Two subnets in the same ethernet cable?

NoKillNoLife

Hi, we have both iptv and internet from our isp and the iptv is on different subnet on dedicated ports on the modem(two tv and two LAN).

I want to be able to get both tv and internet through one cable in the wall up to our living room, and I was wondering if two unmanaged switches would do the job?

L.png

Would the above work?

On your average home networking switch, the answer would be no. Your average switch is simply a spliter it has no real level of capabilities. Some of the higher end switches which have multiple routing tables and ip management, it may be possible, but those are some serious hardware.

The above will "not" work but I might be able to engineering it to work if you gave me a more detailed network diagram (https://draw.io/ is a good tool) like how all the connections are linked like LAN and WAN and how many ports and other devices.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

3 hours ago, mcraftax said:

The above will "not" work but I might be able to engineering it to work if you gave me a more detailed network diagram (https://draw.io/ is a good tool) like how all the connections are linked like LAN and WAN and how many ports and other devices.

Im not entirely sure if I provided what you want, or if I used the correct terms in my post, but I hope this is useful.

I want to add one or two APs, both would be placed with my two TV decoders(one in 1st floor one in 2nd). so I need a way to combine both iptv and LAN in one cable, I dont want to and im not sure if I can pull two cables in each conduit, though I will try it first if the solution is complex/expensive) 

http://i.imgur.com/wPVvoqd.png

A piece of cake with VLANs, and is precisely what services like Telus Optik, Bell Fibe, SaskTel Max, etc. do architecturally. 

El-cheapo semi-managed Gig-E VLAN-capable switches are around.  I bought one a few years back for $25 on one of the NCIX (or MemEx) deals with mail-in rebate. 

If all the devices in one of the subnets are all on static IPs, then yes the design diagram in the OP will work. It would not work if you have DHCP running on both subnets, because there wouldn't be a way to control which subnet a client device gets an IP address for. If you do have DHCP on each subnet, then you would need switches capable to doing VLANs in order to run both over the single ethernet cable.

EDIT: And if you don't know for sure if DHCP is running on the TV network, assume it is.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

10 hours ago, Mark77 said:

A piece of cake with VLANs, and is precisely what services like Telus Optik, Bell Fibe, SaskTel Max, etc. do architecturally. 

El-cheapo semi-managed Gig-E VLAN-capable switches are around.  I bought one a few years back for $25 on one of the NCIX (or MemEx) deals with mail-in rebate. 

Do you have an example of a cheap(stable) switch that will work, and im guessing I need two switches? I'll go ahead and try pulling two cables now, I have 1000m cat5 lying around, worth a try if other alternatives will cost me 50$

You don't need VLANs if one of the networks is static IP, you can also change one to static if both are DHCP. Switches don't actually care about IP addresses and they have no understanding of them. Switches work on layer 2 of the OSI model and use MAC Addresses to move traffic around the network, Routers work on layer 3 of the OSI model and use IP Addresses to move traffic around the network.

Multiple devices with different IP ranges will sit happily on the same switch or network of switches as long as there is nothing that would conflict at layer 2, DHCP being one of them and basically the only layer 2 service anyone would normally have running at home.

VLANs are only required when separation of multiple layer 2 services is required or for security purposes. There are of course other benefits/reasons to use VLANs but none of them apply to small home networks.

52 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You don't need VLANs if one of the networks is static IP, you can also change one to static if both are DHCP. Switches don't actually care about IP addresses and they have no understanding of them. Switches work on layer 2 of the OSI model and use MAC Addresses to move traffic around the network, Routers work on layer 3 of the OSI model and use IP Addresses to move traffic around the network.

Multiple devices with different IP ranges will sit happily on the same switch or network of switches as long as there is nothing that would conflict at layer 2, DHCP being one of them and basically the only layer 2 service anyone would normally have running at home.

VLANs are only required when separation of multiple layer 2 services is required or for security purposes. There are of course other benefits/reasons to use VLANs but none of them apply to small home networks.

