I want to try to build a gaming, streaming, and recording pc, but I have no idea what I'm doing

Before I start this post, I am new to this forum so if I messed something up or left out information, just tell me and I will answer any questions you have. Also, if it isn't to much trouble, please explain why you are recommending a certain build. I would like to understand the future system I could be buying. Thank you.

1. Budget & Location

I live in the US, and my budget is 4000 but I'm ok with going over if necessary.

2. Aim

The aim of the system is to be able to play games like Arma 3 and 2, The Witcher 3, Dying Light, heavily modded Skyrim, and other highly intensive games on ultra settings while streaming the games with OBS to Twitch and/or recording the games with Action or a capture card, and then be able to edit and render the video.

3. Monitors

I plan on running 3 monitors, one 1440 (I haven't bought it yet but I plan on getting the Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor, but if you recommend a different monitor please tell me), then two 1080 monitors I already have one but if you recommend a third one, please tell me.

4. Peripherals

The monitors were talked about above, but I do need a keyboard. I was thinking of getting the Corsair K95 mechanical gaming keyboard with cherry mx red switches. I don't need a mouse, however, I do need an OS preferably Windows 7.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading because I foolishly bought a very expensive gaming laptop thinking I would be able to play and record games for decades (which it can barely even play most of the games I want to) to come with the added benefit of it being mobile, but it's basically a tower without the benefits of being a tower.

6. Side notes

I know this doesn't matter at all, but I would still like to have a black and red or grey and red setup. I don't mind straying from the color scheme, I just want the system to look good and match. Important note as well, I have fiber optic 1 gig internet so if my system could take advantage of my internet that would be fantastic. Also, I'm a complete newb to building PCs so if you have any tips, tricks, or tidbits please tell me. Even though I'm a newb, I would really like to have a system that could be expanded in the future, so if I wanted to get into overclocking and stuff I could. I might of forgotten some information I wanted to add, so if I did I will just tell you all. Thanks and have a great day.

You want to build it or are you fine with buying a pre-built one?

8 minutes ago, Barros said:

Whatever is cheapest really, but I want to try building myself if that is an option.

Here:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/prMpZL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/prMpZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($999.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($308.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($196.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($629.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($629.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($215.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $3711.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-13 14:35 EDT-0400

However , i strongly advise against buying those 980ti's since the new cards are scheduled for a late spring release.

Edit: Made a much more "budget" build that should perform the same , it just lacks some creature conforts .

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q6Q7cf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q6Q7cf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($999.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3016.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-13 14:40 EDT-0400

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Barros said:

Don't buy a prebuilt they cost more for no extra performance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n9K8WZ

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

The added cores of an i7-5820K provide a touch more power for editing and when running a number of cpu intensive tasks. While 32GB is far more memory than needed, 16GB is not enough. The architecture makes quad channel memory kits (4 sticks) optimal. The particular modules I have included were choosen as much for their appearance as their performance.

The Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE case has a red & black interior to complement the Asus ROG motherboard, and user controlled LED strip. The motherboard is a bit much, but I like Asus boards not only for their quality but also the excellent BIOS and utilities. The Rampage V Extreme is an enthusiasts dream. Excellent sound, and power distribution. Lots of features to assist with maximizing hardware performance.

I would suggest Windows 10 standard edition because it will have a longer supported life. But since Windows 7 was requested I have included the Pro version. Necessary to support 32GB of memory.

I would suggest an IPS G-Sync monitor. Better color and wider viewing angles.

The RMx 1000W has more capacity than needed, but 850W is a touch tight if one is going to overclock the cpu and gpu.

The whole thing is over budget. It could be brought under budget, but one would likely have to give up the 1TB ssd and choose a less expensive motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($479.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($307.72 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($659.95 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case  ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($139.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($799.99 @ Micro Center)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($122.85 @ Amazon)
Total: $4308.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-13 15:02 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

24 minutes ago, brob said:

The added cores of an i7-5820K provide a touch more power for editing and when running a number of cpu intensive tasks. While 32GB is far more memory than needed, 16GB is not enough. The architecture makes quad channel memory kits (4 sticks) optimal. The particular modules I have included were choosen as much for their appearance as their performance.

The Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE case has a red & black interior to complement the Asus ROG motherboard, and user controlled LED strip. The motherboard is a bit much, but I like Asus boards not only for their quality but also the excellent BIOS and utilities. The Rampage V Extreme is an enthusiasts dream. Excellent sound, and power distribution. Lots of features to assist with maximizing hardware performance.

I would suggest Windows 10 standard edition because it will have a longer supported life. But since Windows 7 was requested I have included the Pro version. Necessary to support 32GB of memory.

The RMx 1000W has more capacity than needed, but 850W is a touch tight if one is going to overclock the cpu and gpu.

The whole thing is over budget. It could be brought under budget, but one would likely have to give up the 1TB ssd and choose a less expensive motherboard.

Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($479.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($139.88 @ OutletPC)

Thank you very much good person, I will look at this set up more indepth in a little bit, but thank you very much for your advice.

22 hours ago, brob said:

Alright, I got a chance to look at the build you recommended and I had some questions. First about the storage. Is a 1 gig ssd enough? I feel that if I was going to be playing games and recording just off of one ssd, performance would take a hit. I don't know though, I could be completely wrong. Also, the power supply. Is 1000 watts going to set me up for the future? Will I be able to upgrade if I decided I wanted to? What about overclocking? I'm just asking, because I have no clue. Also, I'm just going to trust you on the cpu cooler, I don't understand that stuff lol. Thank you very much, have a great day.

