Just bought Insignia 4K Roku TV (20160

ne0rmatrix

Just bought the new 2016 Insignia 4K Roku TV from Bestbuy yesterday here in Canada.  Model #

NS-43DR710CA17

So far its great for playing World of Warcraft at high resolution. Had real panic when i turned it on and hooked it up and started World of Warcraft like a nube and saw screen tearing and started googling what the heck? Well it worked out google is not your friend when no one has posted or it is so obscure google has not found it. Or you used wrong search terms. First issue was i used wrong HDMI cable. Switched the 2 dollar dollar store brand for the one that came with my Xbox One and it still did not fix issue. So i went digging through setup in the TV menu and found out it defaulted to HDMI version 1.4 and you had to manually switch to auto or 2.x. Well you would think it should default to auto but no it is defaulted to lowest common denominator! WTF? Why would Insignia have a default setting for 30HZ on for 4K?

Anyways got that issue squared away and yes the youtube video's are breathtaking. Now i did not buy this TV for watching tv or watching movies. That would be a bad decision in my books. I bought it to play World of Warcraft in 4K. Yes i know about input lag etc. I don't really care. I can anticipate what will happen in a raid and do not PVP so the increase in resolution is all i care about and it looks real pretty.

Now for the bad news for those of you thinking about buying one of these new 4K Roku tv's. If you want to watch cable tv or any 1080p content i would stay away from these specific models. The picture at 1080p looks absolutely horrid when watching 1080p cable over HDMI. It is just incredibly sad to watch. If you are 15 or 20 feet away it is not so noticeable but at close up you can see all sorts of nasty stuff with colour and saturation and stuff like that. It might be a result of my configuration or the cheap 4K TV. But i think you should spend a few more dollars and get an LG or Samsung if you are looking for quality 1080p on a 4K TV. This is just my initial impressions and may change if i can figure out what is wrong. It may be fixed with a software update but again i do not know what the issue is. It just plays 1080p absolutely horridly! I do admit it looks real pretty sitting here typing on screen. Text and video at 4K is just fantastic. 

I briefly loaded youtube and netflix and twit.tv on Roku part of TV and it worked great. Menu speed was real fast and switching inputs is easy. Volume controls for tv are on side of remote and the tv is very responsive and snappy when switching tasks. Screen bezel is much thinner than my old LG 3D Smart TV. My old tv was 40" and the Insignia i bought is 43" I did not have the room for a bigger tv nor could i afford a few hundred extra dollars for the next model up. I am happy with it so far. It does exactly what i want and at a price that is within my budget. I do not care about cable or Bluray support. I bought it to game with and latency is an issue I am willing to put up with as i do not play FPS games. Yes it does hurt my response time in raids. I have learned to adapt and it is not really noticeable unless my excuse to Raid Leader is I have input lag when dying in Mythic Reaver! He laughed and said i know where to stand and stay behind the boss LOL.

Anyways hope someone finds my musing useful. 

11 minutes ago, ne0rmatrix said:

Just bought the new 2016 Insignia 4K Roku TV from Bestbuy yesterday here in Canada.  Model #

NS-43DR710CA17

So far its great for playing World of Warcraft at high resolution. Had real panic when i turned it on and hooked it up and started World of Warcraft like a nube and saw screen tearing and started googling what the heck? Well it worked out google is not your friend when no one has posted or it is so obscure google has not found it. Or you used wrong search terms. First issue was i used wrong HDMI cable. Switched the 2 dollar dollar store brand for the one that came with my Xbox One and it still did not fix issue. So i went digging through setup in the TV menu and found out it defaulted to HDMI version 1.4 and you had to manually switch to auto or 2.x. Well you would think it should default to auto but no it is defaulted to lowest common denominator! WTF? Why would Insignia have a default setting for 30HZ on for 4K?

Anyways got that issue squared away and yes the youtube video's are breathtaking. Now i did not buy this TV for watching tv or watching movies. That would be a bad decision in my books. I bought it to play World of Warcraft in 4K. Yes i know about input lag etc. I don't really care. I can anticipate what will happen in a raid and do not PVP so the increase in resolution is all i care about and it looks real pretty.

Now for the bad news for those of you thinking about buying one of these new 4K Roku tv's. If you want to watch cable tv or any 1080p content i would stay away from these specific models. The picture at 1080p looks absolutely horrid when watching 1080p cable over HDMI. It is just incredibly sad to watch. If you are 15 or 20 feet away it is not so noticeable but at close up you can see all sorts of nasty stuff with colour and saturation and stuff like that. It might be a result of my configuration or the cheap 4K TV. But i think you should spend a few more dollars and get an LG or Samsung if you are looking for quality 1080p on a 4K TV. This is just my initial impressions and may change if i can figure out what is wrong. It may be fixed with a software update but again i do not know what the issue is. It just plays 1080p absolutely horridly! I do admit it looks real pretty sitting here typing on screen. Text and video at 4K is just fantastic. 

I briefly loaded youtube and netflix and twit.tv on Roku part of TV and it worked great. Menu speed was real fast and switching inputs is easy. Volume controls for tv are on side of remote and the tv is very responsive and snappy when switching tasks. Screen bezel is much thinner than my old LG 3D Smart TV. My old tv was 40" and the Insignia i bought is 43" I did not have the room for a bigger tv nor could i afford a few hundred extra dollars for the next model up. I am happy with it so far. It does exactly what i want and at a price that is within my budget. I do not care about cable or Bluray support. I bought it to game with and latency is an issue I am willing to put up with as i do not play FPS games. Yes it does hurt my response time in raids. I have learned to adapt and it is not really noticeable unless my excuse to Raid Leader is I have input lag when dying in Mythic Reaver! He laughed and said i know where to stand and stay behind the boss LOL.