Both subnets are DHCP.

I got two cables through the conduit though, so im just gonna give up on this and do the same for the other one too , now I just need double "sockets" and its finished. I figured this was cheaper than buying managed switches since I already had what I needed to do it.

I recently worked for Bredbandsbolaget (daughter company of Telenor) so I got some insight in how the fiber networks in Sweden works.

OP I am 99% sure that will not work. The problem is that the TV and Internet ports are not just on separate networks, but also on separate VLANs.
If you want this to work then you will need two managed switches, and probably a long call to your ISP.

First you need to know which VLAN protocol they use (probably 802.1q but we need to be sure).
After that you need to get two managed switches which supports that protocol.
Then you need to configure the ports correctly. Here is what it should look like:

Spoiler

Network.png.c3d18726e66f9d1b1bdb109c2f7c

You NEED to know the exact VLAN numbers your ISP uses for both TV and Internet for this to work, because the ports on your switches has to match those numbers precisely. A trunk is a single connection which carriers multiple VLANs, which is what you want to use here. It might work with just a single managed switch (the one closest to your TV box and router), and then using a dummy switch connected to your fiber modem, but I wouldn't count on it. Hell, I wouldn't count on the setup described above working either. Especially IPTV seems really picky when it comes to how things are configured, and ISPs often do weird stuff internally (if you are on an open fiber network then your ISP might not even know which VLAN IDs that are used).

Here is a switch that might work, and you will need two of them. 350kr on DustinHome and Proshop. But like I said, you need to call your ISP about this.

If they're already tagged to different VLANs coming off of the "modem", then there's no reason why a 'dumb' network can't be used.  That's what Telus/Bell et al use in Canada.  Basically, if you want to "talk" to the IPTV network, you have to assert a different VLAN ID.  Otherwise, normal IP traffic merely flows over VLAN 0 (ie: what everything defaults to). 

But the OP hasn't told us whether there's an VLAN tagging, or if they are provided with a pair of interfaces with packets tagged as VLAN 0 (ie: not tagged at all).  But I know the fancy VLAN switch(s) would not be required for the typical "Canadian" implementations. 

1 hour ago, Mark77 said:

If they're already tagged to different VLANs coming off of the "modem", then there's no reason why a 'dumb' network can't be used.  That's what Telus/Bell et al use in Canada.  Basically, if you want to "talk" to the IPTV network, you have to assert a different VLAN ID.  Otherwise, normal IP traffic merely flows over VLAN 0 (ie: what everything defaults to). 

But the OP hasn't told us whether there's an VLAN tagging, or if they are provided with a pair of interfaces with packets tagged as VLAN 0 (ie: not tagged at all).  But I know the fancy VLAN switch(s) would not be required for the typical "Canadian" implementations. 

Yes they are tagged when they enter and leave the modem. The problem here is that the TV stream has to use the correct VLAN. Trust me, if the network is like it is in Sweden then it MUST have the correct tag. None of the default VLAN tags work (0 or 1). I was working with this crap for the Norwegian government owned ISP Telenor. It must have the correct tag once it leaves your home, and the only way to ensure that is to use a managed switch in your home or plug the box straight into the correct port on the modem (since the box itself can't tag traffic). The reason is that the TV traffic goes over a completely separate network (hence why OP's TV box gets a 10.x.x.x IP). The type of TV traffic that OP uses does not work over the regular network. It is simply not sent over it (everything is done using the internal addresses). 

