game critic Jim sterling sued for $10 mil

papapoi

Angered Game Developer Sues Critic Jim Sterling For US$10 Million

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/03/angered-game-developer-sues-critic-jim-sterling-for-us10-million/

who didn't see this coming?? 

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

This really doesn't mean a whole lot. They can sue for whatever amount they want; whether the jury awards it them or not is another question.

EDIT: From the Kotaku article:

Digital Homicide is representing themselves in the lawsuit, and do not have an attorney. They attempted to crowdfund support for additional help, saying all donations would be kept anonymous. However, Digital Homicide has since taken down its crowdfunding request “due to harassers donating amounts specifically to cause charges rather than donations and charge backs to cause financial fees…[W]e will be seeking another avenue for donations”.

I literally laughed out loud at this.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Kind of funny especially the 4.3 million for emotional distress... made my night lol.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

This might not even make it to court. It's going to require a judge to take the case and the morons don't even have a lawyer yet. They were trying to get donations for their legal fund.

Lol, just saw this mentioned in the YouTube comments section (and no my mind hasn't been destroyed by the comments section).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

BTW, Digital Homicide could get into trouble themselves for the false DMCA take downs.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I read this earlier, I about spit my drink at the part where they tried to crowdfund the lawsuit 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

To be honest, I never bothered reading the article when I saw Kotaku Austraila load (unfortunately I didn't see the .com.au to avoid clicking). All I can hope for is that no sefl-respecting judge would bother wasting time on the lawsuit.

All Jim's defense lawyer has to point out is to take a look at DigitalHomicide's false DMCA claims and reselling pre-made "game templates" from the Unity asset store as their own game and ripping copyright textures from Google Images for their models (you can find the textures in the first search page LOL). Jim is simply pointing them out in his videos.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Digital Homicide never learns....

Also please include more information in your post if possible. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Libel is a lot harder to prove in the US but if Digital Homicide had a decent lawyer I think they just might have a (small) chance.

He has made a lot of videos, tweets, blog posts and such railing on Digital Homicide and a competent lawyer may be able to point to the large amount of attention Jim has given Digital Homicide as something that had evolved into a malicious vendetta and I'm sure there are no end of reviews and posts by users on Steam referencing Jim's videos and tweets, arguably directly linking his statements to an overall negative view of the company and or its products.

I doubt even then that Digital Homicide would actually win anything but it may be able to tie the case up in the courts long enough to put a large financial strain on Jim or any company that may support him.

*edit* Though I imagine the financial strain would be as bad or greater on Digital Homicide, likely completely bankrupting them.

2 hours ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Well time to prepare popcorn for mondays jimquisition. This should be entertaining. (if there isn't one sooner)

There will probably be a sly reference to the case, but his lawyer will probably advise him to not talk much about it now that it's an official legal matter.

You should change the topic title to

"tries to sue"

because the way you have it now makes it sound like he has sued and has won, which is never ever ever going to happen. This won't even make it to court.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Oh shit, Digital Homicide, my favourite :3

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

HA , Good luck suing Jim sterling , He has Youtube on his side , wich means he has google on his side. So sue jim , You sue Youtube , You sue YouTube , You sue Google , You sue Google , You sue The Alphabet. Jim runs deep son !

(⌐■_■) 

Just now, Ridska said:

HA , Good luck suing Jim sterling , He has Youtube on his side , wich means he has google on his side. So sue jim , You sue Youtube , You sue YouTube , You sue Google , You sue Google , You sue The Alphabet. Jim runs deep son !

Nope, Jim Sterling was a member of the Escapist network however he left there a few years ago and went independent. Youtube/Google/Alphabet have nothing to do with him or his videos and neither would they get involved in this.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Nope, Jim Sterling was a member of the Escapist network however he left there a few years ago and went independent. Youtube/Google/Alphabet have nothing to do with him or his videos and neither would they get involved in this.

I know that. I was just lolligaaging around. But that being said, He is in the YouTube fair use protection program, Which means YouTube will represent jim on behalf of him.

(⌐■_■) 

I think that some of this was done in mind for the media coverage...

10 minutes ago, Ridska said:

I know that. I was just lolligaaging around. But that being said, He is in the YouTube fair use protection program, Which means YouTube will represent jim on behalf of him.

Fair use and libel are completely different things.

Fair use is is about how you are and are not able to use copyrighted material.

Libel is about slandering and/or knowingly reporting false information to damage a person or company.

I doubt Youtube or Google will do anything about this.

truth is an absolute defence and lets face,   he is right, i mean he is jim fucking sterling son!

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I've never heard of either party but it's obvious whatever is going on between them has gotten out of hand.

-KuJoe

If the lawsuit does go forward, I sure hope the court slap those morons across the face with a big  "you're idiots" statement. Everything Jim has shown of their terrible games is Fair Use in the context it was used and quite frankly Digital Homicide should be found guilty for the fake DMCA claims they've tried to do in order to muffle legitimate criticism, not to mention their extremely "childish" respond video they've made, surely that's got to count for something right?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro