Need help on a certain issue that happened to my PC overnight.

Alright well.. First off I will introduce my rig and then tell what just happened. I AM REALLY CONFUSED. :( This is a 24/7 overclock machine...

Intel i7 930 OC'd to 4.0ghz @ 1.28v - Very good cooling... Corsair H50, Idle temps @ 39c

Asus P6x58D-E

Corsair Dominator 12GB OC'd to 1500mhz (My mobo puts it at 1066mhz stock)

Nvidia Geforce GTS250 SLi

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Now... this is a 24/7 overclock computer... never had any problems once i found a stable overclock over TWO years ago.. Every other day I shut off my computer because I stay at another house for the night.. So it's never needed to keep it on. Never had any problems.. EXCEPT today.. When I turned it on.. the POST screens came on blahblah... but a screen came up and said "Overclock failed..press f1 to setup or f2 to return to stock.." So I pressed f2, it booted up but it was SO SLOW.. Finally when things were okay, I went into my computer and it said memory...8gb?? So I restarted and went into the bios to see my usable memory.. it was 8100..something mb. So, I took all my memory out.. I reseated it in different slots.. loaded it up and then finally it recognized 12gb. I'm still at the default settings and not my overclock settings so.. I tried them again and no dice.. What I decided to do was keep my CPU overclock settings so it keeps 4.0ghz but I reset all the ram settings back to stock at 1066mhz.. and it worked..booted.

Now, that being said my computer is working but the RAM is not being overclocked.. What happened and how can I solve this..? I really want to cry because I take very careful care of my computer. lol. THANKS! :)

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

Well it sounds like a memory problem, you might of damaged it if it was overclocked for to long or the settings not to the manufactures recomendations.

I would advise to be careful when taking out and swapping modules like you said as they usually come in matched pairs or a set of three depending on what channel memory it is.

One good thing is Corsair will be able to test and replace your memory if required. i have a kit of Domminator GT 2000mhz o/c memory and Corsair tested it and sent me it back a few years ago as when i bought it it was some of the fastest memory at the time of release.

Other suggestion if you like to run at 1500+ then maybe its worth getting a kit of memory that is ok to overclock, i dont know what the stock spec of your memory kit is?? if it wasn't labled to be overclocked then its not usually disigned to take much or any overclocking and you can void the manufactures warenty by doing so.

Another thing have you checked if windows has done an update? sometimes it will automatically and update a driver and can cause your computer to not work properly.

got to love Asus components

Well it sounds like a memory problem, you might of damaged it if it was overclocked for to long or the settings not to the manufactures recomendations.

I would advise to be careful when taking out and swapping modules like you said as they usually come in matched pairs or a set of three depending on what channel memory it is.

One good thing is Corsair will be able to test and replace your memory if required. i have a kit of Domminator GT 2000mhz o/c memory and Corsair tested it and sent me it back a few years ago as when i bought it it was some of the fastest memory at the time of release.

Other suggestion if you like to run at 1500+ then maybe its worth getting a kit of memory that is ok to overclock, i dont know what the stock spec of your memory kit is?? if it wasn't labled to be overclocked then its not usually disigned to take much or any overclocking and you can void the manufactures warenty by doing so.

Another thing have you checked if windows has done an update? sometimes it will automatically and update a driver and can cause your computer to not work properly.

Well. They are rated for 1600mhz @ 1.65v and I had them at around 1500 @ exactly 1.65v. I just dont get what could happen overnight for this to happen :( I have never had a problem yet. I do know that X58 boards are VERY finicky with RAM and when I built the system I just went with the most popular choice for the platform which was the Dominators.. and Nah.. No updates.. there is an update tonight however but not from the other night.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

So i assume Corsair say there rated for 1600mhz? like labled as that or on there website, it seems weird if there capable of running at 1600 and you are o/c them at 1500 but they default at 1066mhz.

i am not a total pro at overclocking but i think i am right in saying if you are increasing the speed they run at then you should also increase the voltage to match. i could be wrong but have a feeling this is the case.

Linus might have a video on overclocking settings with Ram.

It does sound very much like memory if its running ok at default settings.

If it dont say o/c on the lable of the product i would just run them at stock settings or get a faster kit.

When i got my Domminator GT kit i know it would last a few years as at the time my board didn't support them at full clock speed, now i can run them at 2000mhz if i like, and they were labled as o/c editions.

I would have your memory tested or get some faster modules.

Sorry I don't know how to solve your problem. However @asusfan I think he has a 1600mhz ram kit but the motherboard natively supports up to 1066mhz. So he had to "overclock" the ram to get close to the stock speed of the ram sticks

Sorry I don't know how to solve your problem. However @asusfan I think he has a 1600mhz ram kit but the motherboard natively supports up to 1066mhz. So he had to "overclock" the ram to get close to the stock speed of the ram sticks
Its okay.. :/ That is correct! Exactly what he said! haha

Anyone??? :/ Could anyone help me out here?

My kit is a 2000mhz o/c edition Domminator GT, with the red cooling fins, there good to run at 2000, when i bought them my board didn't support that speed so i know they would last me a long time when i upgrade a few years later and still have them now.

My kit is a 2000mhz o/c edition Domminator GT, with the red cooling fins, there good to run at 2000, when i bought them my board didn't support that speed so i know they would last me a long time when i upgrade a few years later and still have them now.

If you have the manual for your m/board it should tell you the recommended ram to use, and o/c ranges.

If the computer wont run them at the speed you want and keeps crashing you could have damaged ram modules.

it just seems strange as your computer will run them default lower than the stock spec ( however i don't think you said what the stock speeds are) one reason this could happen is you have settings in Bios to manual , or if in auto mode its putting them at a safe speed for a reason.

9 times out of 10 a computer should run ram at the stock speed if settings in Bios are set to auto for all the ram settings.

If you have intelligent software that comes with your motherboard there should be auto o/c settings function, I know with the new Asus board i run there is and it bench tests to see if its stable and then you choose to leave it at the level you want (eco, performace, extreme), so there could be something simular.

Manual everything o/c you have to be carefull.

If any problems repeat contact Corsair customer service.