The reason I know this is because OP said he needs to connect his TV box to specific ports on his modem. If he could connect his box to any port then he would not need to do any tagging, but that is not the case here (going by the info OP provided). 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Yes they are tagged when they enter and leave the modem. The problem here is that the TV stream has to use the correct VLAN. Trust me, if the network is like it is in Sweden then it MUST have the correct tag. None of the default VLAN tags work (0 or 1). I was working with this crap for the Norwegian government owned ISP Telenor. It must have the correct tag once it leaves your home, and the only way to ensure that is to use a managed switch in your home or plug the box straight into the correct port on the modem (since the box itself can't tag traffic). The reason is that the TV traffic goes over a completely separate network (hence why OP's TV box gets a 10.x.x.x IP). The type of TV traffic that OP uses does not work over the regular network. It is simply not sent over it (everything is done using the internal addresses). 

The reason I know this is because OP said he needs to connect his TV box to specific ports on his modem. If he could connect his box to any port then he would not need to do any tagging, but that is not the case here (going by the info OP provided). 

While it is the case that different services use different VLANs they are untagged to a specific port on the ISP provided router or ONT on the customer side. This is the most common method used in many countries as most set top boxes and the like cannot be set to use a VLAN ID, they can only use default VLAN.

If the router or ONT has ports labeled specifically for TV, VoIP, Internet etc then this is the type of setup used and the easiest for both an ISP and a customer to support.

Traffic entering a VLAN ID untagged port destined to enter the ISP network will get the assigned VLAN tag added, so on the ISP network the traffic will be tagged and on the customer network it will be untagged.

It is unlikely that an ISP would use any other method than this for consumer home setups due to 99% of non computer network devices being unable to set a VLAN ID on their network port. Basically it would be a pain in the ass for the ISP to get custom setup TV set top boxes that support their specific VLAN ID for the service, and if they ever need to change it then they are screwed.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

While it is the case that different services use different VLANs they are untagged to a specific port on the ISP provided router or ONT on the customer side. This is the most common method used in many countries as most set top boxes and the like cannot be set to use a VLAN ID, they can only use default VLAN.

If the router or ONT has ports labeled specifically for TV, VoIP, Internet etc then this is the type of setup used and the easiest for both an ISP and a customer to support.

Traffic entering a VLAN ID untagged port destined to enter the ISP network will get the assigned VLAN tag added, so on the ISP network the traffic will be tagged and on the customer network it will be untagged.

It is unlikely that an ISP would use any other method than this for consumer home setups due to 99% of non computer network devices being unable to set a VLAN ID on their network port. Basically it would be a pain in the ass for the ISP to get custom setup TV set top boxes that support their specific VLAN ID for the service, and if they ever need to change it then they are screwed.

An unmanaged switch will not have any way of knowing which traffic should go to which port on the fiber modem though. That's why you need to tag it yourself so that it goes to the right port. Traffic from the STB has to go to the specific port on the fiber modem, or else it won't work. The fiber modem does the tagging. Yes I know it sounds stupid but that is how it works in Sweden and most likely Norway. So all the traffic that goes to your house is tagged, and all traffic that leaves your house is also tagged. Again, it is the fiber modem that handles the tagging. That is why his STB won't work if he plugs it into what OP has labeled "modem LAN port". It will end up with the wrong tag. 

I can make a diagram for you if you don't understand, but I am on my phone right now. 

Bottom line is: OP has to either connect everything to the specific ports on his fiber converter, as in his TV box has its own cable going to the port labeled TV,  and router connected to the port labeled Internet, or he has to somehow tell the switch which traffic should go to which port (which you can do with tagging). There might be some other way of solving it, but he won't get away from getting a managed switch since a dumb switch will have no way of knowing that the traffic from the STB has to be directed to the IPTV port on the fiber modem. 

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

-snip-

This is actually my day job and I've installed many business ADSL and Fibre internet connections along with home connections also. I've also got direct contacts with network engineers that setup local ISP networks, backhual and international links. I also have formal certifications in networking so I know exactly how these things work.

Customer endpoint ports very rarely have VLAN tagging on them. A customer port for example would have VLAN ID say 2001 untagged to port 1 for Internet and VLAN ID 2002 untagged to port 2. Traffic exiting these ports has no VLAN taggging but traffic entering would get tagged with 2001 or 2002 respectively.

