PHP ping script

Joveice

Hi, I'm unable to make a ping script for PHP to display the latency of the ping. How would I do this?

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

46 minutes ago, Joveice said:

Doesent work just a white page gets displayed

Thank you anyways.

Where should I really place the .php? I made a new folder wp-scripts and added it there

There's a few likely answers to your issue one of which is that you may be running PHP in a configuration which requires <?php at the opening of your script. Using <? as an open tag. As a result your page is throwing an error which, depending on your configuration would display a white page (instead of the actual error).

Another, you mention where to add your php and that you created a folder named wp-scripts. This leads me to believe that you're attempting to add some code to a Wordpress site. If that's the case then you'll want to add your script to the end of your functions.php file in your active themes folder.

I used one of the examples above to make a shortcode that would ping a site and return results. Here's the code I put in my functions.php

function ping_site ($atts) {
	$host = $atts['host'];
		$output = shell_exec('ping -c1 '. $host);
		echo "<pre>$output</pre>";

}
add_shortcode( 'ping', 'ping_site' );

Here's the shortcode I used on my Wordpress page 

[ping host="http://google.com"]

And here is what the resulting page looks like.

pingresult.PNG.83001f6ec5a47da50217385c2

And If you are in a shared hosting environment your hoster may have disabled curl for security reasons, resulting in error messages like "call to undefined function curl_setopt" or the like.

1 minute ago, zushiba said:

There's a few likely answers to your issue one of which is that you may be running PHP in a configuration which requires <?php at the opening of your script. Using <? as an open tag. As a result your page is throwing an error which, depending on your configuration would display a white page (instead of the actual error).

Another, you mention where to add your php and that you created a folder named wp-scripts. This leads me to believe that you're attempting to add some code to a Wordpress site. If that's the case then you'll want to add your script to the end of your functions.php file in your active themes folder.

I used one of the examples above to make a shortcode that would ping a site and return results. Here's the code I put in my functions.php

function ping_site ($atts) {
	$host = $atts['host'];
	if(filter_var($host, FILTER_VALIDATE_URL)){
		$output = shell_exec('ping -c1 google.com');
		echo "<pre>$output</pre>";

}else {
		echo "Is not valid URL";
	}
}
add_shortcode( 'ping', 'ping_site' );

Here's the shortcode I used on my Wordpress page 

[ping host="http://google.com"]

And here is what the resulting page looks like.

pingresult.PNG.83001f6ec5a47da50217385c2

No idea I gave up on it anyways since showing the ping to it self dident really do any information. So I added system load instead which is working right now :)

1 minute ago, burki94 said:

And If you are in a shared hosting environment your hoster may have disabled curl for security reasons, resulting in error messages like "call to undefined function curl_setopt" or the like.

Private server :)

I updated the code there the valid url thing doesn't play well in the ping command and I didn't add it to the string in that example. The output is correct though.