NVIDIA 16nm Pascal Powered GeForce GTX 1080 could be Launching in May

NVIDIA is on the verge of launching their first 16nm FinFET based products featuring the highest performance and power efficiency to date. Pascal which is the name of their upcoming GPU architecture is built from ground up to deliver not only the best gaming performance but also the best compute performance. NVIDIA is going to present their Pascal GPUs at GTC 2016 but it seems like we already have a hint at when the consumer variant will be launching as Benchlife reports that NVIDIA is prepping the GeForce GTX 1080 for launch in May.

Seems like Nvidia wants to beat AMD in releasing the next generation of GPUS.

We have long been awaiting to learn some information on the Pascal GPUs regarding which NVIDIA has kept really silent but it seems like the company is getting ready for a big showcase at GTC 2016. NVIDIA’s CEO, Jen Hsun Huang himself will deliver the opening keynote of GTC and present not only their latest 16nm FinFET architecture but the corresponding cards that utilize the Pascal GPUs.

Hopefully this will be an actual GP100 or GP104 card not like at CES where they showed a 900 series MX gpu.

There are some significant details in the mentioned report which state that NVIDIA’s GP104 based Pascal cards will feature up to 8 GB GDDR5 memory. This brings the memory capacity to the same amount as AMD’s current Radeon R9 390 series graphics cards which are hit among the public for their great price to performance value. The report says that GDDR5 is the memory standard to be used on the GP104 series cards and there remains a possibility where AIBs can start shipping higher performance GDDR5X chips based cards later on since Micron is expected to start mass production in Summer of 2016.

Definitely seems like Nvidia is trying to push this out of the door but at least eventually we will see GDDR5X cards later. It also seems that this card is aimed at higher resolutions with that 8GB of memory.

Other details that are mentioned suggest that the GeForce GTX 1080 will be shipping on 27th May which is just a few days before Computex so its probable that NVIDIA may host a Pre-Computex event to display their Pascal consumer variants. The reference variants will feature 2 Display Port, 1 HDMI and a single DVI display output. The custom models are said to start shipping in June so AIBs will have a great chance to showcase their new products at Computex 2016.

So on or about the 27th of May we will see an influx of tech reviews on the GTX 1080. At least there still rocking the DVI port.

We are expected to see a single 8-Pin power connector on the GP104 cards. Pascal is known to deliver more than 2x the performance per watt of Maxwell. Maxwell itself was NVIDIA’s bet on power efficiency and it turned out really well for the company, Pascal is further going to take NVIDIA’s lead in the efficiency department which has been their strongest suit since Kepler GPU in 2012.

HOLY $H!T, I know AMD did it first with the nano 'a high end graphics card powerd by a single 8 pin' but still, I hope AMDs Polaris well be about the same efficiency.

So it seems that Nvidia has been very active about Pascal, I can't wait till the 27th of May.

Source:http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-geforce-gtx-1080-gp104-gpu/

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

I still doubt it will be called GTX 1080. I think 1800 is more likely. 

What about "GTX 9802" or "GTX 98016nm"

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

i dont really care about pascal until the big cards arrive.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Title is a little misleading, 

Should be "Nvidia 16mm Pascal powered Geforce GTX 1080 may be launching in May.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

3 minutes ago, X1XNobleX1X said:

Title is a little misleading, 

Should be "Nvidia 16mm Pascal powered Geforce GTX 1080 may be launching in May.

Ok it is a little misleading but hay is an actual date for something.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, ozziestig said:

Ok it is a little misleading but hay is an actual date for something.

That actually doesn't sound right.

Should be   "Nvidia 16mm Pascal powered Geforce GTX 1080 could be launching in May. " Sorry :)

I doubt it will be much of a performance increase as they're mostly focusing on efficiency and compute performance.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I'll have to see it and check the benchmarks before I'll jump on the gun. Yay for AMD keeping the competition alive!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

9 minutes ago, X1XNobleX1X said:

I doubt it will be much of a performance increase as they're mostly focusing on efficiency and compute performance.

Yeah Nvidia has said many times that Pascal is a compute powerhouse, but still it is a node shrink so there is that.

Spoiler

Just now, ozziestig said:

Yeah Nvidia has said many times that Pascal is a compute powerhouse, but still it is a node shrink so there is that.

Even if it's a minimal performance boost, I will jump on them right away.

