How To: Basics - Installing a video card

how to basic: removing a gpu

on vessel next week

because someone ripped out their pci-e plastic thing by pulling out their graphics card :I

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

This would actually be a good series to do for novice builders. Also removal and troubleshooting. I know there are long videos that cover full builds but this is still a nice addition to the knowledge base that we can point people to. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

wow

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

fun fact : there are alredy tons of videos for this on youtube
do you guys just decided to copy everything thats alredy been made just because you need a video everyday ?
I mean. there are countless places to find instructions on how to do that alredy. 

tbh these last weeks have been kinda lame. idk whats going on with you guys but you seem to find ways to make the most boring / unprepared / missleading videos of all time

and if your going to call your video "how to basic"
I expect at least an egg

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

do you guys just decided to copy everything thats alredy been made just because you need a video everyday ?
I mean. there are countless places to find instructions on how to do that alredy. 

tbh these last weeks have been kinda lame. idk whats going on with you guys but you seem to find ways to make the most boring / unprepared / missleading videos of all time

I expect at least an egg

I would agree that it is basic and that there are many videos that show how to do this. However, LTT has become a source of information and content that people trust. The editing and video production is much higher than watching Jim-Bob with a webcam or a 12 year old who doesn't speak proper English, stutters, and swears or a gamer who wants to talk about how awesome he is at tea-bagging someone's mom because their awesome rig is so amazing that it rulz!  PCMR BRO!

If LTT were to focus only on advanced information, it would alienate a huge portion of people who are not ready for such adventures in tech. As a former IT engineer I find the vast majority of this information personally useless as I already have this knowledge...but when I think about a 13 year old kid building her first computer or an older adult trying to upgrade a dell they purchased because they didn't know they could build a custom machine I am happy to be able to point them to LTT. 

8 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

I expect at least an egg

Linus explained that, he agreed that the videos lately have been a little rushed, but apparently its because of Scrapyard Wars, which took a huge amount of time to organise and film, so I understand the situation.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, Papakuma said:

I would agree that it is basic and that there are many videos that show how to do this. However, LTT has become a source of information and content that people trust. The editing and video production is much higher than watching Jim-Bob with a webcam or a 12 year old who doesn't speak proper English, stutters, and swears or a gamer who wants to talk about how awesome he is at tea-bagging someone's mom because their awesome rig is so amazing that it rulz!  PCMR BRO!

If LTT were to focus only on advanced information, it would alienate a huge portion of people who are not ready for such adventures in tech. As a former IT engineer I find the vast majority of this information personally useless as I already have this knowledge...but when I think about a 13 year old kid building her first computer or an older adult trying to upgrade a dell they purchased because they didn't know they could build a custom machine I am happy to be able to point them to LTT. 

do I need a 4k raw video shot in a studio to tell me : unscrew screw, put in slot till click, screw back ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

wouldn't it be more suited for FAP video?

I mean RTFM...

like ASUS DIY, MSI video manuals and all the rest of the motherboard manufacturers already have flooded their channels with videos on how to install every component and the quality of those videos is a lot higher and 40% of that video is not devoted to advertising

I thought you were trying to build an enthusiast community... I was wrong...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, givingtnt said:

do I need a 4k raw video shot in a studio to tell me : unscrew screw, put in slot till click, screw back ?

You might not...but again, a 13 year old kid who is building his first machine...maybe. How many times have you seen cringe posts on /r/techsupportgore of people who ripped the PCIE slot out with the card because they didn't unlock it? You may be a super IT genius...but for everyone who has built amazing and insane custom rigs...they all started somewhere...they probably made mistakes along the way. 

Do you need 4K and a studio...probably not...is it nice to have well lit and edited videos that show details clearly...you bet. LTT is a production company that happens to also provide content for the gamer/tech community. They are using their resources for another industry to make our world better...and while the information may not be relevant to you, or to me...it is helpful and relevant to those who are learning, and as an educator, I find that to be of great value. 

