Tech Shopping Around the World - Switzerland

2 hours ago, Yesat said:

The major issue for keyboard in Switzerland is we use our own version of the German layout. On a small market, it's not really worth it to put something that the average user will not really care for.

Mediamarkt has a couple Logitech one (as its a Swiss company, it's good they offer a Swiss layout) and a Corsair one if I recall correctly. But yeah, most of the keyboard available in store or online for gaming are flashy gaming one.

Erhm, why do you have some extension enabled that translates my "keyboard" to "leopard" xD

Although I would love a mechanical leopard, don't get me wrong ...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

So in germany you found Mediamarkt to, also Saturn, they are bothe owened by one firm.

By IT things like customer hardware is available at most stores like tp-link switches or avm fritz router. There are firms like tech shops (online) where you can order your pc (parts) and they build it together for you. Custom gaming builders are available to.

Audio and Video as well as photo equipment I bought at my small local dealer, because some of these shops resell used hardware (photo). Moreover I get a good consultation about it and in the case of problems its easy to go there.

But Professional IT Hardware is a bit involved, because many dealers only want to sell B2B and not B2C. They say in there conditions you have to be a firm or independently, because of law "normal" customers gets a separate warranty from the dealer with a length of 2 years independent of the warranty of the producer (not for all products).

As an an example at refurbished hardware you get 1 year warranty most times, as business you only get 7 to 30 days give back if there is an error.

Good idea for this serie by the way.

This Mediamarkt is literally meters away from where I work. Too bad I didn't know when you were there, would have loved to meet you LTT Team ;) Next time maybe !

15 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Amazon: 

NCIX: 

At LMG we travel quite a bit, and we notice some very interesting trends around technology in different regions. Here is our recap of tech shopping in Switzerland.

try Taiwan next.

Spoiler

My computers as of 2017/03

My Old PC

Spoiler

Dell Vostro 260 $150 2010

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

*All Prices in the Canadian Dollar

My tweet? In one of your videos? Thank you! *sits down and dies in peace*

Great video and segment, btw.

Eiffel: The most useful programming language ever

Come to Australia and all we have are online shops and msy's (where i live at least). I won't start on the price let them discover for themselves.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

On 22.3.2016 at 6:44 PM, zENjA said:

So in germany you found Mediamarkt to, also Saturn, they are bothe owened by one firm.

By IT things like customer hardware is available at most stores like tp-link switches or avm fritz router. There are firms like tech shops (online) where you can order your pc (parts) and they build it together for you. Custom gaming builders are available to.

Audio and Video as well as photo equipment I bought at my small local dealer, because some of these shops resell used hardware (photo). Moreover I get a good consultation about it and in the case of problems its easy to go there.

But Professional IT Hardware is a bit involved, because many dealers only want to sell B2B and not B2C. They say in there conditions you have to be a firm or independently, because of law "normal" customers gets a separate warranty from the dealer with a length of 2 years independent of the warranty of the producer (not for all products).

As an an example at refurbished hardware you get 1 year warranty most times, as business you only get 7 to 30 days give back if there is an error.

Good idea for this serie by the way.

Mediamarkt-Saturn (wikipedia) can be found in several European and some Asian countries.

LTT chose a difficult market as Switzerland is not member of the European Union and therefore they add import taxes.

But overall I think you can find the same distribution of IT shops in most European countries nowadays. I can only report how it is in Germany though.

The small IT shops are mostly dead or don´t live from sales anymore but instead from the services they offer. They got killed by Amazon and other big retailers. They can get you anything, but they have to order most of the things first and they won´t be able to get you better prizes than Amazon, as Amazon sometimes has better prizes than the distribution.

For online computer parts there are several big sites, most of them have shops added to their shipping centre like Alternate, Caseking and Mindfactory where you can browse through up to date hardware, but it is useless if you don´t live nearby. Mindfactory for example is located in a remote coastal town, Alternate is located north of Frankfurt am Main, and Caseking has a shop directly in Berlin. All of them offer pre-build systems, at least one of them even offers custom builds with water-cooling. There are several other OEM manufacturers that offer pre-build systems. Some of them sell open-box or returned hardware labeled as B-stock.

There is a refurbished market in germany, too. I know one chain of stores that has refurbished Laptops from a german refurbisher in stock, they come with 12 month of warranty.

Even b2b customers get that 12 month warranty from them.

Otherwise the market for used parts is pretty dry because of the mandatory 12 month warranty in b2c. Best way to get older used parts is ebay.

• 1 month later...

Australia!! we have like soooo much tech stuff here, I mean we have umm ... Pax Aus Umm ... 

Yeah, so much tech! :(

• 2 years later...
On 3/22/2016 at 2:14 PM, aflyinghotpocket said:

That website looked sketchy as F%$#!

Its kind-of how I feel about PC Part Picker. I know the website is (relatively) safe, but both of these sites look like they would steal my credit card.  

You know, the good thing about this site is, that you don't buy over this site. You don't even have to sign up, you just go there search your item and choose the cheapest shop. It will then take you to the shop's website. So technically they don't have any special data of yours.