What is the best choice for a motherboard?

so i guess the all Z170 series boards will perform the same be it the normal type and Gaming range

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Criteria to consider ,, formfactor (what will fit into your case then Budget, then  are you planning on overclocking, what features do you feel you need, then  followed by features that you would just want.  whether or not you want SLI. (PCI-E socket availability)

The intel chipset is the same , but the VRMs where the power delivery  for the CPU is , that counts  as how good of an overclocker your board. 

This was a great video! You get the tips like the the old 2012 Linus but in higher quality.

I watched Linus' AMD vs Intel episode yesterday.

He revived that segment.

Coincidence?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

@LinusTech I feel that you missed an angle on this video, you could have grabbed the cheapest Z series board, and compared a $150 board to the $600 board, and explained that for 90% of people 90% of the time it will do the job with no performance loss, but will lack the features of the more demanding "enthusiast" 

because this video basically just says "dont buy a $600 server board" which I feel is missing the point, and really isnt a video I would point anybody too who wants a motherboard

maybe mention that if not ocing a cheap H/B series would be fine for those on a budget, who just want a good quality board 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I am kind of disappointed he did not even mention what's the diff between a z170 and a h170 mobo. I know it is somewhat basic, but when ppl 1st building a pc, they need to know this.

@ShadowCaptain  I am totally agreed with you.

Most of the ppl will know NOT to buy a server board when it comes to gaming..... Those server boards look different in a lot of ways.

What ppl do not understand is whether go for an older gen, or current gen, how they perform differently, and do they need to overclock their cpu.

Now this vid just looks like Linus is trying to promote Asus's latest premium mobo, rog maximus 8.....

It just too obvious.... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I feel like to many videos are getting posted with "i'm bringing back an old series" or "we're creating a new series" with no followup. :(

For example: 

Final Answer - 1 Video... (ya, I know it was just posted today,  but it makes the list)

Honest Answers - 1 video

Kick-Farted - 1 Video

Unbuild Blogs - 2 Videos

Tech Showdown? (A missed Opportunity imo) - 1 Video

PC Showcases - 2 Videos

Virtual Reality - 2 Videos

I know I am being a little nit-picky, and I am very grateful that we always get a new video every day, but I actually found the Unbuild Blogs to be really interesting as well as a PC Showcase. Also, what ever happened to Kick-Farted? I know you guys might not have backed everything, but it would be interesting to have someone expose the scammers and fakes on kickstarter projects. I guess the point I am trying to make here is that some consistency would be nice, I feel like the past few weeks all I hear from a video are the words "i'm bringing back an old series" or "we're creating a new series"... Just throwing that out there. 

Keep up the great work guys :)

Go for what fits your build, but never skimp on the VRMs if you feel that you will ever overclock. A cheap/ low end board (often the ones with 3+1 phase power delivery), will often fail when you start to push lots of voltage and very high overclocks.
 Even if you are not at the level of blowing a VRM, when you start to get very close to their limits, they start to become quite noisy from a power standpoint, and that limits your ability to reach the true max overclock that your CPU can maintain long term.

If possible try not to go below 8 phase power delivery on a system that you fully intent to overclock as much as possible.

I have an ASUS X-99 Motherboard and let me tell ya, the thing is a beast. It have many options for expansions, it allows 4x SLI and it has an easy to use on board diagnostics reader that shows you what is wrong and what number problem it is. Another great plus is the fact that it has 8 DIMM slots! I'll admit, 8 is a bit much, but it's just the fact that you are not limited to just 4 DIMMs. This allows people who do heavy rendering and such to be able to have the best possible setup.  

7 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I feel like to many videos are getting posted with "i'm bringing back an old series" or "we're creating a new series" with no followup. :(

For example: 

Final Answer - 1 Video... (ya, I know it was just posted today,  but it makes the list)

Honest Answers - 1 video

Kick-Farted - 1 Video

Unbuild Blogs - 2 Videos

PC Showcases - 2 Videos

I know I am being a little nit-picky, and I am very grateful that we always get a new video every day, but I actually found the Unbuild Blogs to be really interesting as well as a PC Showcase. Also, what ever happened to Kick-Farted? I know you guys might not have backed everything, but it would be interesting to have someone expose the scammers and fakes on kickstarter projects. I guess the point I am trying to make here is that some consistency would be nice, I feel like the past few weeks all I hear from a video are the words "i'm bringing back an old series" or "we're creating a new series"... Just throwing that out there. 

