Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dialgarocksful

i3-4170 or FX-6300?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Purpose:

- MOBA/Simulation (particularly SimCity and Cities)/2015's AAA titles (medium settings @40-50fps would do)

- OBS streaming (720p30fps)

- Maya 3D rendering (mentalray rendering)

- Unity programming

- Vegas rendering

 

I already have a kit of DDR3 sticks (basically I can't go for Skylake), storage drives, and a minor GPU (HD7750, will upgrade to R7 360 in the near future)

Current plan: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZNxFFT (with i3-4170)

 

My plan for the motherboard is either MSI 970 Gaming or Gigabyte 970 Gaming (black/red theme and fits within my budget for motherboard)


 

Spoiler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dialgarocksful said:

will only be doing 720p30fps. forgot to mention that

this is a hard question

the i3 is better for gaming but i dont really know if the fx is better for streaming 


I didn't know what to put here...

Link to post
Share on other sites

for streaming, FX 6300 with a good board or SKYLAKE i3 6100 with a Z170 board and 2666MHz RAM.

 

If you OC a FX 6300 to 4.6GHz (need high end board) you can get similar multi-core performance to a skylake i5 6500 at stock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Prysin said:

for streaming, FX 6300 with a good board or SKYLAKE i3 6100 with a Z170 board and 2666MHz RAM.

 

If you OC a FX 6300 to 4.6GHz (need high end board) you can get similar multi-core performance to a skylake i5 6500 at stock.

already have a kit of ddr3 sticks, can't get a skylake even i wanted to. Z170 board costs 120% here in my country


 

Spoiler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NicekillBG said:

this is a hard question

the i3 is better for gaming but i dont really know if the fx is better for streaming 

i3 4170 = 6300

 

they trade blows in games made after 2013. Games made prior to 2013, i3 4170 is superior.

 

The thing is, sometimes a FX 6300 is equal to a i3 4170, other times it is closer to a i5 4460.... You don't know how it will actually perform.

 

Either way, the best choice is a Skylake i3 6100 paired with a Z170 board and 2666MHz Dual Channel DDR4 RAM. Such a setup is equal to an locked Haswell i5

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dialgarocksful said:

already have a kit of ddr3 sticks, can't get a skylake even i wanted to. Z170 board costs 120% here in my country

then FX is the best option atm... especially for streaming.

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.04 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($85.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $212.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-13 05:35 EDT-0400

 

you want that mobo, as it is "8+2 phase". Meaning it will OC very well. 4.6Ghz is NOT out of the question with that board. Although you may need something better then a Hyper 212 Evo to sustain said OC...

 

For GPU i suggest a Nvidia GTX 960 due to Nvidia drivers having lower CPU overhead. The FX 6300 has weaker cores then haswell i3, but it has MORE cores. So all in all, it matches the Haswell i3 very well.

 

Question: How much does a Haswell i5 4460 cost in your country?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Prysin said:

or Plays with AMD.... actually, got to give props to AMD, they fixed their streaming solution so it WORKS now... took them a while though.

Source? Last time I checked it cut severely into the performance like any other recording software.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Prysin said:

then FX is the best option atm... especially for streaming.

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.04 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($85.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $212.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-13 05:35 EDT-0400

 

you want that mobo, as it is "8+2 phase". Meaning it will OC very well. 4.6Ghz is NOT out of the question with that board. Although you may need something better then a Hyper 212 Evo to sustain said OC...

 

For GPU i suggest a Nvidia GTX 960 due to Nvidia drivers having lower CPU overhead. The FX 6300 has weaker cores then haswell i3, but it has MORE cores. So all in all, it matches the Haswell i3 very well.

 

Question: How much does a Haswell i5 4460 cost in your country?

- may I know what voltage I use with 4.6GHz setting? or like what voltage should I use on a given OC bracket

- 4460 = $180 converted


 

Spoiler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Source? Last time I checked it cut severely into the performance like any other recording software.

Source: myself, i tested it last night with the Crimson 16.3 drivers (forgot to uncheck Gaming Evolved app)... decided to give it a spin.

Not noticing any lags on my i7... ill give it a go with my FX 8320 sometime just to see if it hurts lower end CPUs...

 

EDIT: i know how shit it USED to be. i tried to use it before and it straight up didnt let me control my in-game characters because it added some retarded overlay that took priority over the game..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dialgarocksful said:

- may I know what voltage I use with 4.6GHz setting? or like what voltage should I use on a given OC bracket

- 4460 = $180 converted

The voltage you will need is depending on the chip.... my FX 8320 went from 3.5GHz stock to 4.3-4.4GHz OC on stock voltage... But to get to 4.62Ghz i needed to increase the voltage to 1.485v, stock FX voltage is around 1.35v, with some CPUs like the FX 8350 using 1.45 during Turbo mode......

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Prysin said:

Source: myself, i tested it last night with the Crimson 16.3 drivers (forgot to uncheck Gaming Evolved app)... decided to give it a spin.

Not noticing any lags on my i7... ill give it a go with my FX 8320 sometime just to see if it hurts lower end CPUs...