As for an unmanaged switch yes it would work, as long as each service uses different private IP addresses on the customer ports. Network devices can figure out where to send traffic using the correct default gateway and ARP tables. If there is conflicting use of IP ranges then yes you would have to use VLANs but that has nothing to do with the ISP's VLANs.

If you had to use VLAN tagging then you could use any port on the ISP device not a specific port, that's how VLANs work. Tag the traffic send it in on any port and it will get sorted out as per the config on the device.

You are correct though, all traffic going to the house and from the house is VLAN tagged but specifically the ports that a user plugs their equipment in to is not tagged. You can take tagged traffic and untag it to a specific port on a device.

Edit: I may be able to copy in a running config of a router configure as I've described but I'd have to check first, it is intellectual property of the ISP so they might get annoyed.

I have to agree with @leadeater here. Since the settop boxes can't/wouldn't be tagging thier traffic with a VLAN, the ports on the ONT would have to be set as untagged. Therefore you could use any VLAN IDs you want between the two switches, as long as they are consistent for TV and Internet on both sides, tagged on the trunk between the two, and untagged on all connected devices.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

This is actually my day job and I've installed many business ADSL and Fibre internet connections along with home connections also. I've also got direct contacts with network engineers that setup local ISP networks, backhual and international links. I also have formal certifications in networking so I know exactly how these things work.

Customer endpoint ports very rarely have VLAN tagging on them. A customer port for example would have VLAN ID say 2001 untagged to port 1 for Internet and VLAN ID 2002 untagged to port 2. Traffic exiting these ports has no VLAN taggging but traffic entering would get tagged with 2001 or 2002 respectively.

As for an unmanaged switch yes it would work, as long as each service uses different private IP addresses on the customer ports. Network devices can figure out where to send traffic using the correct default gateway and ARP tables. If there is conflicting use of IP ranges then yes you would have to use VLANs but that has nothing to do with the ISP's VLANs.

If you had to use VLAN tagging then you could use any port on the ISP device not a specific port, that's how VLANs work. Tag the traffic send it in on any port and it will get sorted out as per the config on the device.

You are correct though, all traffic going to the house and from the house is VLAN tagged but specifically the ports that a user plugs their equipment in to is not tagged. You can take tagged traffic and untag it to a specific port on a device.

Edit: I may be able to copy in a running config of a router configure as I've described but I'd have to check first, it is intellectual property of the ISP so they might get annoyed.

It does not matter that "customer endpoint ports very rarely have VLAN tagging on them" because that is how it works in some of Sweden's open fiber network (and most likely Norway's too judging by OP's description). The fiber modem will tag traffic. That is why OP MUST connect his STB to a specific port for it to work, because otherwise the traffic won't get tagged correctly. If it was like you described then OP would be able to plug his STB into whichever port on the fiber converted he wanted, but he can't.

If he plugs in his STB into the port meant for his router then his STB will get the wrong DHCP config, and he will not be able to watch TV. Why? Because the traffic to and from his STB will not be tagged as IPTV traffic.

You got this entire thing backwards (the bold part). VLANs are configured on a port-by-port basis. It is when you use VLAN that using the correct port becomes important. If his fiber modem did not tag the traffic then it would not matter which port he connected to.

Untagged fiber converter = doesn't matter which port he uses.

Tagged fiber converter = it matters which port he uses, because otherwise the wrong VLANs will be used.

And yes, the ports the users plugs equipment into ARE tagged in some cases, such as with OP. That is why it matters which port he plugs the equipment into. Here is the documentation from Tele2 (ISP) regarding customers in the open fiber network owned by iTUX:

Tagged or untagged fiber converter?

Tagged fiber converter:

On the tagged converters you have to connect your services according to the instructions. If you connect your devices in any other way it will not work. There is a label under each port which tells you which services you should connect to that port. For example LAN 1 is marked as "broadband" and LAN 2 is marked as "IPTV", and so on.

