Getting away with not replacing my WD Blue HDD

The drive clicks now and then for the past couple of months (I haven't heard it click for over a week now)  

The issue is,I plan on upgrading my CPU and motherboard finally =') but the HDD is hitting my budget,I am getting further limited on the used parts I can get for the money 

The replacement is a WD blue 2tb blue (Replacing both the 1tb clicking one and ancient WD green 500 GB that has worse issues but if it comes to it,I can manage to copy the data on to the WD 1tb) 

Any input? 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

20 minutes ago, Sharif said:

if you can afford the risk of living with a HDD that might die anytime, just get your core components first

just dont store important data on it, and have 2 copies of your data at a single time

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you can afford the risk of living with a HDD that might die anytime, just get your core components first

just dont store important data on it, or have 2 copies of your data at a single time

Oh right I have a 120 GB SSD but it's quite small (I already use 70% of it) 

Hmm It seems it might have to come down to me,I like playing it safe..so hmmm 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

If it's your boot drive you might end up with a useless computer if it breaks down before you're able to replace it though.

Just make sure you do have an alternative.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

1 minute ago, Sharif said:

Oh right I have a 120 GB SSD but it's quite small (I already use 70% of it) 

Hmm It seems it might have to come down to me,I like playing it safe..so hmmm 

just use your SSD as a main drive and store your music and videos on the HDD

i would go this route

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, Elapo said:

If it's your boot drive you might end up with a useless computer if it breaks down before you're able to replace it though.

Just make sure you do have an alternative.

My OS is installed on my SSD,the HDD contain mainly Media,Games,Pictures and music 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

19 hours ago, Sharif said:

~snip~

Hey there Sharif,

Having clicking sounds is not a good thing in general as it can indicate potential drive problems. I would strongly recommend backing up your important data (the one that you don't want to lose) and then run some diagnostic tools so you can be on the safe side that the drive is working properly without any potential issues. 
I would recommend downloading and running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes the quick and the extended tests. I would also monitor the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and see if there are any abnormal changes. Feel free to post them here if you are not sure how to read them. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

4 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there Sharif,

Having clicking sounds is not a good thing in general as it can indicate potential drive problems. I would strongly recommend backing up your important data (the one that you don't want to lose) and then run some diagnostic tools so you can be on the safe side that the drive is working properly without any potential issues. 
I would recommend downloading and running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes the quick and the extended tests. I would also monitor the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and see if there are any abnormal changes. Feel free to post them here if you are not sure how to read them. :)

Captain_WD.

Thank you! I am already at it,I am currently looking at the 1 hour and 52 minutes countdown 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

8 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there Sharif,

Captain_WD.

Since All the value doesn't seem to come in the screenshot and I can't seem to find any log file or export option,I used crystaldiskinfo

56ec6099ed2fb_2016-03-18(1).png.7204f6702016-03-18.png.83d21124b4e75ede14abc1e4a

The WD Blue 1Tb has passed the extended test with a satisfying tick

The WD Green 0.5 TB is currently running the test

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

On 18.03.2016 г. at 10:11 PM, Sharif said:

~snip~

Post back when the WD Green finishes the test. :)

I see no reason why the WD Green or the WD Blue should fail any of the tests. Their S.M.A.R.T. statuses seem quite good. 

The 1TB drive seems to have some C7 errors built up which is usually an indication of a SATA cable problem. I'd suggest monitoring the UltraDMA CRC Error Count and if it increases do try to swap the SATA cable. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

7 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Post back when the WD Green finishes the test. :)

I see no reason why the WD Green or the WD Blue should fail any of the tests. Their S.M.A.R.T. statuses seem quite good. 

The 1TB drive seems to have some C7 errors built up which is usually an indication of a SATA cable problem. I'd suggest monitoring the UltraDMA CRC Error Count and if it increases do try to swap the SATA cable. 

Captain_WD.

Sorry! I completely forgot,was completely absorbed in trying to find B75 motherboard , nobody sell them..not even locally (Trying my luck on a used mobo on ebay)

WD green passed the extended the test as well and I havn't heard any clicking these past few days either 

As for the C7,it's still the same 

Capture.PNG.ee845ac68a8ac40815b954c09074

By the way which value should I keep my eye on? 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

2 minutes ago, Sharif said:

~snip~

That same one. The last column is the actual count in a hexadecimal number. 00000000000F means you have 15 counts towards that entry. Next one should say 000000000010 :) you can easily find an online converter for hexadecimal to decimal and vice versa. 

Here's a bit more info on the UltraDMA CRC Error Count

Spoiler

rS8NEzl.png

Captain_WD.

15 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

That same one. The last column is the actual count in a hexadecimal number. 00000000000F means you have 15 counts towards that entry. Next one should say 000000000010 :) you can easily find an online converter for hexadecimal to decimal and vice versa. 

Here's a bit more info on the UltraDMA CRC Error Count

Reveal hidden contents

rS8NEzl.png

Captain_WD.

Makes sense now.Should I change out the cable while I also change the motherboard?  (After it's delivered,Probably weeks..) 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

14 minutes ago, Sharif said:

Makes sense now.Should I change out the cable while I also change the motherboard?  (After it's delivered,Probably weeks..) 

That'd put you on the safe side if there's something wrong with the cable. :)