What is strangest things you heard when shopping for computer components?

kenjigreat

When buying my new computer I overheard someone saying they are buying a X99 Motherboard because it'll last longer?

Any truth Price=Durability?

a friend of mine meant, that a triple monitor setup is a type of monitor, he thoght of it as an single one, but naah when you don´t buy like a 30 dollar mb a z170 or a x99 are pretty similar

the platform may last longer, I don't think it is meant as "it will last longer cause it costs more"

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

A 5820K will outlast a 6700K simply due to it's superior performance

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

one time I was at micro center and I heard this guy say to his friend "so we have a 6700k, Evga 980ti sc, and a cx 750" 

I sorta looked and shook my head 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

5 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

I think he meant that you don't need to upgrade because performance will still be good in the future

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

A 5820K will outlast a 6700K simply due to it's superior performance

If you are doing other stuff besides gaming I think it's worth it but for pure gaming is it really better?

2 minutes ago, FatPenguin said:

one time I was at micro center and I heard this guy say to his friend "so we have a 6700k, Evga 980ti sc, and a cx 750" 

I sorta looked and shook my head 

CX is a shit PSU series? I never used it before.

Just now, kenjigreat said:

CX is a shit PSU series? I never used it before.

It's a "budget" PSU meant for basic systems. Pairing it with parts like that is insane.

a guy told me that sending speaker audio over a phone line cable would make the audio come out garbled and really low quality.

the dude is an electronics engineer college student, deeply believes in the superiority of "perfect surface silver" audio cables being far superior than cables that can scientificly be tested to show they have lower resistance and less interference.

also, iOS has superior audio quality over android. let that sink in folks, an OS has superior audio quality.

Went to a computer store once and asked an employee if they sell thermal paste to which he scratched his head, looked up and murmured paste over and over. After a few seconds and a confused look on his face, he instructs me to go to the nearby book store where I could buy paste.

I once had an electronics store employee--and not the store you're thinking of--tell me that he could save me $100 by getting me a free OS. I asked how, and he proceeded to tell me exactly where to go and what to download to pirate Windows 10. Then he told me that he'd put that savings into protection plans for everything else. I walked away shaking my head at that point.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, kenjigreat said:

If you are doing other stuff besides gaming I think it's worth it but for pure gaming is it really better?

No one would buy a six-core i7 just for gaming

Just now, Nex Cube said:

It's a "budget" PSU meant for basic systems. Pairing it with parts like that is insane.

I'm actually really curious on this because not many videos are on PSUs and I rarely hear anyone talking about. What is the actual tanglible difference between a High-end and a budget. I got a http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Factor-Modular-SX600-G/dp/B00MO675S8 for my new build and I still have no clue. I went with it because it fit my case and I'm powering a 6700K.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I once had an electronics store employee--and not the store you're thinking of--tell me that he could save me $100 by getting me a free OS. I asked how, and he proceeded to tell me exactly where to go and what to download to pirate Windows 10. Then he told me that he'd put that savings into protection plans for everything else. I walked away shaking my head at that point.

LOL

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

thats like what an electricity provider told me:

"we're the cheapest provider in the country, we just ask a bit of extra money so in case power cost goes up, we can keep giving you the same price"

turns out... you pay roughly 30% more for this so called "cheapest" provider's constant price feature.

I once went to a tech shop, and my friend told me that the i7-6700k because 7+1=8, I ended up asking the employee and he strongly agreed until i told him to google it and show it to my friend. *heavy breathing*

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Is it legal to do that as an employee? How does he get away with it?

Helping my sister buy a notebook, and the sales dude at Best Buy comes around.

'Well the i3 is more for email and stuff, the i5 is for movies and stuff, but the i7 is for, like, really heavy gaming and stuff.'

'If you have more RAM it makes it a lot faster, this one only comes with 16GB but if you want to watch HD movies you might want to get a 32GB kit over in that isle.'

I was standing there trying not to knock myself out by facepalming too hard, and as soon as he left, I told my sister 'Take everything he just said and throw in the garbage.'

Just now, Zeinone said:

I once went to a tech shop, and my friend told me that the i7-6700k because 7+1=8, I ended up asking the employee and he strongly agreed until i told him to google it and show it to my friend. *heavy breathing*

I get where the 7 comes from but where does the 8 come from.