

Not legit, though.

you can still get OEM 7 Pro keys from Kinguin (or you could get a 10 key) for like $23, they have other 7 keys too. Plus the key more than likely can be upgraded to Win 10 for free

http://www.kinguin.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/

Once you have the key it's technically legal to download an ISO from anywhere since you own a license

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

9 hours ago, Imakuni said:

9 hours ago, SkyFall said:

8 hours ago, HrutkayMods said:

you can still get OEM 7 Pro keys from Kinguin (or you could get a 10 key) for like $23, they have other 7 keys too. Plus the key more than likely can be upgraded to Win 10 for free

http://www.kinguin.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/

Once you have the key it's technically legal to download an ISO from anywhere since you own a license

Thanks but the build is based off of an ASUS ESC rack server. As far as I was able to determine it doesn't support Windows 7 or 10 OS's. But I am sure I can figure out how to get it to work any how. 

My current daily driver is in my signature and is also currently my full time Folding rig when I am not on it.

The rig I am working on with this server will be pulling double duty; Folding and Family server.

Honestly I just wanted to know if anyone is aware or knows for certain that F@H will work on the Windows Server 2012 OS without much issue. I assume it will work but I don't want to accept the server chassis if it wont work. So this is why I am asking.

I do have other options but this is the setup I am hoping will work because then I will be able to fold on 8 GPU's in the same machine. I have been working on this for about 6 months now and the only thing holding me back at the moment is the OS compatibility and some of the funds needed for the GPU's.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I have been working on this for about 6 months now and the only thing holding me back at the moment is the OS compatibility and some of the funds needed for the GPU's.

May I suggest waiting a bit (or not buying all of the GPUs) so you can get the newer Polaris / Pascal cards? On an 8 GPU rig, I'd expect the superior power efficiency of the 16nm chips make a HUGE difference on the heat and power draw issues you'll face.

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

May I suggest waiting a bit (or not buying all of the GPUs) so you can get the newer Polaris / Pascal cards? On an 8 GPU rig, I'd expect the superior power efficiency of the 16nm chips make a HUGE difference on the heat and power draw issues you'll face.

That is the plan, first step is to get the server unit I have been waiting to come out.And now it has <see below>.

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/ESC8000_G3/

ESC8000 G3

My original plan was to use this <see below> until I saw that ASUS was coming out with an 8GPU version and I fell in love.

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/ESC4000_G2/

ESC4000 G2

I saw what Linus did with that $4,000 server he bought and thought to myself "that was my idea" Lol.... great minds and the like I guess...

This project is going to take some time to put together (and it has already). I have considered doing one with 980/980ti and then doing a second when pascal is available.

I have mentioned this project before here;

The thing is I scrapped that whole thing and decided to do what I am working on now. This setup is a whole lot better and makes a lot more sense. :) 

Just need to iron out the details such as my question. ;) 

*edit 

Maybe I should link Linus and Luke this post and see what they think of my project.... it would be interesting to see their thoughts.

The only problem is I have no idea when I will get this project completed though. *shrugs* funding this sucks... but it will be worth it in the end :) 

@LinusTech

@Slick

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

All servers (like this one anyway) are PCs, with the right boot drivers for the drive controllers during the Windows install, it should work with 7, 8, or 10. It's no different than installing RAID drivers like I had to to install 7 on my desktop. Once the drivers are installed your drives will show up and you should be able to install. It'd be a cheaper more reliable solution since you're using it for personal use. Because even though you can customize server 2008 and 2012 to work like any other current consumer Windows OS, server OSes won't allow you to install certian programs. I installed server 2003 in my XP Laptop (and made it look and work like XP) about 10 years ago and I couldn't install my antivirus because it didn't support server platforms. Some software just will not run on a server OS. But still you should be able to fold on it with either OS type, but can you game on it? Possibly for some games but there's never a guarantee it'll work like it works on a consumer Windows, plus I don't know how well stuff like DirectX works on Server platforms. It might be harder to install a consumer version of Windows but in the end you'll have a better experience.

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

16 hours ago, HrutkayMods said:

All servers (like this one anyway) are PCs, with the right boot drivers for the drive controllers during the Windows install, it should work with 7, 8, or 10. It's no different than installing RAID drivers like I had to to install 7 on my desktop. Once the drivers are installed your drives will show up and you should be able to install. It'd be a cheaper more reliable solution since you're using it for personal use. Because even though you can customize server 2008 and 2012 to work like any other current consumer Windows OS, server OSes won't allow you to install certian programs. I installed server 2003 in my XP Laptop (and made it look and work like XP) about 10 years ago and I couldn't install my antivirus because it didn't support server platforms. Some software just will not run on a server OS. But still you should be able to fold on it with either OS type, but can you game on it? Possibly for some games but there's never a guarantee it'll work like it works on a consumer Windows, plus I don't know how well stuff like DirectX works on Server platforms. It might be harder to install a consumer version of Windows but in the end you'll have a better experience.

Good info. No gaming will be done on this system; only server functions, folding and possibly hosting a mail server.

2 hours ago, drewdsterling said:

I am assuming it works based on this post.......... https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=27350&p=273730&hilit=windows+2012#p273730

Maybe post the question there to see before you buy that setup.

This link you provided is not relevant. I am not going to be installing or using K40 Teslas to fold. F@H does not support Tesla's anyhow to my knowledge.

I will be utilizing GTX 980 or 980 ti's and then a future build utilizing the pascal gpu.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Good info. No gaming will be done on this system; only server functions, folding and possibly hosting a mail server.

Then you should be all set for 2008 or 2012 or even 2016, they all should be able to serve you well

1 hour ago, HrutkayMods said:

Then you should be all set for 2008 or 2012 or even 2016, they all should be able to serve you well

Thanks. ;)

This is what I needed. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER