Who Else Hates Vessel?

afyeung

This is NOT about the content; I love getting LTT videos early. It's the site and service itself that's horrendous. The comment system is harder to keep up with and less efficient than YouTube's, which is saying something. And I refuse to watch a video at 480p when YouTube can play back the same quality in 1080p without all the stuttering and buffering, that's a massive caveat. This is extremely annoying when I want to watch LTT at some place without the strongest internet connection. Overall, I can't see myself every paying for the service in the condition it is, it offers nothing innovative over YouTube and does everything else much worse. They owe it to the great content creators like Linus to make their service better, even if they offer higher commission than YT. Actually, although there are other huge YouTubers on Vessel, Linus seems to be the only one with any real traction on Vessel. Every time I search up Linus, Ellen's channel pops up first for whatever reason. Although Ellen has a much, much bigger following than Linus on YouTube, her Vessel channel is pathetic. Each video only has a couple likes and new videos are basically ignored, while Linus has thousands of likes. Also, GMM is no longer on Vessel (didn't like them particularly but they're huge YouTubers), idk why. Basically, I would be paying $3 a month just to watch LTT, which based on what I've seen, is most people on Vessel. Although I would gladly do that, Vessel itself is crap.

TL;DR Vessel sucks, and I'd rather pay to watch LTT vids early somewhere else (YouTube Red? Idk). 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

3 minutes ago, afyeung said:

TL;DR Vessel sucks, and I'd rather pay to watch LTT vids early somewhere else (YouTube Red? Idk). 

id rather them just not have early access videos, I dont really care about getting them early, i will watch them anyway makes no difference to me if I watch it now, or in a week

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

id rather them just not have early access videos, I dont really care about getting them early, i will watch them anyway makes no difference to me if I watch it now, or in a week

Yeah. I wouldn't pay for it either. I'm just saying if I was planning to pay for it, Vessel would be my last choice because it's junk. 

Just now, afyeung said:

Yeah. I wouldn't pay for it either. I'm just saying if I was planning to pay for it, Vessel would be my last choice because it's junk. 

agreed, honestly you dont lose out by NOT using it so I dont see the point

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I couldn't have put it better myself. I like watching LTT videos early (or more specifically, I don't like watching them late, which is what YouTube now basically is), but Vessel itself isn't a patch on YouTube. Unfortunately YT Red isn't available in the UK, so even if LTT videos were released early on there, I couldn't watch them :( . 

2 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

don't like watching them late, 

if you didnt know vessel existed, would you even notice?

The videos that are time sensitive are released on YT at the same time anyway, other than a mental thing about "being early" you still see the same content

I mean if you see a video about a computer warming up pizza, does it matter if its now, or in a week? you still get a video every day

to me its more annoying its early, because if I wanted to watch it on vessell, next time I log in on youtube the same damn video is there

agreed, honestly you dont lose out by NOT using it so I dont see the point

Eh. I do support content creators and am a Linus fan. I think Vessel is the absolute opposite of what it was supposed to be. In the state it is now, Vessel is a miserable desert with one shiny glass building in the center (Linus), once everybody's free trial is up, including my own, we're packing our bags and leaving. After that, Vessel will just be a inhabitable wasteland lol. 

Just now, afyeung said:

Eh. I do support content creators and am a Linus fan. 

You can support them 20 other ways, YouTube Red *where available, tshirts, affiliate links, forum contributions, and more

I too hate Vessel. I don't see how they can expect anyone to pay when they can't stream HD content reliably. I also don't care about getting content earlier than on YouTube.However, I do wish the Linus Media Group guys weren't doing this Nerd Sports channel exclusively on Vessel, not because I'm unwilling to pay for the content but because I am unwilling to pay for Vessel's crappy service.

I don't "hate" Vessel, I'm just really disappointed in how much of a flop it is. I was really hoping that it could do something good and bring some nice competition to YouTube, but they failed misserably.

Oh God, now I sound like a 'parent of the internet'.... "I'm not mad, Vessel, I'm just really disappointed."

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

7 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

You can support them 20 other ways, YouTube Red *where available, tshirts, affiliate links, forum contributions, and more

True. I get your point about how it doesn't matter if I see vids early lol. Just goes more to prove how much of a flop vessel is because the service itself sucks and some people don't care about watching stuff early. 

Rather than hate it's more like i don't give an f about Vessel. Never been there.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

if you didnt know vessel existed, would you even notice?

The videos that are time sensitive are released on YT at the same time anyway, other than a mental thing about "being early" you still see the same content

I mean if you see a video about a computer warming up pizza, does it matter if its now, or in a week? you still get a video every day

to me its more annoying its early, because if I wanted to watch it on vessell, next time I log in on youtube the same damn video is there

Probably not, but I do know it exists, which I realise is exactly the marketing trap Vessel is designed to make you fall into. 

That said, I like LTT and I'd like to support them. I don't want T-Shirts etc and I don't want to just hand over cash in the form of a donation via the forum to someone who is already quite obviously far richer than I am. A paid Vessel subscription at ~£15 per year seems a decent option. As for Vessel's apparently crap streaming, I've got a 200mbps connection, so I can't say I've ever noticed Vessel being any worse than YT in that regard.

4 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

Vessel is dead.

Lol. Check Ellen's channel, 15 million subs on YT, 1 like on her latest vid lol. 

Just now, afyeung said:

Lol. Check Ellen's channel, 15 million subs on YT, 1 like on her latest vid lol. 