Final Answer - As Linus mentioned this is not a new series, it has been around for years. He even listed some of the previous videos in that video... 
Best type of CPU cooler
Core i7 vs Xeon

It even goes back to 2010 and the NCIXcom channel with AMD vs Nvidia

So no, we don't have 100 final answer videos, but that is far from the point of the series... It's supposed to be a resource that can provide solid advice for shoppers regardless of hardware generation.

Honest Answers - The first video in this series came out less than two weeks ago. We have almost never done the follow-up to a series in the first month of its existence.

Kick-Farted - As you said, we did not back everything. This is a great series concept and I hope we do more of them, but these videos are often dependent on availability of both product and time.

Unbuild Blogs - We have two more coming soon. Important to keep these limited to a specific set/class of computers as many would just end up being boring to un-build. And, to be totally honest, it often takes a while to source something like a high-end PC. We committed to the iBUYPOWER un-build video in mid-December, the PC didn't arrive until sometime in January and the video was released on February 3. And, to be clear, I'm not trying to blame anyone there or say that shipping times are terrible or whatever - it's just that there is a process behind the scenes that is extremely time consuming that many people overlook entirely.

Tech Showdown (A missed Opportunity imo) - We can only commit the resources required for something like this every so often without totally disrupting the general workflow. It can also easily be overdone. We prefer to err on the side of "too few" rather than "too many" for awesome series' like this.

PC Showcases - I don't know how this is a new series? This is a new playlist on the channel, but we've been showcasing PCs for years... More will come soon I'm sure, really depends on what we find interesting/exciting at any given time.

Virtual Reality - Not really sure what content you expect us to create when the headsets aren't even publicly available. We've done what we can so far. Also not sure how this is a "series," it's more of a product category.

TL;DR we only have so many resources and we have to allocate them in the way that we feel is best. I've stated this multiple times on the forum, but 2016 Q1 is pretty much a pilot season for us to figure out what works and what doesn't in terms of new content strategies. That means that there will be a ton of new series, as you have noted, but that you will only see the best of these as we move through the rest of the year. It's all in the interest of creating better content in the long term - if that means that some of the content is a bit sporadic or that there isn't as much of a popular series as we may like, then that is an unfortunate reality that we have to live in. But it's all in the interest of creating better, more interesting content in the long term for everyone who watches our channel(s).

null

Hey People what do you think about EVGA Classified motherboard?

12 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

For example: 

Honest Answers - 1 video

Kick-Farted - 1 Video

Unbuild Blogs - 2 Videos

PC Showcases - 2 Videos

Thanks for compiling this list, I do think they should do a better job when they introduce new series or say that they are bringing back old ones 

If you quote me or are replying to me please @ me. Thanks

There are differences between buying a cheap/midranged mobo and a more expensive one. When you buy a low/medium ranged mobo you will basically always get bang4buck. But when you go search in higher segment (overclocking maybe), you do not always get bang4buck in terms of components on the pcb.

Sins hardware used to compare the components on a detail level, so you could compare the differences between motherboard A & B. For example, the number of real phases on the z97 maximus 7 ranger is only 4 compared to the 8 real phases on the z97 sabertooth mark 1. The VRM List was their attempt to level the playing field between manufactures and users, something they felt didn’t happen as often as it should. They should us exactly what our boards used (no BS just stats) as well as what all the other boards in that price range and chipset use.

It makes me sad this list is not up to date atm because it helped alot of people getting the best bang4buck board that fitted their needs. Just for fun you should check the difference between the marketing phase count and the real phase count in that list, the difference is pretty huge. B|

I already named the asus maximus 7 ranger. Gigabyte is also funny, some motherboards-ads tells you they got 26 phases which in reality came down to 6+1 real phases:D Most boards like these two aren't bad or pretty good still, but you can see the difference between mobo's better (better to be safe then sorry afterwards).

6 hours ago, DemonL said:

Hey People what do you think about EVGA Classified motherboard?

Overkill $150 boards are good enough for 99.99% of builds.

