Best Java IDE program?

Mkander99

I use Netbeans at school but I'm looking to use something at home, any suggestions?

For Java it's either Netbeans or Eclipse. Most people say Eclipse is much better. Personally, I agree.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

For Java it's either Netbeans or Eclipse. Most people say Eclipse is much better. Personally, I agree.

what are the differences? anything fundamental? 

The two big ones are IntelliJ and Eclipse. IntelliJ is considered the best one and it does have a community edition that is free that you can use. Personally I use Eclipse and the reason is the way it does incremental compilation, its faster for test driven development. But most of the people I work with use IntelliJ. Netbeans has never been a contender for top IDE, about the only thing its ever been good for is its Swing UI builder and the profiler it had build in but Eclipse and IntelliJ both have plugins that exceed that nowadays.

Given the option I would say learn IntelliJ, I might prefer eclipse for its speed but most people don't know the XML and such like they have been using it for a decade and hence the IDE helping them build valid things makes them faster.

11 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

The two big ones are IntelliJ and Eclipse. IntelliJ is considered the best one and it does have a community edition that is free that you can use. Personally I use Eclipse and the reason is the way it does incremental compilation, its faster for test driven development. But most of the people I work with use IntelliJ. Netbeans has never been a contender for top IDE, about the only thing its ever been good for is its Swing UI builder and the profiler it had build in but Eclipse and IntelliJ both have plugins that exceed that nowadays.

Given the option I would say learn IntelliJ, I might prefer eclipse for its speed but most people don't know the XML and such like they have been using it for a decade and hence the IDE helping them build valid things makes them faster.

19 minutes ago, Railgun said:

What would be best for a novice then? Eclipse or IntelliJ?

Personally I'd suggest just a text editor. This won't have any auto complete features which I feel help you learn the language and how to program, or at least that's how I felt about starting with eclipse and moving to sublime text and a terminal.

6 hours ago, prolemur said:

Personally I'd suggest just a text editor. This won't have any auto complete features which I feel help you learn the language and how to program, or at least that's how I felt about starting with eclipse and moving to sublime text and a terminal.

well said. I started out this way, had no idea about any IDE I used to open java files in notepad (not notepad++) notepad the same awful regular windows one. Every code had to be memorized it took me days to fully figure out how a Runescape server worked. Used to compile using .bat files and run the java class files from the commandline - so so awful, but I learned how to code.

Netbeans is not a bad option but IntelliJ is definitely the best imo. But it doesn't hurt to try them all and see what works best for you :)

Intellij if it runs properly on your machine; their OS X apps are plain awfull and Clion constantly crashes on Windows (1.2GB RAM usage at startup and then just hangs).

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

I've tried to use InelliJ, but I just can't make the switch from Netbeans.

Maybe it has something to do with the nice convenience "processrequest" method that Netbeans creates in servlets. I don't know.

As a student you can get a student account from Jetbrains that gives you the full IntelliJ, PyCharm, the works. Check it out and see for yourself!

IntelliJ all the way.

It took me a little while to transition to it from Eclipse, but now that I've done it, I don't think I could come back.

And from what I've seen at many high-profile Java Conferences, IntelliJ seems to be the crowd's favorite.

By far the best is going to be Eclipse. Its the most expandable with additional plug ins and extensions. 

Consume The Darkness

I use IntelliJ IDEA. Downside is (I think) that it's not open source like Eclipse or Netbeans but it has a nice dark theme prebuilt into it, proper text scaling on higher resolution screens (this is a must have feature for me), and on top of a nice and user friendly gui it has a tonne of features that are actually rather helpful when you're programming. Everything from automatically generating sections of your code to telling you that you don't actually need a parts of your code.