Only casual American citizens watch the lame show Ellen has,

Just now, afyeung said:

True. I get your point about how it doesn't matter if I see vids early lol. Just goes more to prove how much of a flop vessel is because the service itself sucks and some people don't care about watching stuff early. 

Thats the problem to me, there is no real incentive to pay for it and the platform offers no real advantage, i dont care enough about watching a video early, since it makes no difference to the end user

and since not EVERY person I watch is on Vessel, its really more annoying just to have to go here

2 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

Probably not, but I do know it exists, which I realise is exactly the marketing trap Vessel is designed to make you fall into. 

That said, I like LTT and I'd like to support them. I don't want T-Shirts etc and I don't want to just hand over cash in the form of a donation via the forum to someone who is already quite obviously far richer than I am. A paid Vessel subscription at ~£15 per year seems a decent option. As for Vessel's apparently crap streaming, I've got a 200mbps connection, so I can't say I've ever noticed Vessel being any worse than YT in that regard.

I personally dont fall into that marketing trap, I couldn't give a flying toss, I still get a video today, whether I watch it now, or in a week, why should I care? its not that I am NOT getting the videos

Wait.. you want to support them...but not send them money because they are richer than you?... WHAT ?

thats like going "I will pay to go to that bands concert but im not buying the CD because they are too rich" - that makes no sense

also they are not rich, most stuff is given to them for free, if they were rich linus would not drive a crummy falling to pieces car with his family inside

this is exactly my opinion, Vessel was when i tried my week or month or whatever it was for free it first of looked cool but then it just got to instant shit when it wonderd what categorys of content i enjoyed and went down hill from there, its a pice of shit UI wise and that was my main problem, also i have shit internet usiually and it was like BAM lowest quality because screw you when youtube was just fine :/ i dont HATE it, but 1: if i can get it free then i will, thats why im not even paying for spotify and still listening to adds, 2: if its harder to use and less optimised then the free option, in this case youtube, then why use it 3: content is content, its there to keep me entertained and thats about it, so why does it matter that much when its realesed? yah sure its fun to watch something when it was created but not being able to then talk about it freely because that would spoil it for people pisses me off

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Except for the first month or two, I haven't had any issues with resolution on Vessel. 1080p every time, and it doesn't have random problems like Youtube.

Comment system, meh. I guess Youtube's is technically better, but the people in Youtube comments are cancer.

Since Vessel is also ad-free for me for another few days, it's currently superior to Youtube for me. But I doubt I'm going to bother to pay for it.

8 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

Only casual American citizens watch the lame show Ellen has,

Didn't say I like it. Just used it to express how Linus has the only real following on vessel. So it's gonna be empty in a few days. 

12 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I personally dont fall into that marketing trap, I couldn't give a flying toss, I still get a video today, whether I watch it now, or in a week, why should I care? its not that I am NOT getting the videos

Wait.. you want to support them...but not send them money because they are richer than you?... WHAT ?

thats like going "I will pay to go to that bands concert but im not buying the CD because they are too rich" - that makes no sense

also they are not rich, most stuff is given to them for free, if they were rich linus would not drive a crummy falling to pieces car with his family inside

No, I said I don't want to hand over cash in the form of a donation, not that I'm not willing to support them via a paid means. In fact, I quite clearly said I would support them via a paid means.

Giving cash to someone for no goods or service is either charity or a gift, neither of which I'm willing to provide to LMG on the basis that I don't know them personally, therefore wouldn't give them a gift, and they're clearly better off than myself, therefore not in need of charity. However, cash for goods or a service (such as early access to videos) is standard business practice and something I'm perfectly willing to engage in and happy that the money supports a cause I enjoy, whilst also benefiting myself. 

If they're not rich, they're certainly not poor. Linus' house is very nice and I'm sure Linus has driven his wife's car in a video before (maybe one of the scrapyard wars?) and it's much less...pink crappy. 

8 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Didn't say I like it. Just used it to express how Linus has the only real following on vessel. So it's gonna be empty in a few days. 

I follow Hardware Canucks there, and Unboxtherapy, Tech Source and LinusTechTips ofcourse, nothing more than that.

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I prefer to watch as they are released, for fear any delays could cause the video to lose relevance.

So far that has always been the case, the videos about new products are released simultaneously, unless you really need to see a video about a frog that was in their office from last year lol

20 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

SNIP

Fair enough I understand that point of view, I was just saying, there are plenty of other ways to support them outside of vessel if you so chose, considering 99% of your money for vessel will go TO vessel, not the content creator

Rich V Poor, is hard to say, I would not class them as rich at all, though if you considering them better off than yourself I would understand that point of view

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Fair enough I understand that point of view, I was just saying, there are plenty of other ways to support them outside of vessel if you so chose, considering 99% of your money for vessel will go TO vessel, not the content creator

Rich V Poor, is hard to say, I would not class them as rich at all, though if you considering them better off than yourself I would understand that point of view

I too understand your PoV. If you don't value early uploads, there's absolutely no point in using, and certainly not paying to use, Vessel. 

What financial arrangement LMG and Vessel have, I don't know. If it's not good for LMG, that is, to be blunt, their problem. 

I guess whether someone is well off or not depends entirely on how well off you are in comparison. I'm not poor, but unless it's very cheap to live in Canada, Linus and his family are almost certainly better off than myself. He's also mentioned in the past that he pays his staff well, so I guess they're not doing too badly for themselves, either.