Untagged fiber converter:

On the untagged converters you have more freedom to choose which ports you connect your services to. There are no dedicated ports for services. You can for example connect your Internet to port LAN 1 or LAN 2 and it will work regardless.

If you scroll down a bit you will see an example of a tagged fiber converter (the RayCore RC-OE5A-B1M2-BNNB), which has clearly labeled ports for Broadband, TV and telephone. Scroll down a bit more and you will see a fiber converter which does not use tagging (the RayCore RC-OE4A-B1M2-BNNV). It does not have any markings on the ports and as you can see, it says "otaggad" (untagged in English).

24 minutes ago, brwainer said:

I have to agree with @leadeater here. Since the settop boxes can't/wouldn't be tagging thier traffic with a VLAN, the ports on the ONT would have to be set as untagged. Therefore you could use any VLAN IDs you want between the two switches, as long as they are consistent for TV and Internet on both sides, tagged on the trunk between the two, and untagged on all connected devices.

The STB does not tag the traffic. The fiber converter tags it. That's why the OP must connect the box to the correct port. The customer equipment do not tag the traffic, the fiber converter does.

What you two are saying makes no sense, because if the fiber converter did not tag the traffic then the OP could connect his TV box to any port on the fiber converter and it would work, but clearly there are specific ports he has to use in order to get his Internet and TV service to work... Because the fiber converter is configured so that specific ports uses specific VLAN tags. So for example LAN 1 and LAN 2 might be VLAN 1001 (regular traffic) and LAN 3 and LAN 4 might be VLAN 2002 (IPTV traffic).

That's how it works...

So just to clarify again why you two are wrong. If the fiber converter did not tag the traffic (like you say) then his IPTV service would work regardless of which port he used on his fiber converter. That is not the case and that is why you two are wrong.

@NoKillNoLife am I correct when I say that you HAVE to plug your TV box into a specific port on your modem? If you for example swap place with your TV box and your router then neither of them works, correct? If your answer to this question is yes then I am right and the other two arguing against me are wrong.

I will gladly explain to them how VLAN tagging works if leadeater and brwainer still don't understand why this is the case. I frankly don't give a damn about which certs you claim to have because I got my own certs and have worked for Telenor (which might be the ISP OP has) and what I am describing is how it works in some of the open fiber networks they operate in, in Sweden. There are networks here in Sweden which uses fiber converters that do not have dedicated ports as well (I am in one of them), but that is not what OP has judging by his description.

When ports on the fiber converter are dedicated to specific services, then those ports got specific VLANs tied to them (and tag all traffic going in/out from them).

Edit:

Here are some examples of the fiber converters that are used in Sweden's open fiber networks:

HES-3109SSFP (as you can see on the specifications, it supports 802.1q)

Inteno XG6746 (again, supports 802.1q in order to "provide virtual channels to separate various types of services)

RayCore OE5ATR ("option of 802.1q Fixed VLANs per port")

Do you understand now? The modem OP has tags the traffic leaving his house. That's why he must use the correct port in order for his services to work. the VLANs are fixed on a port-by-port basis.

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You got this entire thing backwards (the bold part). VLANs are configured on a port-by-port basis. It is when you use VLAN that using the correct port becomes important.

If you scroll down a bit you will see an example of a tagged fiber converter (the RayCore RC-OE5A-B1M2-BNNB), which has clearly labeled ports for Broadband, TV and telephone. Scroll down a bit more and you will see a fiber converter which does not use tagging (the RayCore RC-OE4A-B1M2-BNNV). It does not have any markings on the ports and as you can see, it says "otaggad" (untagged in English).

Having two different configurations must be rather annoying for ISP's to have to deal with, support wise. Is either one the current standard and the other getting phased out?

