Upgrading From Onboard Audio

d0nGa

Hi there guys,

I want to upgrade my on board audio since it is dying. My budget is $50. I have been looking at the ASUS xonar DG 5.1 and DGX 5.1 I have a MSI z77 G45 MB and I don't have any PCI slots, so does this mean I have to get the DGX 5.1 since the DG won't work with my motherboard?

Do you guys have any other suggestion for a sound card around $50? I only use headphones and I would like a sound card with an integrated amp.

Thanks in advance!

PCI-E and PCI are not compatible with each other. Therefore, if you don't have any legacy PCI lanes (most new boards don't anyway), then you need to get the DGX, and not the DG. For just about any situation, the DGX is going to be the best choice (40 bucks on newegg as of 3.2.2013). It has an Amp, and works really well with both headsets and speakers.

"Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." - Steve Earle

I bought a Xonar DS and it sounds really good for me. I have it hooked up to my sound system with the optical connection. I didn't need the headphone amp and it was cheaper at the time compared to the DGX and the DG. It has a PCI connection which is the only downside when I decide its time for a new motherboard lol :(.

Pci wont be completely removed just yet. Even if you do upgrade, the onboard would be better than your currently dying onboadd