The reduction of power consumption is a plus.

Also, the fact that I doubt that 980tis will hold their value in two years for Volta. 

1 hour ago, ozziestig said:

We are expected to see a single 8-Pin power connector on the GP104 cards. Pascal is known to deliver more than 2x the performance per watt of Maxwell. Maxwell itself was NVIDIA’s bet on power efficiency and it turned out really well for the company, Pascal is further going to take NVIDIA’s lead in the efficiency department which has been their strongest suit since Kepler GPU in 2012.

HOLY $H!T, I know AMD did it first with the nano 'a high end graphics card powerd by a single 8 pin' but still, I hope AMDs Polaris well be about the same efficiency

umm... what??
a single 8-pin (150W) IS two 6-pins (75W+75W) which maxwell 980 and 970 cards have

also they've backed away from Pascal = Maxwel x10 claim

they still have 2x PPW in that story so

I expect about 980 SLI performance for that or bust !!!!

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I may be wrong but who really uses DVI? Most i know personally use DP or HDMI. I would much prefer the high end cards '1080' and the pascal titan equivalent to just have DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0. With a layout like the AMD fury nano....I mean single slot glory anyone!? 

I understand it will have a duel slot cooler but for those who water-cool (most likely to be doing so on the top tier cards... 'titan', '1080'and '1070') single slot would be nice ! 

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

We won't se DP1.4 in this years cards, the standard has just been released. It's 1.3 this year (as AMD has already announced from their part), then 1.4 next year probably. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

8 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

We won't se DP1.4 in this years cards, the standard has just been released. It's 1.3 this year (as AMD has already announced from their part), then 1.4 next year probably. 

Correct.  And I agree with Mystic: WTF are they still dragging around DVI?  Chuck it in the trash where it belongs, and we can have a single-slot backplate on our big cards (assuming the OEM cooler is removed and water cooling added).  3 DP1.3 ports and an HDMI (because, HDMI is also still important... /sarcasm) should be good.  It'll all fit in one slot.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Very very interesting. 

I would love to finay upgrade my GPU.

The only problems I see here so far is how they are going to go about GDDR5 and GDDR5X cards. 

It wouldn't make much sense to ship two memory versions for same GPUs. 

Maybe new Titan and 1080ti will have GDDR5X. 

Or maybe they will do two memory version (just like there are 2gb and 4gb versions of 960).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, ozziestig said:

Definitely seems like Nvidia is trying to push this out of the door but at least eventually we will see GDDR5X cards later. It also seems that this card is aimed at higher resolutions with that 8GB of memory.

So on or about the 27th of May we will see an influx of tech reviews on the GTX 1080. At least there still rocking the DVI port.

HOLY $H!T, I know AMD did it first with the nano 'a high end graphics card powerd by a single 8 pin' but still, I hope AMDs Polaris well be about the same efficiency.

So it seems that Nvidia has been very active about Pascal, I can't wait till the 27th of May.

Source:http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-geforce-gtx-1080-gp104-gpu/

Wait, we are going to see GDDR5 on their 970 equivalent? That's disappointing.

There are two things, that a somewhat odd:

1. Maxwell's power efficiency was due to them slaughtering compute capabilities, schedulers, etc, making the cards weak in future titles as well as very little futue proof. If Pascal can build on that efficiency, it sounds like they have weak compute and schedulers for async compute too. If so they might not as powerful as people think.
  2. Why is there even DVI on there? That was a digital dsub vga replacement from 1999. Let it die already. Monitors today has HDMI or DisplayPort. The latter being mandatory for Gsync. It takes up too much space and makes It impossible to do single PCI port water cooling. So dumb.

Either way, it's going to be an interesting year for graphics. However these sudden rumours about Pascal launch being before Polaris sounds like a desperate reaction from NVidia if true. I think they know they will deliver subpar performance this generation due to weak compute and schedulers in the architecture. Maybe they won't fix that until Volta.

Of course that is speculation, but given Nvidia's track record of planned obsolescence, it wouldn't surprise me. Maxwell is going to crash and burn this year already.

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

also they've backed away from Pascal = Maxwel x10 claim

they still have 2x PPW in that story so

#CEOMath.