The Untagged converter is what I meant by if you yourself had to tag your traffic yourself then you could use any port on the ISP device as shown. The Tagged converter is the type of setup used almost everywhere else and each port labeled for each service is set to an untagged specific VLAN that matches the service, which is why the port matters. If you used wireshark to do a sniff of traffic coming out of those ports no Ethernet frame would have a VLAN header set, those ports are still specifically tied to the VLAN for that service (Internet/TV) but no VLAN configuration is required for any network equipment plugged in to those ports.

best solution is to uses VLANs on the switch

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Having two different configurations must be rather annoying for ISP's to have to deal with, support wise. Is either one the current standard and the other getting phased out?

That's one of the drawbacks of having what we call "open fiber networks" (sometimes called open-access networks). The actual network and infrastructure is not owned by an ISP. For example in my city there is a company called Fibra that owns all of the actual network equipment and cables (Fibra is a company owned by a few municipalities). My ISP (Bahnhof) has a contract with Fibra to allow them to use their network to deliver services to me. In the so called closed fiber networks we don't use any tagging like this, but in the open networks it is sometimes used. Like I said before, Fibra which I have do not use tagged fiber converters, but iTUX that I mentioned before does. I asked why some of the open-access networks uses tagged fiber converters but I never got any clear answer (again, because the ISP I worked for did not own the equipment). My guess is that it has something to do with multiple ISPs all using the same connections. For example I could get IPTV from one ISP, and my ordinary Internet connection can be from a completely different ISP if I want to.

And yes it is really annoying for ISPs. Each one of these network owners have their own rules

I think you misunderstood what I said. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The reason why I told the OP to tag the traffic himself is so that the switch will know which ports on the fiber converter the traffic should go through. If he just connects two dumb switches like in the diagram in the picture then the switch will have no way of knowing if the traffic from the STB should be sent through the "modem TV-port" or the "modem LAN-port". It can't use something like a default gateway to determine it since 1) it is a layer-2 switch and 2) not even the STB knows what default gateway it should use since it hasn't connected to the right DHCP server yet (the one that will give it a 10.X.X.X IP).

There might be some other way to direct the traffic from the STB to the "modem TV-port" and the traffic from the router to the "modem LAN-port", but using VLANs will be the easiest way to deal with it.

Also, customers do not have to worry about VLANs generally. It is only a problem for OP because he does not want to plug everything in according to the instructions (TV box straight to the port labeled TV, and router straight to the port labeled broadband).

59 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So just to clarify again why you two are wrong. If the fiber converter did not tag the traffic (like you say) then his IPTV service would work regardless of which port he used on his fiber converter. That is not the case and that is why you two are wrong.

@NoKillNoLife am I correct when I say that you HAVE to plug your TV box into a specific port on your modem? If you for example swap place with your TV box and your router then neither of them works, correct? If your answer to this question is yes then I am right and the other two arguing against me are wrong.

I will gladly explain to them how VLAN tagging works if leadeater and brwainer still don't understand why this is the case. I frankly don't give a damn about which certs you claim to have because I got my own certs and have worked for Telenor (which might be the ISP OP has) and what I am describing is how it works in some of the open fiber networks they operate in, in Sweden. There are networks here in Sweden which uses fiber converters that do not have dedicated ports as well (I am in one of them), but that is not what OP has judging by his description.

When ports on the fiber converter are dedicated to specific services, then those ports got specific VLANs tied to them (and tag all traffic going in/out from them).

@LAwLz You are misunderstanding which part of the connection and traffic flow I'm talking about. I already said traffic leaving and entering the house is VLAN tagged, it has to be. We are actually saying them same thing but referring to different parts hence the confusion.

This is similar to what a port configuration would look like that the home user would be plugging in to, the port is untagging any VLAN 10 traffic to this port. Devices plugged in to this port are on VLAN 10 but no VLAN tagging is required of the devices using this port. The port exiting the house towards the ISP network would be trunk mode and set to allow this VLAN. All traffic entering and exiting the house is VLAN tagged but that is not at all what I am talking about.

interface gigabitethernet1
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 10

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@LAwLz You are misunderstanding which part of the connection and traffic flow I'm talking about. I already said traffic leaving and entering the house is VLAN tagged, it has to be. We are actually saying them same thing but referring to different parts hence the confusion.