"not noticing any lags". C'mon, that's a pretty terrible way of quantifying it.

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

The FX 6300 has weaker cores then haswell i3, but it has MORE cores. So all in all, it matches the Haswell i3 very well.

Yet that doesnt equate to much in games. They're pretty much the same on stock clocks. Only if you're overclocking does the 6300 edge out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

for gaming the i3 is better than a fx 8 core,especially for those type of games you mentioned where you can see even 100% improvements. but for rendering the fx would be better. however you can stream 720p just fine with the i3. even more since you can use intel quick sync. also you can upgrade easy to an i5 later. the i3 is a quick sell

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Majestic said:

"not noticing any lags". C'mon, that's a pretty terrible way of quantifying it.

Yet that doesnt equate to much in games. They're pretty much the same on stock clocks. Only if you're overclocking does the 6300 edge out.

It depends on game also. Some games it will edge out even on stock. Others it wont.

 

Downside to FX is "FX stutter". Some people like Benji_W claims he doesnt have it, but i call bullshit. MSI Afterburner shows the frame time issues clearly. With or without my R9 295x2 running CF, there is clear frame pacing spikes when using the FX 8320 versus my i7 4790k. Although, with a 60Hz panel, it is not very noticeable. I can only imagine how horrid it must look like with a higher Hz panel. 100-144Hz will look to the end user disgusting.

 

However, in the end, you get what you pay for.

FX will be better at multi-tasking then Haswell i3, but haswell i3 will be better at single tasks.

 

Also, Streaming does cause some CPU overhead due to the associated network usage and cross talk between NIC and GPU. dGPUs and motherboards are not "HSA" compliant, so it cannot use the resources independently of the rest of the system. Therefore, the network traffic has to got through the CPU, although briefly, to be sent out. Relaying information is not taxing on a CPU, but it isnt without any impact either. More cores/threads are definetively a bonus here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, s3ns3 said:

for gaming the i3 is better than a fx 8 core,especially for those type of games you mentioned where you can see even 100% improvements. but for rendering the fx would be better. however you can stream 720p just fine with the i3. even more since you can use intel quick sync. also you can upgrade easy to an i5 later. the i3 is a quick sell

no its not.

Skylake i3 is equal to a FX 8350

Haswell i3 is equal to a FX 6300

Haswell i5 is equal or better then a FX 8350

Skylake i5 superior in every way.

 

"You can stream 720p just fine with the i3"

Depends entirely on the fucking game he decides to stream.

Minecraft? SURE.

WoW/GW2/AA raids? NO, due to heavy CPU loads that MMOs produces

CSGO? Most likely not an issue, unless he is running a high Hz panel, in which case streaming would eat into his drawcalls.

 

If the argument is "upgrading"... getting a Haswell i5 is a waste of money. a skylake i3 costs less and performs the same. Ironically, in some cases FX can actually match a Haswell i5 in performance. However it is not consistent at matching it. It depends on the game.

 

In this case, saying intel is better because intel is retarded and misleading.

 

OP is better off wit ha FX 6300 then a Core i3 4170. UNLESS he can get a Haswell i5 4460 or Skylake i3 6100. Both of which is superior to FX and Haswell i3.

 

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

So grab the FX, but that also means Nvidia is the most viable option due to driver overhead. And you might aswell just use shadowplay then.

Like i said earlier, a GTX 960 would be a good match for a FX 6300 due to Nvidias lower driver overhead.

 

 

EDIT:

OP said he would use Sony Vegas for video rendering.

SONY VEGAS IS THE ONLY VIDEO RENDERING SOFTWARE WERE OPENCL IS FASTER THEN CUDA..... AMD VS Nvidia in Vegas isnt a competition, AMD destroys Nvidia in rendering time in that software.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, Prysin said:

then FX is the best option atm... especially for streaming.

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.04 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($85.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $212.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-13 05:35 EDT-0400

 

you want that mobo, as it is "8+2 phase". Meaning it will OC very well. 4.6Ghz is NOT out of the question with that board. Although you may need something better then a Hyper 212 Evo to sustain said OC...

 

For GPU i suggest a Nvidia GTX 960 due to Nvidia drivers having lower CPU overhead. The FX 6300 has weaker cores then haswell i3, but it has MORE cores. So all in all, it matches the Haswell i3 very well.

 

Question: How much does a Haswell i5 4460 cost in your country?

is it possible to substitute the D3P version of GA970A? it's the only option I could go on Gigabyte black/gray boards, unless I ship it here


 

Spoiler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dialgarocksful said:

is it possible to substitute the D3P version of GA970A? it's the only option I could go on Gigabyte black/gray boards, unless I ship it here

not sure the D3P has 8+2 phases, making it less suited for OC. can you post a link to the site you will buy it from?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dialgarocksful said:

is it possible to substitute the D3P version of GA970A? it's the only option I could go on Gigabyte black/gray boards, unless I ship it here

You'd trade in 8 cpu phases for 4 and lose a lot of your overclocking potential. Wouldn't do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×