Microsoft will allow Xbox gamers to play against PS4 and PC players

qlj555

Microsoft is announcing a big new feature for Xbox owners today: cross-network play. It's something the software giant has hinted at for years, and now it seems the reality of PS4, Xbox One, and PC players playing the same game together might finally happen. Developers building games for Xbox One and Windows 10 will be able to support the feature, but it will require Sony and others to "participate" in order for games to be played across Xbox One and PlayStation 4

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11222370/microsoft-xbox-cross-network-play-pc-ps4-gaming

Sounds like a really bad idea for most games...

PS4 and Xbox?  Sure.  But PC?  I don't know about that... unless all platforms are using the same inputs (controller, wheel, mouse + keyboard, etc.) (which is pretty unlikely btw) that could give a major advantage or disadvantage to those attempting to play shooters with a controller for example, of driving with a keyboard. Then there are the issues of various assists like auto-aim nonsense that would be probably only given to controller users which may actually make them too good.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

PS4 and Xbox?  Sure.  But PC?  I don't know about that... unless all platforms are using the same inputs (controller, wheel, mouse + keyboard, etc.) (which is pretty unlikely btw) that could give a major advantage or disadvantage to those attempting to play shooters with a controller for example, of driving with a keyboard. Then there are the issues of various assists like auto-aim nonsense that would be probably only given to controller users which may actually make them too good.

I am sure there will be checks and balances to make it fair. I doubt they would implement auto aim in a cross platform multiplayer game. Maybe Xbox and PS4 will support mouse and keyboard, as PC already has controller support. You never know. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This.

Yes please.

PC and PS4 did that in Rocket League for months but Microsoft was once again the guy behind.

Maybe Forza Horizon 3 crossplay in the future? That would be awesome.

Also, Xbox plebs will be getting destroyed in shooters.

144Hz goodness

Just now, Tagiau said:

Look at it in the way that rocket league is, console players match the skill level that pc gamers have, even while using different inputs.

Well pc player can use controllers, so car games are less of an issue, but shooters...

PC and Xbox/PS4? LOL let the raging kids come out

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

lol console gamers gon get rekt

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

lol console gamers gon get rekt

unless they're given built-in aim-bots to compensate... in which case...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

unless they're given built-in aim-bots to compensate... in which case...

im pretty sure someone with a mouse and keyboard can still beat a console player with aimbot

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Rocket League is PS4 and PC so it's not that hard. Plus, if it's on consoles, the game most likely has controller support. So controller difference shouldn't cause that much of an issue (I use a ps3 controller for RL on PC)

In RL's case, I have been beat to shit by both players on PC and PS4 equally :P 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

2 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

Rocket League is PS4 and PC so it's not that hard. Plus, if it's on consoles, the game most likely has controller support. So controller difference shouldn't cause that much of an issue (I use a ps3 controller for RL on PC)

In RL's case, I have been beat to shit by both players on PC and PS4 equally :P 

Sure some games will work fine but I just fear the worst, since there is the potential for this to put some players at a serious advantage or disadvantage to others depending on a variety of factors, including what input method they're using, and what (if any) "handicap" shenanigans the devs get up to.

Sure some games will work fine but I just fear the worst, since there is the potential for this to put some players at a serious advantage or disadvantage to others depending on a variety of factors, including what input method they're using, and what (if any) "handicap" shenanigans the devs get up to.

I don't think that the devs would give console players handicaps (such as aim bots). They would have to do that on the PC as well. Also I would still win in a one on one with a console player with an aim bot if I had a mouse and keyboard with a 144hz 1ms monitor... 

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

I don't think that the devs would give console players handicaps (such as aim bots). They would have to do that on the PC as well. Also I would still win in a one on one with a console player with an aim bot if I had a mouse and keyboard with a 144hz 1ms monitor... 

If it was any kind of "reasonable" assist (if there even is such a thing) then you're probably right, but in theory it could be so extreme that it instantly turns them to point at your head as soon as line of sight is possible ;)

If it was any kind of "reasonable" assist (if there even is such a thing) then you're probably right, but in theory it could be so extreme that it instantly turns them to point at your head as soon as line of sight is possible ;)

Unless we are playing Call of Duty here... Which I won't be... I think that is highly unlikely. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

i.e. what quick scoping is in call of duty...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

i.e. what quick scoping is in call of duty...

I'd like to see someone try that in literally 1 frame at 144 fps

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'd like to see someone try that in literally 1 frame at 144 fps

Maybe, that would be awesome thou :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

If this carries over to FPS games, my K/D is about to double.

How long until console players start demanding private servers back because they are getting absolutely destroyed when playing against people with a keyboard and mouse?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Would really help if they also allowed PC gamers to play some of the exclusive games (aka port them over to PC). Will probably be locked to games bought on their own store though.

The equalizer would be the wired and wireless XBOX gaming keyboard. In games such as BF4 and Call Of Duty among others the gauntlet has been laid out. There has been a battle brewing for many years. This is very good for the gaming community in general. My suggestion would be an icon indicating what platform they are playing on eg. XBOX360,PS4.

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

4 minutes ago, Columbo said:

The equalizer would be the wired and wireless XBOX gaming keyboard. In games such as BF4 and Call Of Duty among others the gauntlet has been laid out. There has been a battle brewing for many years. This is very good for the gaming community in general. My suggestion would be an icon indicating what platform they are playing on eg. XBOX360,PS4.

I don't know how they're gonna deal with things like the PG279Q... we'd see over 5 frames to each of their 1 xD 

I can understand were this could be useful, For example say your friend has a PS4 and you have and Xbox One so you guys can't play GTA Online together but there could also be some issues such as if someone has a PC it is much easier to hack online games on PC than on Consoles so hackers on PC could ruin the experience for console gamers

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

They could still have proprietary online servers for each platform such as XBOX360/PS4 etc. But if they want to take on the PC gamers they could have dedicated servers. Meaning the gamers could choose to play against PC players or PS4 players if their XBOX360 servers are empty or do not have enough gamers online. This would be a boon for the gaming industry as there are cross platform games that play well on the current generation of consoles.

I should note I already use an XBOX 360 controller on my PC for certain games such as Grid 2.

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz