Upgrading to Windows 10 just opens Windows Update

Lauen

I reinstalled Windows 7 yesterday (as it was the only option I had in terms of what I had lying around on a USB drive), and after some updating issues (which got solved with a Microsoft FixIt thing that I can link if necessary), and then hours of updating, I got the GWX app again. As I actually quite enjoyed using Windows 10 on both my laptop and desktop, I hit upgrade. Then something close to a minute passed, and all that happened was: GWX closed, and Windows Update opened.

ed65bbc0ea.png

761639aede.jpg

737cf393d8.png

I've been googling almost all day trying to figure it out, but it seems like I'm the only one in the entire world with this issue. 

My laptop is an HP ProBook 4330S, 13.3" 1366x768, i3 2350M or something, 4 GB ram, Intel HD3000 gfx.. and I have my ASUS PA238Q connected via HDMI to have a proper screen while I wait for my desktop PC to arrive. I am running WIndows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Same ISO used for installing Windows 7 as last time I did it, and same used on my desktop PC as well, which also had no issues. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Looks like the option to just download an ISO straight off MS' site is gone, but the Media Creation Tool thing is currently downloading it for the upgrade through that. Hopefully this one works. 

I would look you in the eye and thank you but looking at endermen isn't a good idea for noobs like me. 

3 minutes ago, Lauen said:

Looks like the option to just download an ISO straight off MS' site is gone, but the Media Creation Tool thing is currently downloading it for the upgrade through that. Hopefully this one works. 

I would look you in the eye and thank you but looking at endermen isn't a good idea for noobs like me. 

you download the media creation tool here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

then you choose your USB and it will download windows to the USB for you

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 hours ago, Enderman said:

you download the media creation tool here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

then you choose your USB and it will download windows to the USB for you

Yeah I did that when I saw that I couldn't just download the ISO. All is well now, Windows 10 has been installed. Thank you!