Networking at Grandma's House

Story Time!

Today has been an interesting day. I showed up at my grandparents house last night, exhausted from the trip with the rest of the family. So this morning I wake up to a shouting match between family members over the internet. Long story short, a network built for two old people was not ready for 10+ people media consumption.

So naturally my family turns to me and says fix it. Time to work for my free meals. Grandpa is a Doctor so he's away, so I spend the next hour or so digging around for the network setup. It's in his study on his desk.  It was the stuff of nightmares. No but it was really bad. Anyway I didn't take pics but it was essentially a directTV on demand adapter, a sonos player, and a mac all hooked up to one of these disgusting things. Instantly I recognized this was the bottleneck in the system. But I could do little about it, Doc wouldn't get back till 7pm that night and I didn't have the transportation to go out and buy a new router. Undeterred I kept looking around, He has a lot of apple products, he just doesn't know how to use them all. And as luck would have it he has one of these, plugged in powered on but not hooked up to the modem. :l 

And now everyone is happy with speeds hitting 50mbs+ 

Thanks for letting me share guys!

3 minutes ago, infamoustrey said:

Story Time!

Today has been an interesting day. I showed up at my grandparents house last night, exhausted from the trip with the rest of the family. So this morning I wake up to a shouting match between family members over the internet. Long story short, a network built for two old people was not ready for 10+ people media consumption.

So naturally my family turns to me and says fix it. Time to work for my free meals. Grandpa is a Doctor so he's away, so I spend the next hour or so digging around for the network setup. It's in his study on his desk.  It was the stuff of nightmares. No but it was really bad. Anyway I didn't take pics but it was essentially a directTV on demand adapter, a sonos player, and a mac all hooked up to one of these disgusting things. Instantly I recognized this was the bottleneck in the system. But I could do little about it, Doc wouldn't get back till 7pm that night and I didn't have the transportation to go out and buy a new router. Undeterred I kept looking around, He has a lot of apple products, he just doesn't know how to use them all. And as luck would have it he has one of these, plugged in powered on but not hooked up to the modem. :l 

And now everyone is happy with speeds hitting 50mbs+ 

Thanks for letting me share guys!

so, this isa lesson, on using products you buy :)

FUCKING LIKE BUTTON WHERE DO YOU HIDE?

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

5 minutes ago, The Cool n00B said:

FUCKING LIKE BUTTON WHERE DO YOU HIDE?

Gone for a while now.

I used my laptop with a Killer 1525AC card I installed into it while attaching the ethernet cable into tmy laptop with Connectify-Me. Worked fine for 10+ people and was easy.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

On 3/15/2016 at 7:24 PM, Bajantechnician said:

so, this isa lesson, on using products you buy :)

Honestly, I don't think he even knew what it was.