Air cooling options for Fractal Define Nano S

aceken

So I bought the case and it comes with 1x 140mm in the front intake and a 1x 120mm fan at the back for exhaust.

The attached image is what I'm thinking as a config for the case, I'm either going with Noctua or Be Quiet! fans. I might add in an aftermarket air cooler for my CPU as well, right now im going with stock.

I'm a bit clueless with AF or SP fans, so which type of fans would be appropriate?

Edit: I have an ASUS H97i Plus as a mobo, if I'm potentially putting in 4 fans, would it be wise to get a fan splitter? or those fancy fan hubs

inside.jpg

With an H97 motherboard and no plans to overclock (based on your stock cooling), I doubt you'd be generating enough heat to need a fourth fan. ASUS fan control software is actually pretty nice, and I'd probably lean towards a $3 splitter over a $15-45 fan controller in that case.

AF fans are designed for maximum airflow. They're best used as case fans. SP fans are optimized for high static pressure, great for forcing large quantities of air through things like CPU heatsinks. You might also want to use a static pressure fan as an intake if it'll be pushing air directly into, say, a hard drive cage, but otherwise airflow fans are the most efficient at moving large quantities of air quietly.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

So I would probably have 3 AF fans since the case is pretty open (No drive cages)

Thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about getting this case too. I think if you bought another 140mm intake fan (so two 140s in front) airflow would be great. 

The only thing I don't like about this case if that there is no dust filter on the top...  and the "moduvent" in one long piece instead of two. So if you wanted a rear top exhaust fan, you'd have to remove the whole thing. Really don't understand why they did it that way...

The case itself is already sound proofed so quiet fans may not be necessary, but PMW high airflow fans would be good and controllable in ASUS's on bios software.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue