NVIDIA Reference Video Card Painting Guide

Video Card Painting Guides with ads YT 4k

Nice one Linus.. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Video Card Painting Guides with ads YT 4k

Nice one Linus.. 

That's how we name our video exports :P

I just usually change the name before I make the forum post. 

Vessel uploads don't have ads, so that's why it specifies whether the export has ads :)

Just now, LinusTech said:

That's how we name our video exports :P

I just usually change the name before I make the forum post. 

Vessel uploads don't have ads, so that's why it specifies whether the export has ads :)

I know, I'm a Vessel member. I like supporting you guys as the content is usually very good. 

But remember to change the name before upload next time, but knowing your internet speed I'd assume even 4k videos would take ~5 mins to upload

idk

Hey @LinusTech What timezone are you in?

20 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/1MJA

NCIX: site was down when posting.. Will try to remember to put in..

Painting supplies: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Painting or cleaning out a video card isn't crazy. It's super awesome and I'll show you how!

My native language is C++

inb4 warranty rage because of not enough emphasis on sanding voiding warranty

Do not feed.

So was this filmed before or after it got ruined witht the nail polish? I'd like to know how it got fixed. 

30 minutes ago, Kyle Manning said:

Hey @LinusTech What timezone are you in?

Pacific

4 minutes ago, iPolymer said:

So was this filmed before or after it got ruined witht the nail polish? I'd like to know how it got fixed. 

Before.

I'm just glad he gave @nicklmg the night off from these middle of the night posts. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I see he posted this at midnight his time so it's not that late there.

-KuJoe

Sexy.

I hope you find a good way to fill in the lettering, I think it would look even nicer with the black lettering as well.

I take it you didn't want to show the black lettering failure, was that just for the WAN show viewers?

One of the cameras needs cleaning (if not already done). I see what is probably sensor dust unless the lenses are really dirty too.

As for video content itself, is it good to move the piece around by hand after you start painting? Would it affect finish with a risk of fingerprints or skin oils? I might just be over-thinking it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Great job, looks neat but the orange thing seems to be getting obsessive. Strange Linus doesn't tan :P

Looks good, I painted my sli'd 980s gold a couple of months ago. just wondering why you took the entire cooler off of the card, I just removed the front and side screws that let you remove the silver parts while leaving the fan and black parts attached to the actual GPU. Seems like it would save some time and reduce the risk of anything going wrong.

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

I think this video would be pretty much effective for painting anything plastic. Kind of has me wanting to customize some of my older consoles. 

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

Looks great, I agree about the orange peel effect going with the black.

It looks like you were sanding in your paint booth? Your paint booth is supposed to be a clean dust free zone.

I've painted a couple cars over the years and have sanded in the booth, but you pull the car out and need to spend the time and extensively clean the booth.

The DIY booths, when you are doing a large project like a car. Generally you clean the ground and replace the plastic when the prep is done. The main purpose of the sanding booth is to keep the garage clean. The main purpose of a paint both is to keep the paint job dust free, over spray in the garage is only secondary.

Good video, Linus Paint Tips.

Duh_Tech

I am a computer and aviation enthusiast. I have a good enough PC. 

On 3/20/2016 at 2:11 PM, Steve.604 said:

Looks great, I agree about the orange peel effect going with the black.

It looks like you were sanding in your paint booth? Your paint booth is supposed to be a clean dust free zone.

I've painted a couple cars over the years and have sanded in the booth, but you pull the car out and need to spend the time and extensively clean the booth.

The DIY booths, when you are doing a large project like a car. Generally you clean the ground and replace the plastic when the prep is done. The main purpose of the sanding booth is to keep the garage clean. The main purpose of a paint both is to keep the paint job dust free, over spray in the garage is only secondary.

My only hangup is that he went straight from sand to paint, without a final prep solvent wipe.  Or at least that's what the video told us

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

• 2 weeks later...

Got a ref cooler too and really feel like doing this too as it clashes the living Hell out of the rest of the colours in the case at the moment. But would only do it if I could find a spare cooler, I fear my only luck would be if anyone has a broken card laying around, though need one with the 980 Ti stamp on it. Those are likely to be RMA'd before being put on sale as broken for cheap...

Main rig: Intel i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz with Silverstone Argon AR06 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 x 8 GiB Corsair LPX Red @ 2.133 Mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, Corsair SF600, Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (no window version).

For on the road: MSI GE72 2QC Apache with 16 GiB RAM upgrade.

He used a wet sand so it would not be floating  around in the booth, so he could easily clean before the painting

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2016 at 10:10 AM, sync95 said:

Looks good, I painted my sli'd 980s gold a couple of months ago. just wondering why you took the entire cooler off of the card, I just removed the front and side screws that let you remove the silver parts while leaving the fan and black parts attached to the actual GPU. Seems like it would save some time and reduce the risk of anything going wrong.

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

I think your approach would be easier than taking off the whole PCB. So you removed the 4 screws around the cooler fan too right? I would be interested in trying this.