1 hour ago, FyreDrayke7 said:

Alright, I got a chance to look at the build you recommended and I had some questions. First about the storage. Is a 1 gig ssd enough? I feel that if I was going to be playing games and recording just off of one ssd, performance would take a hit. I don't know though, I could be completely wrong. Also, the power supply. Is 1000 watts going to set me up for the future? Will I be able to upgrade if I decided I wanted to? What about overclocking? I'm just asking, because I have no clue. Also, I'm just going to trust you on the cpu cooler, I don't understand that stuff lol. Thank you very much, have a great day.

Not sure what you are asking about with respect to the ssd. Only you can decide how much storage is needed. As to performance, with the amount of main memory available a single channel to a fast ssd should have no trouble keeping up with the usage described.

1000W is 25% (200W) more than the maximum required by the build. It will easily handle memory and storage upgrades along with serious overclocking.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I decided to go over budget to get more storage and changed the cpu for the 5930k so I could have the 6 cores for video editing and this is what I came to.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FvgwGX

Any thoughts? I know it is extremely over budget but I don't know. Also, there is a compatibility issue I think. it says my graphics card is to long basically. Is that not really relevant to me? Does it matter at all? Also, I'm going to wait for pascal to see if I want to just upgrade to that or I could just get cheaper 980tis so. Also, is there anything else I will need besides these parts for this computer? Do I need to buy fans or something? Also, I've heard of something called an SLI bridge do I need that to use both graphics cards? Again, I've never done this so I have no idea what I need and what I don't. Thanks again.

4000$? Way too much really, but if you can do it maxed out at 4000$, then this 4001$ build will do.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 V3 2.4GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($389.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 V3 2.4GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($389.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($112.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($301.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston 64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston 64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($229.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB HYBRID Video Card  ($1149.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case  ($324.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 750W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $4001.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-25 15:20 EDT-0400

(4.8 GHz and 12 Cores... 2 liquid coolers, a dual-cpu 2011-3 motherboard, 128 GB of DDR4 RAM, 1 TB SSD, 1 Titan X (i was getting a Titan Z but...), a 300$ case, and 80+ Titanium power supply and last but not least, a 50$ optical drive.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 hours ago, FyreDrayke7 said:

Ok so I decided to go over budget to get more storage and changed the cpu for the 5930k so I could have the 6 cores for video editing and this is what I came to.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FvgwGX

Any thoughts? I know it is extremely over budget but I don't know. Also, there is a compatibility issue I think. it says my graphics card is to long basically. Is that not really relevant to me? Does it matter at all? Also, I'm going to wait for pascal to see if I want to just upgrade to that or I could just get cheaper 980tis so. Also, is there anything else I will need besides these parts for this computer? Do I need to buy fans or something? Also, I've heard of something called an SLI bridge do I need that to use both graphics cards? Again, I've never done this so I have no idea what I need and what I don't. Thanks again.

Since there are dedicated ssd mounts, you will not even be using the removable 3.5" bays.

You may want to consider the 2TB 850 EVO drive instead of the Pro.

3 hours ago, brob said:

Since there are dedicated ssd mounts, you will not even be using the removable 3.5" bays.

You may want to consider the 2TB 850 EVO drive instead of the Pro.

I went with the pro because it came as a combo deal with the cpu. I'll look at it again though thanks. But does the cpu look fine and stuff? I don't think I changed it to much. Also about the other stuff I mentioned, is that necessary? Thanks for all your help again.

6 minutes ago, FyreDrayke7 said:

I went with the pro because it came as a combo deal with the cpu. I'll look at it again though thanks. But does the cpu look fine and stuff? I don't think I changed it to much. Also about the other stuff I mentioned, is that necessary? Thanks for all your help again.

Looks fine. Waiting for Pascal would be a good idea if we see something concrete in a month or two. Otherwise you will have to decide how long you are willing to wait.

7 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

4000$? Way too much really, but if you can do it maxed out at 4000$, then this 4001$ build will do.

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($301.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($229.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB HYBRID Video Card  ($1149.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case  ($324.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 750W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $4001.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-25 15:20 EDT-0400

(4.8 GHz and 12 Cores... 2 liquid coolers, a dual-cpu 2011-3 motherboard, 128 GB of DDR4 RAM, 1 TB SSD, 1 Titan X (i was getting a Titan Z but...), a 300$ case, and 80+ Titanium power supply and last but not least, a 50$ optical drive.

That isn't the best way to spend $4000.

1 hour ago, brob said:

Looks fine. Waiting for Pascal would be a good idea if we see something concrete in a month or two. Otherwise you will have to decide how long you are willing to wait.

Ok sounds good. What about the other stuff I mentioned? Like the SLI bridge and fans and other things will I need those? Or will the fans come with the case and is an SLI bridge mandatory for SLI? Again complete noob lol. Thanks.

2 hours ago, FyreDrayke7 said:

Ok sounds good. What about the other stuff I mentioned? Like the SLI bridge and fans and other things will I need those? Or will the fans come with the case and is an SLI bridge mandatory for SLI? Again complete noob lol. Thanks.

Case comes with some fans, see the manufacturer's specs / merchant's web page for details. Yes sli requires a bridge between all gpu. Most sli capable motherboards include a 2-way sli bridge. But if looks are important you might want to consider a fancier looking bridge.

• 1 month later...

So it has been a while since I posted about this, but I was curious about my motherboard. Would the EVGA Classified X99 be a better choice? It's cheaper and seems to have more upgrade capability but I'm not to sure so I was curious. Thanks

EVGA does not have an established reputation in motherboards.

There are many very good motherboards priced between the EVGA Classified X99 and the Asus Rampage V Extreme.