This is similar to what a port configuration would look like that the home user would be plugging in to, the port is untagging any VLAN 10 traffic to this port. Devices plugged in to this port are on VLAN 10 but no VLAN tagging is required of the devices using this port. The port exiting the house towards the ISP network would be trunk mode and set to allow this VLAN. All traffic entering and exiting the house is VLAN tagged but that is not at all what I am talking about.

Yeah I think there was some misunderstanding there. See this part where I explain why he would need to tag his traffic:

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think you misunderstood what I said. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The reason why I told the OP to tag the traffic himself is so that the switch will know which ports on the fiber converter the traffic should go through. If he just connects two dumb switches like in the diagram in the picture then the switch will have no way of knowing if the traffic from the STB should be sent through the "modem TV-port" or the "modem LAN-port". It can't use something like a default gateway to determine it since 1) it is a layer-2 switch and 2) not even the STB knows what default gateway it should use since it hasn't connected to the right DHCP server yet (the one that will give it a 10.X.X.X IP).

He would not need to configure any tagging if all he did was connect the STB straight to the port dedicated to the TV service, and the router straight to the port dedicated to his general Internet traffic. However, since he wants both services to go over the same wire he will need some way of splitting his IPTV and regular IP traffic up internally as well (so that he can then direct the IPTV traffic to the correct port, and the general IP traffic to the correct port).

That is why he would need to use VLANs in his house as well. But like I said in my first post I am not 100% sure even that would work.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

-snip-

Yep, if he is really lucky the STB can be statically assigned IP address and then VLANs wouldn't be required but this is highly unlikely. OP replied after I suggested this anyway and said both are DHCP, which I was assuming anyway. OP didn't want to buy a switch which is why I mentioned it.

Doesn't matter anyway the issue looks to be sorted now with long cables runs etc.

Also apologies for the not exactly well thought out and structured replies, they were sent at 3am-4am so clear thinking isn't exactly at my best during those sorts of times. Currently 6am so going to go fall sleep to some TV.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

@NoKillNoLife am I correct when I say that you HAVE to plug your TV box into a specific port on your modem? If you for example swap place with your TV box and your router then neither of them works, correct?

On the isp provided media converter+router combo(they call it home central/hjemmesentral), the answer would be no, but since I bought my own media converter and SFP module and use an asus router(they support iptv/voip) for everything, the answer is yes. the fiber networks in norway are isp owned so they probably differ in how they do stuff. Im on Altibox.

The isp provided setup was practical that way, but I got sick of having to restart it every week, with my own setup it is stable but I cannot get both tv and internet from the same port.

My issue is resolved but if you have any suggestions on how you can use dumb switches to "combine" the subnets, im sure a lot of my friends would like to know. If you need managed switches Its just not worth it as you can buy a wireless TV kit from the isp for less than the cost of managed switches.

4 minutes ago, NoKillNoLife said:

-snip-

Ohh I see. So when you were talking about the "modem TV port" and "modem LAN port" you were talking about ports on your router? I thought you were talking about ports on the thing labeled "media converter". Sadly it does not change much though. When you enable IPTV on your Asus router it just dedicated certain ports to a certain VLAN. The issue will still be that the switch does not know which port it should send the packets from your TV-box and which port the rest of the packets should go to. You would need a managed switch for that. I can't think of a way to make it work with dumb switches.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Also apologies for the not exactly well thought out and structured replies, they were sent at 3am-4am so clear thinking isn't exactly at my best during those sorts of times. Currently 6am so going to go fall sleep to some TV.

I'd also like to apologies. I completely missed that second link explaining the network in more detail, and I was not exactly clear in my posts.