New router for home

rl249

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a new router but I'm not sure which one is best for me. 

My current router is one that my isp provided and it's not too good when it comes to customization and configuration. Even things like parental controls are just non existent on it. If I want a website blocked I need to email my isp with a reason why I want it blocked. Theres a small box on the wall with a coax cable from box to a splitter, then from the splitter a coax to my tv and router. 

I eventually will be putting a sonicwall soho in as a firewall, I'll use the parental controls in that once I get it but that wont be for a while.

So really all I want is a router with a coax input and a router that will allow me to configure it to my liking, parental controls would be nice too. Could someone please point me in the right direction.

13 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Ok so your ISP provided router is also the modem. Its a cable modem/router

Keep it and just attach another router or AP to it.

That way you don't have to get something that can take coax because that will really limit your options.

Hey man thanks for the reply,

I'm dreadful at networking unfortunately.

Lets say I connect the two routers together via an Ethernet cable, is everything then passed through to the second router and that's told to handle all the bandwidth usage?

Essentially what im asking is do i need to decommission the ISP router in a way? is it simply plug and play? also, would you have any recommendations on what router to get

14 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Its simple plug and play. You still need your old router for its modem function.

Most you would have to do is disable the wifi on the old router if it has that function, so that wifi devices connect to the new one instead.

How you would link them up is to connect one of the old router's LAN ports to the new one's WAN port.

And then any wired devices that want internet access, to connect to one of the new router's LAN port.

So the new router is now the gateway to the internet and you can set up controls there.

Most new routers let you block websites by hostnames. If you want to be absolutely sure, get a DD-WRT compatible router.

There are many available and what to look for depends on your budget, internet line and use case.

Great stuff,

Thanks for all the help man! :)