Cloud Storage War in China

As a native Chinese, let me tell you what happend in the area of cloud storage in China and the details.This is called "Cloud Storage War in China"

First of all, you should know the top cloud storage companies in China: Baidu, Tencent, Sina, Kingsoft, Qihoo 360, Huawei,115

Before, China’s free storage services are mainly focused on storage capacity under 15GB. But in Aug 13, 2013, Kingsoft Cloud officially announced that the company has received $ 20 million investment.Supported by the financing, Kingsoft Kuaipan, a service under Kingsoft Cloud, offers a 100G free storage service to personal users.

Then Qihoo 360 said that they offer users 360 GB of permanent free space.

Then Baidu said: Pay 1 RMB, and you'll get 1TB permanent space.(6.1 RMB=1 USD)

Then Qihoo 360 said: we'll offer users extra 666 GB of free space (360GB+666GB=1026GB, more than 1TB)

Then Baidu said: we offer users 1TB free, and if pay 1 RMB, you'll get extra 1TB.

Then Tencent said: we offer users 10TB of free and permanent space.

Then Qihoo 360 said: we offer users unlimited space, free and permanent.

Then Baidu change its service to: we directly offer users 2TB for free, no need money, and claimed that it will give back that 1 RMB to users that payed before.

And Sina said: we offer users 100GB of free space, and will offer more latar. It also said: if you share one file to public, you will get the same size of free permanent space.(so called: unlimited)

And Huawe said: if you share one file to public, then you can delete this file, while the file is not actually deleted on server, you can also download it.( so called:unlimited)

And 115.com said: new signing up users can get 15GB, while old users can get extra 100GB, and all the uses can get 1TB every year, increasing to unlimited size. 

More information about those companies:

Baidu(NASDAQ:BIDU), the largest search engine in China.

Tencent(700.HK), its instant messaging product "QQ" has over 700 million active users and 160 million users online at the same time by 2012. Its mobile App "WeChat" is worldwide popular, having hundreds of millions of users.

Sina(NASDAQ:SINA), its product "weibo", same as Twitter, has over 500 millions of users.

Kingsoft(03888.HK), mainly worked on security software products

Qihoo 360(NYSE:QIHU), is a software company known for its antivirus software

Huawei, the largest Communications Equipment Company (instead Ericsson on 2012)

115.com, just an ordinary cloud storage company

Below is a link that Tencent Weiyun offer you 10TB (in English):

And the cloud storage site is (in English): http://www.weiyun.com/disk/index-en.html

Below is a link that Baidu Yun offer you 2TB (in Chinese):

And the cloud storage site is (in Chinese): http://pan.baidu.com

Others, you can open their offical site,

there are several posts which discussed this "war" in bits, but never as a summary like this. Thx for yr post! :D~~

Here's me thinking this was a new reality TV show.

Seems like they are being very competitive with there offers. I would be more worried about the upload and download speeds of these services and not the TB of free data you get. Dropbox was incredibly slow 150kb/s when uploading a file took forever to do anything besides a word or excel document.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

All those TBs :o

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Seems like they are being very competitive with there offers. I would be more worried about the upload and download speeds of these services and not the TB of free data you get. Dropbox was incredibly slow 150kb/s when uploading a file took forever to do anything besides a word or excel document.

Well, I used to use another Tencent product "Tencent Transit", through the 100Mbit/s network in my wordplace, down speed is 10MBytes/s, and up speed is 3 MBytes/s.As for Tencent Weiyun, I don't know.

And I use Baidu Cloud Storage through my house network, it can be 1.25MBytes/s down speed, and the up speed, here in China ,home broadband is limited to 0.5Mbit/s or 1Mbit/s by the ISP.

According the the test result of other users, the up speed of Baidu Yun cloud storage could be 1.85MByte/s or higher through high speed network. I don't know if the up speed of housr broadband network is limited by ISPs in your country.

ill just keep my stuff locally, i don't trust companies with my data and i never will.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I'll keep my files stored locally, thanks.

wow awesome thread !!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I still wouldn't really trust a company with my files. Maybe as a second backup and if it wasn't a headache to set up.

• 3 months later...

As a native Chinese, let me tell you what happend in the area of cloud storage in China and the details.This is called "Cloud Storage War in China"
[...]

tks for this article... the war seems only to be on the beginning

tfolder, yunio, weiyun, yupan, 115 are ok for me.

a new link: http://www.kuaipan.cn/2t

ok on android. first step is strange (a merge with a tencent account ???). i earnt 512 GB. a spyware to send SMS is on the app ? sic !

for baidu, my e-mail/password does not works on the android app

for kanbox, i actually earn 600 GB... i got 660 GB thanks to the app, other steps to earn 10TB was too strange

i can say hello to the 2 or 3 people who cut and paste the original text ;)

Edited by willemijns

This is the true "Storage Wars"

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Storage Wars - Chinese Version.....

Damn, 2TB , FREE!? Thats insane. A 2TB hard drive is almost $100 USD....

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Damn, 2TB , FREE!? Thats insane. A 2TB hard drive is almost $100 USD....

Only 4/5 filehosters was unlimited before, well-known was MEDIAFIRE which change his mind in 2011 or 2012

i'm sure some ppl upload their """holidays videos""" 24/7 ^^

99,95% will not use the TB now... moore law will change this in a decade of course ;)

whole idea is on http://www.powweb.com/legal/legal_unlimited.bml?type=details

Jeez so much free space..

YOu could never fill that much space by uploading, it is just a gimmick. maybe up to 200GB is nice but after that you just can't use it all, uploading all your stuff would take ages even on fiber connections.

And China is probably scanning all your stuff alswell (just like the NSA probs do with Dropbox and Skydrive).

For now Ill keep my stuff locally and just use the free space Dropbox and Skydrive offer. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

i use we chat  :D ... but holy mother of free cloudness i want some 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

snip

did u seriously resurrect a 3+ month old thread ??

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

did u seriously resurrect a 3+ month old thread ??

proof is no ? ^^

FYI the main text is the best information about this subject i have seen since 1 week on web searches.

proof is no ? ^^

FYI the main text is the best information about this subject i have seen since 1 week on web searches.

proof ?

the post above u is dated     "16 September 2013 - 10:33 PM"

Jeez so much free space..

YOu could never fill that much space by uploading, it is just a gimmick. maybe up to 200GB is nice but after that you just can't use it all, uploading all your stuff would take ages even on fiber connections.

And China is probably scanning all your stuff alswell (just like the NSA probs do with Dropbox and Skydrive).

For now Ill keep my stuff locally and just use the free space Dropbox and Skydrive offer. 

of course i do not let uncrypted important stuff on this kind of storage but it is a good alternative for low priorities things.

proof ?

the post above u is dated     "16 September 2013 - 10:33 PM"

some users before you answered on it these last hours no ?

if you are not agree to see old threads, ask to the admin here to autolock old threads. some forums do this. it is their choice.

ill just keep my stuff locally, i don't trust companies with my data and i never will.

At least these are Chinese companies, so should be more trustworthy than American counterparts by a factor of ten.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm just curious, do you go to youtube somehow, like with a tor browser, or do you just not use it?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place