Help me fix this everlasting problem!

This all start when my father complained about his computer being too slow. I did a clean up, some scans and removed a few programs and optimize it so it ran better. I remember when he bought it that was packing about 2gb ram, but I only saw 1gb was available.

I then did a clean out (dust all the components) I did this once before it made the difference. This time I thought why not. Put it back together, (the 2gb that I knew was in there, reseated that) it worked immediately.

The next day came the problem. my dad complain that he couldn't get the computer off and he had to unplug the power cord just to get it off. When you plug in the cord, the fans and lights came on forever until you unplug it. I thought maybe I didn't reconnect something properly. After a while I was not getting any power, no lights no fans.

I did everything from removing one ram and rearranging the sticks, removed the cmos, making sure the cables were plugged all the way.

After long pressing the power button, I finally got some juice, but it would power on for a few second and turned off.

I then unplug the hard-drive to see if I would get a post.

Finally it worked. Later had to disable the floppy drive, because of the "A: drive error"

I was getting, after reconnecting the hard-drive.

Few days ago it started again. On a cold boot, it wouldn't power on unless I unplug the PSU cord and long press the power button to get some juice. Then it would turn on for only a few seconds and off again. I would do this until it turned on. I was lucky both times it didn't take me forever to boot up ( that was two days of being lazy I didn't felt like fully checking)

It happen again this morning. How I got it on was I jump start the PSU to see if it was working( the old paper clip to green and black wire trick)

Got it on.

Whats bugging me is that I dont know how to diagnose the problem and it will occur again tomorrow and I have nothing.

I first chalked it up to being a motherboard fault, but after seeing another problem occur; where when I used the usb port I saw the monitor dip twice, though it was going to sleep. Came back by manhandling the mouse :P  ... I was reading that, that could related to a PSU problem.

PS  The computer is 5 years old- pre built system

specs

2gb ram ddr2

ddr2 mobo

amd athlon 64

280w psu

Your help is needed because .......

Tlr; computer is shit, but I have to fix it

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

The power supply may be on its way out. You have a spare unit you can try?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The power supply may be on its way out. You have a spare unit you can try?

No there only one the island,(not kidding, called a few places)  that is 500 something watts, i cant remember exactly. for 225$ too much, you think?

power supply or motherboard i think,

trow it away, buy a cheap laptop it will be better then what he's got now :P

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

No there only one the island,(not kidding, called a few places)  that is 500 something watts, i cant remember exactly. for 225$ too much, you think?

if you need to buy that expansive power supply to make it running again... WAY to much

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate

power supply or motherboard i think,

trow it away, buy a cheap laptop it will be better then what he's got now :P

he has a laptop :mellow: well my mom uses it. I think he much prefers the desktop. :P

if you need to buy that expansive power supply to make it running again... WAY to much

that's what I said to the guy on the phone. I was at least expecting them to carry something smaller. lol

he has a laptop :mellow: well my mom uses it. I think he much prefers the desktop. :P

that's what I said to the guy on the phone. I was at least expecting them to carry something smaller. lol

well, if he likes desktops (me to btw) a cheap new desktop is still a better option then replacing the psu on something like that,

at least he can upgrade a new desktop easier then that little old thing if you ask me.

anyway, still think motherboard or psu, i'm thinking motherboard (or are the fans directly plugged into the psu?)

well, if he likes desktops (me to btw) a cheap new desktop is still a better option then replacing the psu on something like that,

at least he can upgrade a new desktop easier then that little old thing if you ask me.

anyway, still think motherboard or psu, i'm thinking motherboard (or are the fans directly plugged into the psu?)

lol.. there are two fans, both going to the mobo.

lol.. there are two fans, both going to the mobo.

then the only thing that's controlling power is your motherboard, , there for motherboard is the problem

then the only thing that's controlling power is your motherboard, , there for motherboard is the problem

ok. then if I change mobo. I would have to change cpu, ram and cooler.

I have a quote here with a

intel g540

msi h61 1155 mobo

4gb ram

cooler master cooler

all for $521.34 EC

hows that sound?

intel g540

msi h61 1155 mobo

4gb ram

cooler master cooler

all for $521.34 EC

hows that sound?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/megadarkwood/saved/1YVc

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/megadarkwood/saved/1YVp

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/megadarkwood/saved/1YVq

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/megadarkwood/saved/1YVD

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/megadarkwood/saved/1YVK

Check those out if you go for a new system

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

really wish those where options. Where I live it's out the question. thanks though

Sorry, might want to check out ebay if you can to get those parts.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

intel g540

msi h61 1155 mobo

4gb ram

cooler master cooler

all for $521.34 EC

hows that sound?

not bad, i figure it's not for something that recuires a lot of power, so this wil do just fine for some internetting.

have to say, if you're paying that much for those parts, go on a vacation and buy the parts while you are in a other country :P way to much for those :P

• 1 year later...

This should of been solved since November of that same year. 

The problem was the motherboard, not the PSU. 

We bought new components for it and works fine till this day.

MOBO

CPU 

RAM

HDD

old PSU still works fine.