HOLY $H!T - $4,000 Server Chassis

Does anybody know why the power supply has such a big difference of output depending on the voltaje of the input?

2 minutes ago, Miguelagve said:

Does anybody know why the power supply has such a big difference of output depending on the voltaje of the input?

Mostly because the components can't handle the increased amperage that comes with running at 110 V. 

These machines are similar to the ones my work uses for GPU compute. Mainly neural networks stuff.

Spoiler

Main rig specs: i5-6500 (3.2 GHz), Cryorig H5 Universal, EVGA GTX 970 FTW+, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (2133MHz), Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Samsung 950 PRO 256GB, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX, LG 3440x1440 Ultrawide.

1 hour ago, madtowneast said:

How do you not fry the 8-pin to (6+2)-pin extensions for certain cards? If you put a 980Ti or Titan X in there you are drawing 20+ A through a single 8-pin. That seems like a really bad idea.

Putting AMD/ATI cards into this setup will cause them to catch on fire over time. I have seen it happen. 

Yea same I had multiple GTX 480s in a workstation setup and 2 of them caught on fight. It was horrible. Tried GTX 580s, same thing happened.

Including multiple systems in a single machine is certainly good for efficiency and convenience, but aren't you worried something very bad could happen to that particular machine and cause you to lose 2 or 3 in one go?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@nicklmg You should try out the new directx 12 multi gpu support with 8 gpus in this.

Also it would be nice to do a video on benchmarking quadro, tesla and xeon phi cards or some IBM cpus.

I'd rather have the Enthoo Primo.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I definitely expected everything Linus mentioned at the end of the video (all the SSDs, the final graphics card configuration etc.) in this video. I say that because it's been over 4 weeks since Linus posted a photo of the final 8 graphics cards inside the system on instagram. This has the potential to be great content! I really think all effort should be put into making a week long series of videos all about this rather than just 1 video once it's finished.

PLEASE do not just release a 10 minute video presenting the final thing when all the work has been done :)

I'm sure there are factors that have delayed this video and the final config video, but it does seem like LTT needs a really high quality build log video after a few weeks of stuff that's not been fantastic, to be honest.

11 hours ago, firecrow797 said:

@nicklmg where did the backgroung music come from? it sounds like the android game "my singing monsters"

I thought it was an instrumental version of "Somebody I Used to Know" for a minute there.

I highly doubt you can run all those GPUs at once?

is there a cheaper version with less PCI slots?

7 hours ago, ybriK said:

Yea same I had multiple GTX 480s in a workstation setup and 2 of them caught on fight. It was horrible. Tried GTX 580s, same thing happened.

Haven't had an issue with nVidia cards or rather 8x 980s in that chassis the haven't been an issue. The AMD/ATI have been a true pain in the ass in the same chassis. They caught on fire in the server room. The admins were not happy. The 980s only draw 165 W max compared to the 250 W and 275 W max for the Titan X and 980 Ti respectively. I have no clue how one would get those in there without having a fire extinguisher close by.

9 hours ago, jasonvp said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or serious.  Have you played around with Supermicro chassis before?  They're built like brick sh!t houses.  Had the box collapsed, the chassis would have obliterated the wooden pallet under it, and then likely left a dent in the concrete floor it was sitting on.  It would have been perfectly OK as would the motherboard and riser card inside of it.

:-)

I honestly didn't know they were built that strong. I thought there'd be a nick or scratch or something at the very least. I'm very pleased to hear such high praises about its durability. Very nice. Thanks!

Linus, you should do a 2CPU 10GPU build and have the most BALLS TO THE WALLS system and then after you do that you should put it in as a replacement for Wonick server.

Duh_Tech

I am a computer and aviation enthusiast. I have a good enough PC. 

On 3/15/2016 at 11:51 PM, jasonvp said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or serious.  Have you played around with Supermicro chassis before?  They're built like brick sh!t houses.  Had the box collapsed, the chassis would have obliterated the wooden pallet under it, and then likely left a dent in the concrete floor it was sitting on.  It would have been perfectly OK as would the motherboard and riser card inside of it.

:-)

The Nokia of the Server Chassis world!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe he's doing these two things:

1. He's upgrading the media encoder with 8 GPUs (maybe GTX 980 Ti, R9 Nano or Fury X) and two E5-2699-V3s

2. He's making the Whonnock server (the one with 24 SSDs in it) and their current Adobe Media Encoder server into one, super slick multirole server

From ghetto media encoder server, surveillance, and storage servers into awesome, slick, expensive, god-like, enterprise-class babies

Linus, you're not leveling up, you are now the king of all reviewers!!!!

I had the exact same idea as @LinusTech did with this server but I came up with it back in October to make a folding rig with. Except I just don't have the money to do it right now.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

So this machine got me wondering... script based cryptocurrency mining is usually done with consumer grade components, that have a high failure rate, since they aren't made to handle the kind of stresses of mining. Would this barebones machine be a viable lite/alt coin miner as it can hold more gpus, has redundant/better power source and components made for 24/7 uptime? The initial investment would obviously be higher but so would the reliability. It would definitely be an interesting video "8 or 10 gpu litecoin mining server! Is it worth it?"

On 3/31/2016 at 10:08 AM, techie90 said:

So this machine got me wondering... script based cryptocurrency mining is usually done with consumer grade components, that have a high failure rate, since they aren't made to handle the kind of stresses of mining. Would this barebones machine be a viable lite/alt coin miner as it can hold more gpus, has redundant/better power source and components made for 24/7 uptime? The initial investment would obviously be higher but so would the reliability. It would definitely be an interesting video "8 or 10 gpu litecoin mining server! Is it worth it?"

Not really, crypto-currency requires specialized machines nowadays. I don't think your investment will garner much in real return though.

I have not looked into coin mining in a while so I could be wrong, the last time I looked mining was getting away from gpu's.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I want to build a similar machine what was the model number for the chassis ? 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, revoconner said:

Is it possible to fit two 5960X or does it only accept xeons?

nope , i7's do not support multi-processor configs.

And even xeons have limitations depending on their model ( that and x86 isn't terribly scalable )

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case