which is better? (i3 vs i3)

Go to solution Solved by byalexandr,

For an i3 I can tell you that the little bump in clock speed is well worth it, I wish I could clock mine higher actually but I don't have access to the BCLK. Get the 4170, like I mentioned before I have it and it's a stellar little CPU.

you could check for a used i5 on amazon

the dualcore might bottleneck your gpu

get the cheaper one

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

The i3-4170 is ever so slightly better than the i3-4160. I think it's worth the $6.36 price difference to get the 4170.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

1 minute ago, AlexTheRose said:

Bro, just get the 4160. 100MHz is not worth it unless you’re really financially comfortable.

for 6$ more? He might as well get the 4170.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

Bro, just get the 4160. 100MHz is not worth it unless you’re really financially comfortable.

It's $6...

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

9 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

you could check for a used i5 on amazon

the dualcore might bottleneck your gpu

8 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

i have no gpu

i laughed at this way more than i should

11 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

i personally would fork out some extra money for that extra performance if im comfortable with it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

so... with some math.

the i3 4170 is 3% faster, for 5% more money.

make of that what you will.

11 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

also, quote the people that you want reply from, so they will get a notification and will therefore look at the post :D

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

For an i3 I can tell you that the little bump in clock speed is well worth it, I wish I could clock mine higher actually but I don't have access to the BCLK. Get the 4170, like I mentioned before I have it and it's a stellar little CPU.

5 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

to be honest, 3% performance increase for 5% cost is much better than i expected, so i'd honestly say go for the faster part.

its not like you're gonna get more use out of that 6 dollars in a different part.

Just now, manikyath said:

to be honest, 3% performance increase for 5% cost is much better than i expected, so i'd honestly say go for the faster part.

its not like you're gonna get more use out of that 6 dollars in a different part.

^^^

I went for the 4170 at the time because it was the cheapest i3, but I'm surprised how well it's been holding up for the (I think) year that I've had it. Some games try and murder it but it holds on.

1 hour ago, liquidmagma said:

2 rams

4 bisons

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list