Roku vs Apple TV vs Amazon TV vs Google Chromecast

Schmarvin

Streaming TV  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use/prefer?

So, for doubt that I will ever pull away from using my media PC to display content to my TV. I know that there are many good options out there. But then there are options like Apple TV which are over double the cost for a streaming product. Is it even worth it?

What are your opinions? I have the following subscriptions, since we don't watch cable TV in our house, I only pay for Comcast Business, and also could not get business TV.

- Hulu

- Netflix

- Amazon Prime

- Sling TV

Other than that, nothing else for TV.

What are your opinions and comments on this?

This Post is Reserved.

This will be where good, strong and valid points for the devices will be showcased.

I say the newest Roku solely because it's currently the only streaming device out right now that can stream 4K. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

A lot of people have the chromecast for their vote. Is it because it is the cheapest option?

In terms of content, the Roku generally appears to be the most cross-platform and have the most channels available. Last time I checked, the Apple TV doesn't naively support Amazon Prime or Instant Video, although support for certain channels could of course be subject to change across all devices. Most platforms tend to prioritize it's own content (Amazon Prime / Itunes / Google Play etc) whereas the Roku seems a pretty much platform agnostic. Arguably it's a bit less polished than a dedicated Apple or Google device (Apple TV or Nexus Player) and isn't quite as integrated in their respective ecosystems. But, it is the most likely play the channels you want and without pushing any particular service. I'm using the newest Roku 2, really happy with it.

Very good points. So, if I were to go with a piece, it looks like the Roku would be a good choice, as I don't want to just go with one service primarily. It does look like you can get additional apps for it as well.

Also, I thought the Roku 4 was the latest Roku device, with the ability to stream 4k.

Yep, the Roku 4 is the most recent device and the only one that is 4k compatible. I didn't say I was using the newest device, but the newest/updated Roku 2 (i.e. it has two incarnations). The number of the device does not specifically equate to the order of release i.e. current Roku 2 vs original Roku 3.

I use chromecast but I'd like to try Roku. I've used Amazon Tv, Apple Tv, and Chromecast and Chromecast is my personal favorite out of the three due to it's ease of use, simple interface, and the amount of apps for it. Apple TV has the best interface, but it's buggy at times and has the least amount of apps out of the three. Amazon TV is okay, but very similar to the Apple TV. 

i'll stick with the el cheapo android tv box, it can also stream 4k on some boxes, play android games, able to hook up controllers , ext hard drives, keyboards, etc. some even dual boot windows 10, throw kodi and the other streaming apps on it and its good to go

edit : it also runs arcade/console emulators

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

I was using Roku for a while, but wanted to access media through the home network and was having some issues, so I got a Pi and used a media center distro and it worked great. You can get unofficial plugins for Netflix/Amazon Prime but I haven't tried them. It's cheaper and you can tinker around and modify stuff if you're into that sort of thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a Roku 3.  Been great. There are some great channels for it plus the standards like Amazon, Hulu and Netflix among others.  Plus i have Plex and it works great for it.  The interface is fine even though it may be a little dated, but it's still functional.  Not only that, but the fact that I can plug some headphones into the remote and watch some telly at night while folks are sleeping is a big plus.  

On April 3, 2016 at 10:25 PM, papapoi said:

i'll stick with the el cheapo android tv box, it can also stream 4k on some boxes, play android games, able to hook up controllers , ext hard drives, keyboards, etc. some even dual boot windows 10, throw kodi and the other streaming apps on it and its good to go

edit : it also runs arcade/console emulators

which one do you have? I haven't heard of this option 

13 minutes ago, minimoose said:

which one do you have? I haven't heard of this option 

you can start here as the prices run from $30-$150

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=4k+tv+box&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A4k+tv+box

this is one that i have but bought via aliexpress for $60, the 2gb vs 1g makes a difference as well as the 16gb vs 8gb but i also have the lower end $30 version that works ok for what it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Arrival-Epteam-Android-5-1lollipop-Rk3368/dp/B0152X3IRG

and i also bought one of these just for kicks, it's ok but windows is limited and the screen was unresponsive after upgrade to win 10(forced) took a long time of searching to get it back to stock,

http://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Windows-Android-Updated-Version/dp/B00ZXBDZMQ/

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20