What standards do server power supplies use ?

Coaxialgamer

So i am looking at a power supply to go with an  Intel s2600gl board , but i am having a problem finding out what standardized connectors those power supplies use .

I want to buy HP 379124-001 power supply , but i can't figure out what connectors it uses . I see a lot of server power supplies use a metal connector that slots into the motherboard

apchowtoserverhardwaretourDSC_0001_238x1

But i can't figure out a few things . Is that connector standard ? Will it work with my board ?

That board doesn't have an ATX 24pin connector , so i can't use regular desktop power supply .

But the board has an 8 pin and two 4 pin connectors to power the cpus, where do those come from ? ( the power supply doesn't have cables )

Can somebody help me out here ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/s2600gzgl_tps_r2_4.pdf

Page 95.

Check the pinout of the power supply your buying and compare it to the server board. It does accept the same style (board edge power connection) but the pinout must match as well as the mechanical dimensions. It is highly recommended that you just get the cases with built in power supplies that match the board.

Without a datasheet for the power supply your going to have problems. Also those typically need a PSU cage to retain them in as well.

powerconnection.png

Just now, Roawoao said:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/s2600gzgl_tps_r2_4.pdf

Check the pinout of the power supply your buying and compare it to the server board. It does accept the same style (board edge power connection) but the pinout must match as well as the mechanical dimensions. It is highly recommended that you just get the cases with built in power supplies that match the board.

Without a datasheet for the power supply your going to have problems. Also those typically need a PSU cage to retain them in as well.

problem is , that board isn't linked to a specific server model ( can buy it oem ). Thing is , i can buy that board for 80$ right now , but i need to know first.

Other server gear ( except the psu ) is out of the question because of price reasons.

What i mean is that i would rather find a psu that works with the board instead of the other way around.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

problem is , that board isn't linked to a specific server model ( can buy it oem ). Thing is , i can buy that board for 80$ right now , but i need to know first.

Other server gear ( except the psu ) is out of the question because of price reasons.

What i mean is that i would rather find a psu that works with the board instead of the other way around.

all you need to do is to find the datasheet for the power supply then you can just match the pinout to see if it matches. It probably does but you have to make sure. Also while you should be able to plug the board directly into the power supply without a case/frame it can just fall out of the connection if your not careful.

Also , intel states

power supply options :460W AC Redundant PSU (Gold Efficiency), 750W AC Redundant PSU (Platinum Efficiency)

They don't specify a connector model or specific power supply

Also , intel states

They don't specify a connector model or specific power supply

Well I attached the physical pinout in my post. It is in their manual. If they have those options from intel and they say it is compatible then those power supplies will work. If the HP power supply your looking at plugs into the same board then it will also work. You just have to make sure the pinout matches otherwise bad things will happen.

Also , just a question. Do server psus have standardized components/sizes like ATX does , or is it all proprietary ?

Based on what I'm seeing it is all proprietary.

The power supply that intel lists.

212885_2245_draft.jpg

Vs. an HP one that might be the one your buying.

$_57.jpg

Notice how the smaller connections differ. This would make them incompatible.

You could probably hack something together and trick it into working with an incompatible power supply but it is more tricky than it sounds and if you screw up it would be bad.

Basically the fat connections are the power connection and as long as the voltage matches your fine. But then usually they have some communication and maybe even a sense connection on the smaller pins which seem to change from board to board as your image on the top is different than the one intel lists and is different than the HP one I found online.

Just now, Roawoao said:

thanks , i'll look into it. Will it work with that board ?

I also have another question : what about the 8 pin and 4 pin connectors on the board itself ? I assume the 4 pins are to power the cpus , but no power supply i've seen offers 4 pin connectors .

thanks , i'll look into it. Will it work with that board ?

Assuming it is this,

http://ark.intel.com/products/56254/Intel-Server-Board-S2600GL

If you look at compatible products you will find the cases they fit into,

http://ark.intel.com/products/56254/Intel-Server-Board-S2600GL#@compatibility

http://ark.intel.com/products/67788/Intel-Server-System-R2208GL4DS9 (2U)

Then you look at the case's parts,

http://ark.intel.com/products/67788/Intel-Server-System-R2208GL4DS9#@compatibility

http://ark.intel.com/products/60216/750W-Common-Redundant-Power-Supply-FXX750PCRPS-Platium-Efficiency

It looks like it might be a match but not 100% sure.

6 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I also have another question : what about the 8 pin and 4 pin connectors on the board itself ? I assume the 4 pins are to power the cpus , but no power supply i've seen offers 4 pin connectors .

Those are called the 12V power1 and 12V power2 (optional)

The 8 pin is called the HSBP power connector. It is meant to provide power for hotswap backplans 12V, ground connections.

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

so they aren't required to run the system ?

Given how it is worded no they are not required to run the system. Although you might be able to backfeed 12V into them and power the board like that (not sure what would happen) as the AC PSU is a giant 12V power supply basically. Not sure if the board would like that though.

Just now, Roawoao said:

Those are called the 12V power1 and 12V power2 (optional)

The 8 pin is called the HSBP power connector.

so they aren't required to run the system ?

Also from what I gather it is proprietary but there is an intel specific standard for these power supplies.

It mentions 2x25 card edge output which is the physical connection between the board and PSUs and then the pinout should all be the same amongst intel CRPS supplies.

"Intel Standard CRPS Form Factor" is the term you want to look for.

• 1 year later...

in case someone wants to know what is power supply, it is DPS-750XB (750W) i bought it and tested. I think that 460W version is DPS-460KB but not 100% sure.