Anyways hope someone finds my musing useful. 

It's 4K at 30 hertz to support legacy hardware. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Yes but you would think they would put it on auto not default it to a setting that is not the lowest common denominator. I understand why they did it. But i had to dig through menu options to find the setting and there was no documentation to help me. Yes no user manual even on device itself or any links in paperwork i got with TV. So anyone not technically savvy would be screwed figuring it out. There was not manual with it other than a quick setup guide. Yes that is all i need to turn it on and watch tv but would be nice if they included such things. Or at least put a link or say go to our website to get manual. I had no documentation and was freaked out that it was locked at 30Hz. Yes i know i should have researched better but there was nothing out there on it. And yes i could have waited for reviews etc. I just saw it and thought "BUY NOW" and was worried i had made a bad decision. I was able to figure it out but most average users would not have a clue.

These are not out anywhere else. There is a lot of interest in this tv as a monitor because it claims to support 4:4:4 on hdmi input 1.

Questions:

1. is it 4:4:4 at 60hz? You can test by showing one of those test screenshots for 4:4:4

2. Is it hdcp 2.2 and hdmi 2.0a? how many inputs

3. How does it work as a monitor?

1. Yes

2. yes HDMI 2.2

3. I am using it as a monitor to game. Input lag is not bad. Not great but not horrible.

Thanks for responding so quick. I'm in the us, but I'm stunned that you actually gone one. I wish they had a manual, so I'm left to ask these questions. So sorry for the questions. You might be the only person in the world who can answer questions about this monitor!

4. Are you driving by hdmi or display port to hdmi? 

5. Does just the one labeled port work at 4:4:4 or do the other ports also support 4:4:4 60hz? 

6. There's probably no easy way to test, but does it support hdr, high dynamic range? Probably too much to ask for in such a cheap tv.

I have 2 devices that could drive it. One is a google pixel which with usb-c to hdmi converter can drive 4k, and also a macbook with displayport and I have a displayport to hdmi converter.

Here in the US, I can buy it with a week's delivery time but it appears to be available no where in-store.

4: I am using HDMI straight to TV from PC with a high speed cable. Dollar store cable will not be ok. 

5. All 3 HDMI Ports support HDMI 2.2 and 4:4:4 at 60HZ

6. No HDR support

No info on support with alternative connections to TV. If device is 2.2 compatible it should work? It is a standard that devices has to properly support to use label.

Oops my bad. Just checked. Says 2.0 on input label for HDMI support. But it is at 60Hz and at 4:4:4

That is what Nvidia and windows is reporting. For sure no HDR support though.

Here is a screenshot showing settings in World of Warcraft with resolution and such. 1c25235.jpg

The latest requirements for ultra hd blueray have confusingly different version numbers for hdcp and hdmi. HDMI is the connecter, basically, and hdcp is the copy protection. The new ultra blue ray players will need hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2. hdmi 2.0 allows 4k 60hz. Those are less important when you have a device that can stream 4k content. If you can stream hulu, amazon prime, netflix, maybe add 4k youtube, that covers the main sources in the western world.

Found a review that says it has hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 http://hometheaterreview.com/best-buy-debuts-insignia-branded-4k-roku-tvs/ 

quote " Best Buy is now selling three Insignia-branded 4K Roku TVs on its website, and the TVs will be available in stores early next month. These 4K TVs feature a fully integrated Roku operating system and provide access to streamed 4K content from Netflix, Amazon Video, UltraFlix, and more. These TVs won't support higher-end technologies like HDR or wide color gamut, but they will have HDMI 2.0 inputs with HDCP 2.2. The lineup includes the 43-inch NS-43DR710NA17 ($399.99), the 50-inch NS-50DR710NA17 ($499.99), and the 55-inch NS-55DR710NA17 ($649.99).  " un-quote 

Ok looks like the individual unit i bought was faulty. Today i noticed the blue led light beside the brand name was blinking 2 times rapidly every 2 seconds or so. I contacted geeksquad at Bestbuy who told me that was normal but suggested i contact roku to enquire further. I contacted roku who told me it was normal for it to do this and was a feature that they could not fully explain except to say that the tv was talking to the remote. I told them it was not talking to the remote as i had down checked that as a possibility by removing the batteries etc. So they suggested i contact Insignia support. I contacted Insignia support who asked to to follow a procedure to test. 

I turned tv off and unplugged it and held power key down on tv itself for 20 seconds. Then plug it in a different outlet and turn it back on and see if light stopped blinking. It did not. It continued to blink rapid twice every two seconds endlessly. Very annoying. The tech on the phone said it was one of two things. Either i had bad power connected to the tv, ie. faulty wiring or the tv power supply was bad. Either way the told me to return the tv and not turn it back on. So off to Bestbuy and I did get a replacement very quick. It took a total of about 10 min of waiting and filling out paperwork and back home. Plugged in new unit and went through setup. No blinking blue light so all is good so far. Hope this unit does not have a faulty power supply in a few days. Too bad their is no user manual available online or such. Well I hope this helps anyone else out there with a blue led light blinking two times rapidly every two seconds. Return it right away and get a new one.