But seriously, that 10x claim was a joke, that just proved how weak Maxwell really is. We will see that on all titles utilizing DX12/Vulkan async compute in the future.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Can't wait to see the performance increase over mainstream cards. Should be a decent bump. Still gonna wait for their Ti equivalent which I'm not expecting until next year.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

13 minutes ago, Notional said:

Wait, we are going to see GDDR5 on their 970 equivalent? That's disappointing.

There are two things, that a somewhat odd:

1. Maxwell's power efficiency was due to them slaughtering compute capabilities, schedulers, etc, making the cards weak in future titles as well as very little futue proof. If Pascal can build on that efficiency, it sounds like they have weak compute and schedulers for async compute too. If so they might not as powerful as people think.
  2. Why is there even DVI on there? That was a digital dsub vga replacement from 1999. Let it die already. Monitors today has HDMI or DisplayPort. The latter being mandatory for Gsync. It takes up too much space and makes It impossible to do single PCI port water cooling. So dumb.

Either way, it's going to be an interesting year for graphics. However these sudden rumours about Pascal launch being before Polaris sounds like a desperate reaction from NVidia if true. I think they know they will deliver subpar performance this generation due to weak compute and schedulers in the architecture. Maybe they won't fix that until Volta.

Of course that is speculation, but given Nvidia's track record of planned obsolescence, it wouldn't surprise me. Maxwell is going to crash and burn this year already.

Yes The 970 and 980 equivalent will have GDDR5, but once Micron has produced enough chips AIB partners should be able to ship GDDR5x cards.

13 minutes ago, Notional said:

#CEOMath.

#CEOMath not even once.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Mystic Mistro said:

I may be wrong but who really uses DVI? Most i know personally use DP or HDMI. I would much prefer the high end cards '1080' and the pascal titan equivalent to just have DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0. With a layout like the AMD fury nano....I mean single slot glory anyone!? 

I understand it will have a duel slot cooler but for those who water-cool (most likely to be doing so on the top tier cards... 'titan', '1080'and '1070') single slot would be nice ! 

I use dvi on both of my monitors. They didn't come with HDMI or dp included in the box. So why buy extra cable to do literally the same thing ?

Only a minor majority of people uses VGA and they are still being included even in high end mobos and laptops.

That standard won't go away for a long time...

Luckily we don't see VGA on GPUs anymore.  I'm sure some manufacturers will start releasing cards with only dp or HDMI I/O :)

Not every card is going to do that though. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

Correct.  And I agree with Mystic: WTF are they still dragging around DVI?  Chuck it in the trash where it belongs, and we can have a single-slot backplate on our big cards (assuming the OEM cooler is removed and water cooling added).  3 DP1.3 ports and an HDMI (because, HDMI is also still important... /sarcasm) should be good.  It'll all fit in one slot.

I think the DVI ports are there only to provide easy compatibility with VGA and HDMI at the same time. But I'd love  DP 1.3 (1.4) and HDMI 2.0a(2.1) only cards, at least in the most high end cards. 

I can't believe there are any monitors out there that has DVI but not HDMI and/or DisplayPort. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

3 hours ago, Minsekt said:

i dont really care about pascal until the big cards arrive.

That is a big card, there's only a couple of cards that are going to be higher end than this one.

I doubt it's releasing in May. They haven't even announced the exact cards yet, and I think they will do so at GTC. After that I'd say AMD is going to release first this time around summer or so (I think they have something big up their sleeve, yay), and Nvidia the latter half of 2016. Nvidia hasn't even shown a working Pascal card yet, even the card that was in that dumb car thing they're working on was Maxwell.

16 minutes ago, ozziestig said:

Yes The 970 and 980 equivalent will have GDDR5, but once Micron has produced enough chips AIB partners should be able to ship GDDR5x cards.

#CEOMath not even once.

Still disappointing. HBM not only provides a much larger bandwidth, but also uses less power and takes up way less space, making small cards possible. Then again, I have no idea how many Polaris models will utilize HBM. I hope all of them.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, Thony said:

I use dvi on both of my monitors. They didn't come with HDMI or dp included in the box. So why buy extra cable to do literally the same thing ?

Only a minor majority of people uses VGA and they are still being included even in high end mobos and laptops.

That standard won't go away for a long time...

Luckily we don't see VGA on GPUs anymore.  I'm sure some manufacturers will start releasing cards with only dp or HDMI I/O :)

Not every card is going to do that though. 

Fair enough, i was more getting at why have multiple types of connnecters at all if they all do the same thing :P

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!