A few questions

I have been commissoned to build four new video editing computer for my highschool television service there is a three thousand dollar budget for each computer they must be optimized for video eiting on adobe premiere I have most of the builds worked out using i7-4770k and either an asus z87 tuf series or workstation board they hav a boot ssd and a raid 1 array 2tb drives for video storage the only question I have in my mind is to what graphics card to get.

Should I get nvidia quadro 4000's or a gtx 780 I'm not sure which would be better and the 780 is cheaper by alot what do you think?

A 7970 should be fine for that...

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Better to get a 8320 as it has physical cores which are better for editing. Quadros are made for editing and since its ONLY editing don't see why not, but 780 is a cheaper solution or as said above a 7970.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I have been commissoned to build four new video editing computer for my highschool television service there is a three thousand dollar budget for each computer they must be optimized for video eiting on adobe premiere I have most of the builds worked out using i7-4770k and either an asus z87 tuf series or workstation board they hav a boot ssd and a raid 1 array 2tb drives for video storage the only question I have in my mind is to what graphics card to get.

Should I get nvidia quadro 4000's or a gtx 780 I'm not sure which would be better and the 780 is cheaper by alot what do you think?

Your high school has a television service and $3,000 to blow on the computers used for it. That is awweeeesome. You being commissioned to build them is even more awesome.

I would just go with GTX 780's. I do not know much about video rendering, however. Although I feel like this: "It is a high school, though with this kind of budget they must use them a lot. Even then, I would still go with 780's."

Though feel free to value my opinion as not very useful and go with what someone else suggests.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I've always heard that cuda is generally better for video editing and rendering?

very true. But most programs have Open GL which AMD and NVIDIA both carry.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Premiere takes advantage of OpenCL

7970 is the way to go.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Would the quadro perform better than the 780 in the editing.

Yes, but not much. get a 7970

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Your high school has a television service and $3,000 to blow on the computers used for it. That is awweeeesome. You being commissioned to build them is even more awesome.

I would just go with GTX 780's. I do not know much about video rendering, however. Although I feel like this: "It is a high school, though with this kind of budget they must use them a lot. Even then, I would still go with 780's."

Though feel free to value my opinion as not very useful and go with what someone else suggests.

Yea the school I go to is a private boys school with very wealthy alumni

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Yes, but not much. get a 7970

Could you explain why it seems the 780 has better specs overall more cores and such higher clock speed what makes the quadro better?

Could you explain why it seems the 780 has better specs overall more cores and such higher clock speed what makes the quadro better?

Bandwidth and coding apon the interface. The 780 is made for quick calculations but not for rendering apon software. Quadro was developed for editiong and is used in many works ( for example Pixar uses Quadros to make many animated films we love!)

the kicker is that they got new computers 4 years ago and spent 5000 that time. However they put those beautiful computers into a tiny little rackmount cases which are causing then to fail "they overheat and haven't been cleaned" They just said these feel slow lets get new ones

And the reason I was commissioned is I have been working in the it department since freshman year maintaining projectors and building comps for administration.

they have older quadros in the old computers if they support sli would it be nworth it to put four of them in sli to be equivlent to one new graphics card. (The director of IT doesn't want to just throw away the old cards)

the kicker is that they got new computers 4 years ago and spent 5000 that time. However they put those beautiful computers into a tiny little rackmount cases which are causing then to fail "they overheat and haven't been cleaned" They just said these feel slow lets get new ones

And the reason I was commissioned is I have been working in the it department since freshman year maintaining projectors and building comps for administration.

You are sooo lucky. :D

They really should take care of their stuff better. ... It is irritating when the "haves" don't take care of what they have. Not directing that at you or anything, but... yeah. 

they have older quadros in the old computers if they support sli would it be nworth it to put four of them in sli to be equivlent to one new graphics card. (The director of IT doesn't want to just throw away the old cards)

If that is possible, go for it. However, a Quadro has 4 GPU's on it IIRC. SLIing those would be 8, 12, or 16. Not sure if possible. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Unfortunately there

You are sooo lucky. :D

They really should take care of their stuff better. ... It is irritating when the "haves" don't take care of what they have. Not directing that at you or anything, but... yeah. 

If that is possible, go for it. However, a Quadro has 4 GPU's on it IIRC. SLIing those would be 8, 12, or 16. Not sure if possible. 

is noting I can do about them they spend money like it is no object to them

This is a stark contrast to our computer lab where I get to keep some ibm p4 pc's alive they have a little red book where they put in maintenance issue like "microsoft word doesn't start" usually it is just that you have to be paitent because they are win 95 machines running xp now as well as a contingent of modern software they aren't even supposed to be able to run. Nowadays I have to compete with the schools hp rep on all the pc's I build generally I clinch the build by a couple of cents. However when they offer free next day 5 year in house support there is nothing I can do.

Unfortunately there

is noting I can do about them they spend money like it is no object to them

This is a stark contrast to our computer lab where I get to keep some ibm p4 pc's alive they have a little red book where they put in maintenance issue like "microsoft word doesn't start" usually it is just that you have to be paitent because they are win 95 machines running xp now as well as a contingent of modern software they aren't even supposed to be able to run. Nowadays I have to compete with the schools hp rep on all the pc's I build generally I clinch the build by a couple of cents. However when they offer free next day 5 year in house support there is nothing I can do.

I can understand that. 

My boss acts like the companie's money is his money. Guards it like it is his life force. Not that he will skimp out on things, he doesn't, but it is hard getting things approved when companies sell crap hardware with free support for years. 

† Christian Member †

So, 3K per system...

I'm guessing you guys aren't actually dishing out hardcore content. 

How about 1.5K per system and save some money for upgrades?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I can understand that. 

My boss acts like the companie's money is his money. Guards it like it is his life force. Not that he will skimp out on things, he doesn't, but it is hard getting things approved when companies sell crap hardware with free support for years. 

And then all of a sudden it is our job to support it without the warranty we'd be screwed over the last year we bought 15 of those computers wev'e had 5 dead hardrives 1 dead mobo and one dead psu. Now thanks to win 8 I also have to recut them and install all our software I've been asking my "boss" he isn't my boss because I'm not actually paid until the summers to make an image but he says it would be a waste of time.

So, 3K per system...

I'm guessing you guys aren't actually dishing out hardcore content. 

How about 1.5K per system and save some money for upgrades?

They are video editing and rendering 24-7 a lot of sports things that are submitted to a local news channel they do a pretty good job

I would go for something like an 8350 and a 7970 but be sure to also get a good cooler like a Hyper 212 Evo. Oh yeah and make sure the graphics card has a good cooler, not some single fan garbage (the gigabyte windforce card is great but apparently has a voltage lock)

They are video editing and rendering 24-7 a lot of sports things that are submitted to a local news channel they do a pretty good job

Alright then...

I still think a 7970 would be fine. 

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ECQH

Replace the h100i's stock fans with Hyperboreas. 

Replace case fans with Sickleflows--2 in front and 1 in rear.

Edit: Get a Hyper 212 Evo and a single Hyperborea if it's too expensive.

If you want a 'better looking case', I recommend a windowed 350D. Every other part can remain the same if you decide to get that instead.