Yes! This series is a great idea please continue with it.

6 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I thought you were trying to build an enthusiast community... I was wrong...

I didn't realize that everyone who ever wanted to be part of an enthusiast community had to be an expert from the get-go...

Proper education should be a cornerstone of any strong community.

I really like the idea of basics-videos. 

Even veteran computer builders will probably pick up a thing or two from these videos. 

Myself, having built computers for over 14 years, just learned a few weeks ago that the method of applying thermal paste does not matter as long as you don't use to little. (Thanks Luke) :D

1 minute ago, Marius Wiik said:

I really like the idea of basics-videos. 

Even veteran computer builders will probably pick up a thing or two from these videos. 

Myself, having built computers for over 14 years, just learned a few weeks ago that the method of applying thermal paste does not matter as long as you don't use to little. (Thanks Luke) :D

Thanks for coming at it with an open mind. We're trying to fill some of the voids we currently see in the tech video space (in this case, high-quality tutorials for beginners) while we're in the typical Q1 hardware lull.

And an important thing to note is that the How To series wouldn't just cover beginner-level stuff. The initial plan was to have an "Advanced" install be the first video in the series, but unfortunately a time crunch didn't allow for that... Hope to see that one soon, though.

There is definitely a void in high quality tutorials for beginners.  

So these videos (assuming there will be more) should go in a separate playlist for easy access to those who want them.

I understand this is the first video of the Basics-series? GPUs are a weird place to start tho :P Hoping for more in the future xD 

1 minute ago, Marius Wiik said:

There is definitely a void in high quality tutorials for beginners.  

So these videos (assuming there will be more) should go in a separate playlist for easy access to those who want them.

I understand this is the first video of the Basics-series? GPUs are a weird place to start tho :P Hoping for more in the future xD 

Yep these would be in a separate playlist if we create more. We'll see on that, just so much hate lol.

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

I didn't realize that everyone who ever wanted to be part of an enthusiast community had to be an expert from the get-go...

but: i don't think it was worth 1 whole video, a top 5 of quick tips for building pcs would be much more helpful for the people who are not experts :)

10 minutes ago, mikat said:

but: i don't think it was worth 1 whole video, a top 5 of quick tips for building pcs would be much more helpful for the people who are not experts :)

You may be right, but that's much less searchable. If the video is titled "PC building tips for beginners" or something it wouldn't necessarily come up if someone was searching for "how do I install x part."

You may be entirely right in that being the better way to approach it, but we wanted to test it this way initially.

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

You may be right, but that's much less searchable. If the video is titled "PC building tips for beginners" or something it wouldn't necessarily come up if someone was searching for "how do I install x part."

You may be entirely right in that being the better way to approach it, but we wanted to test it this way initially.

yeah, just include those things in the tags, so if you're doing a top 5 tips on HDDs, CPUs, RAM, PCIe and M.2 you'd add:

"how to install hdd", "how to install a hard drive", "how to install cpu", "how to install a cpu" etc. :)

1 minute ago, mikat said:

yeah, just include those things in the tags, so if you're doing a top 5 tips on HDDs, CPUs, RAM, PCIe and M.2 you'd add:

"how to install hdd", "how to install a hard drive", "how to install cpu", "how to install a cpu" etc. :)

Tags are usually pretty garbage tbh - title is like 80% of what factors into SEO (disclaimer: not a real number, I don't know a real number for that stat, I just know that title matters a whole lot more than tags).

23 minutes ago, mikat said:

People who don't know how to install a graphics card would probably search "how to install a gpu".

So it might be better to make a video on each topic.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

I think most of your followers are kinda tech savvy so they don't like these kind of video's.

I on the other hand think it's a very good idea to make high quality tutorials for beginners so we can expand this community.

It's a shame a lot of people here disagree :(

Keep up the good work :D

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze