So how screwed am I exactly?

inkyserifs

Eh. I'm a little miffed. A few months back I built my very first PC (sans gpu) and being a total noob, I went by what my friend recommended of the power supply - a Corsair VS 650w unit that seemed to have nothing but positive reviews online, and was endorsed by the people giving me advice at the time.

I didn't think much of it, and I've had no issues with it so far, but I also haven't really stressed it to any real degree, because I've not been doing any gaming or serious work without a gpu.

However, since I started shopping for a GPU I did more research, upon which I discovered that VS psus are apparently complete crap and not to be used for gaming or heavy workloads at all, period.

Suffice to say I'm pretty mad at myself for not having uncovered this lovely tidbit earlier. Since I'm trying to buy a gtx 970 or its pascal equivalent later this year, would you guys recommend a psu upgrade along with the gpu purchase? This is not desirable because it will take a solid chunk out of my limited GPU fund, and I also don't relish the thought of unplugging everything from my mobo and reconnecting everything (cable management was kinda a bear). Obviously I will do it if the PSU is going to explode or fry my parts or something, but how soon should I look into doing that, and are there any good but reasonably budget ones you could recommend? I was thinking of upgrading to something like an XFX , I hear those are quite decent (I saw the PSU Tier list).

Ehh, i wouldn't worry about it if i was you. Sometimes some people on here get a little too snobby when it comes to PSUs but if you already have the VS, it really doesn't matter

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I don't know anything about that PSU, but if you are switching, take a look at @STRMfrmXMN's PSU whitelist. It's what I use mostly when looking for a new PSU (including reading reviews myself) and it has worked well so far:

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

It will work, do not worry. If you already own the psu, i would not change.If you were buying new, that would be another story

if you have to cut down your choices for gpu, i suggest you stay with that PSU until you can replace it

and do it ASAP, and i wouldnt recomend you overclock on that bomb

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

if you have to cut down your choices for gpu, i suggest you stay with that PSU until you can replace it

and do it ASAP, and i wouldnt recomend you overclock on that bomb

Yeah, I definitely was not planning on overclocking anything on this at all. X')

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What's your budget on a PSU? I could make something work.

I was really hoping to stay well under 100 usd, but prices work a little differently where I live on account of exchange rates and tax when compared to the US, so I think I'm allowed a little wiggle room, especially if this upgrade is not urgent.

1 minute ago, inkyserifs said:

I was really hoping to stay well under 100 usd, but prices work a little differently where I live on account of exchange rates and tax when compared to the US, so I think I'm allowed a little wiggle room, especially if this upgrade is not urgent.

Is something like at least a Super Flower Golden Green HX 550 or 650 possible for under $100?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Is something like at least a Super Flower Golden Green HX 550 or 650 possible for under $100?

Mm, I found a 550w unit on my go-to website for under that, but doesn't seem to be available at the moment. On another site it seems available and looks quite okay, but with reported high noise levels (which I'm not crazy about but would be willing to put up with for the sake of a good psu if absolutely necessary.) Thank you for the recommendation. :) I've never actually heard of Super Flower, it doesn't seem very commonplace in my country.

Just now, inkyserifs said:

Mm, I found a 550w unit on my go-to website for under that, but doesn't seem to be available at the moment. On another site it seems available and looks quite okay, but with reported high noise levels (which I'm not crazy about but would be willing to put up with for the sake of a good psu if absolutely necessary.) Thank you for the recommendation. :) I've never actually heard of Super Flower, it doesn't seem very commonplace in my country.

No problemo.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

26 minutes ago, lubblig said:

I don't know anything about that PSU, but if you are switching, take a look at @STRMfrmXMN's PSU whitelist. It's what I use mostly when looking for a new PSU (including reading reviews myself) and it has worked well so far:

Thank you! This will be very handy. I don't see my PSU on the original whitelist, but a few posts down it's rated as an 'acceptable' psu. X') I'm guessing this means it's safe to keep for at least a while longer.