I mean cmon are you really going to do 4 way SLI? 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If you want to go for the money burning builds, then you need one for a use case of someone who likes to game while offloading and editing footage captured with their RED Epic camera.

In fast, if you have money to burn, why not see if you can use an SDI card to capture the output from a RED Epic, and then have that work as your webcam.

http://www.red.com/store/products/epic-m-red-dragon-pro-collection

http://www.red.com/store/products/red-4k-broadcast-module

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735417-REG/AJA_KONA_3G_KONA_3G_HD_SD_SDI.html

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($999.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($107.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE/U3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($389.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB PCI-E Solid State Drive  ($1067.99 @ Newegg)
(RAID 1) Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($674.98 @ Newegg)
(RAID 1) Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($674.98 @ Newegg)
(For use with Davinci resolve and to allow 4K playback with adjustments, filters, and effects in real time) Video Card: PNY Quadro M6000 12GB Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($4998.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PNY Quadro M6000 12GB Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($4998.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PNY Quadro M6000 12GB Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($4998.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Core X9 Snow Edition ATX Desktop Case  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1600W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($335.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full (32/64-bit)  ($199.99 @ B&H)
Wired Network Adapter: StarTech ST10000SPEX 100 Mbps/1 Gbps/10 Gbps PCI-Express x4 Network Adapter  ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($21.80 @ Amazon)
( No 8 bit peasantry here, 10 bit per channel FTW) Monitor: Eizo CG277-BK 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($2218.86 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Eizo CG277-BK 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($2218.86 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Eizo CG277-BK 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($2218.86 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($209.01 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 Headphones  ($1149.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $28640.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 02:06 EDT-0400

On 3/18/2016 at 2:33 PM, nicklmg said:

TL;DR we only have so many resources and we have to allocate them in the way that we feel is best. I've stated this multiple times on the forum, but 2016 Q1 is pretty much a pilot season for us to figure out what works and what doesn't in terms of new content strategies. That means that there will be a ton of new series, as you have noted, but that you will only see the best of these as we move through the rest of the year. It's all in the interest of creating better content in the long term - if that means that some of the content is a bit sporadic or that there isn't as much of a popular series as we may like, then that is an unfortunate reality that we have to live in. But it's all in the interest of creating better, more interesting content in the long term for everyone who watches our channel(s).

I really do appreciate your reply and the depth you took to explain each section. I was just commenting on the continuity of the recent videos and giving back opinionated feedback. My word is by far not law, but I felt as though it was justified given my point. As I said, I know you guys work hard and (us-the viewers) receiving a new video every day is AWESOME! I understand your last TL;DR section and I understand how hard you guys work to create content for YouTube and other platforms. I am sure full team participation is needed to turn out content as fast as you guys do and it is much appreciated (believe me). 

I would still really like to see more of these ideas explored in depth and maybe i'm just impatient, but I will wait as the year goes on and continue being a loyal viewer. You guys do an awesome job and I can't wait to see whats coming down the pipeline in the future. Thanks for all the great videos :)

10 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I really do appreciate your reply and the depth you took to explain each section. I was just commenting on the continuity of the recent videos and giving back opinionated feedback. My word is by far not law, but I felt as though it was justified given my point. As I said, I know you guys work hard and (us-the viewers) receiving a new video every day is AWESOME! I understand your last TL;DR section and I understand how hard you guys work to create content for YouTube and other platforms. I am sure full team participation is needed to turn out content as fast as you guys do and it is much appreciated (believe me). 

I would still really like to see more of these ideas explored in depth and maybe i'm just impatient, but I will wait as the year goes on and continue being a loyal viewer. You guys do an awesome job and I can't wait to see whats coming down the pipeline in the future. Thanks for all the great videos :)

Patience is key. You'll see more of many of the series' we've created recently, we just may not revisit them for weeks or even months at a time :P

Thanks for watching!!

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

Patience is key. You'll see more of many of the series' we've created recently, we just may not revisit them for weeks or even months at a time :P

Thanks for watching!!

Are they all going to be "whatever suits your need"? Could you do one on things like CRT/OLED/IPS/TN/Plasma or "Optical"/"Laser"?

As a joke can you do one on "5 Button Mouse" versus "2 Button Mouse"?