DIY Networking Wall

I rent too, and as an added bonus I don't control my internet connection - the landlord provides it. I really wish they didn't, I'd rather the ability to get my own, but there you go. Anyway, the location of the disturbingly terrible Cisco cable modem / router / wireless ap combo... thing is such that a wired connection is impossible for me, but I think I've managed to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

Over time my desk has evolved to become a self-contained network, complete with server/router, switch, and wireless ap. The server (on the bottom) connects to the landlord's wifi over a wireless card and acts as the router/firewall between it and the internal ethernet interface. All my stuff connects to this mini sub-network either by ethernet or through the wireless ap. Since the only wired connection to the house is literally the UPS power plug, this whole thing is, in a sense, portable. I think it's a pretty cool (and reasonably clean) setup. What do you all think, any good?

IMG_0972_small.jpg.f509b1f15cfa227e282e2IMG_0979_small.jpg.3321e624169ac3491d5ce

P.S. - To those of you lamenting a lack of fibre in your area, check out the gem that is Northwestel (www.nwtel.ca) that we in the north are stuck with. Forget fibre connections to individual houses, this entire chunk of Canada is only connected to the outside world through a single fibre line run alongside the highway. Outages are surprisingly frequent as it only takes one idiot with a digger to cut the line. When that happens it's back to good ol' microwave, which means some phones might work, but nothing else will. Still very much a first world problem, I know, but the internet service here is probably about as bad as it gets outside of truly remote areas. It's awful.

1 hour ago, Cobalt_7 said:

How about diy network setup "in" a wall... still waiting for a specific power board to fit in right side.

Nicely done, out of sight out of mind... what are you using the Pi for?

This is a great idea but the video description only links to general items/books of Networking and not the specific ones that were used here. For example those screw on cable clips, I love them but can't find the kind that were used & are they really called 'cable anchors'? It would be much appreciated if someone could share a link to the exact clips which were used as I need them in that size for networking setup and computer cables as well. They would look very neat.

24 minutes ago, Flemingo said:

This is a great idea but the video description only links to general items/books of Networking and not the specific ones that were used here. For example those screw on cable clips, I love them but can't find the kind that were used & are they really called 'cable anchors'? It would be much appreciated if someone could share a link to the exact clips which were used as I need them in that size for networking setup and computer cables as well. They would look very neat.

I don't know about the other things, but you should be able to find the screw-down cable clips at basically any hardware store... they can usually be found in the electrical section near the cable ties:

Home Depot

Home Hardware

Hey Luke,

my Ghetto Networking Wall is also Wall mounted.

1457790958199-1360796815.jpg

21 hours ago, EricX2 said:

If the wireless router is so bad at wireless why not build a pfsense router? You already have a switch and an access point so a wireless router that has bad wireless doesn't make sense.

You could easily build a mini itx system, run pfsense on a flash drive and mount it to that board with the rest of your equipment.

Why would he build a pfSense router when what he got right now works fine? He just needs it to do NAT overload. Hell, if his fiber modem has it then he won't need a router at all.

i know its not a Networking Wall but i did something similar with my ps4. i used a router to make paths the run cables behind the board and i bent some metal wire and screwed it down, ya it doesn't look as nice as the velcro but it wont fall off.

IMG_20160313_090552.jpg

IMG_20160313_091016.jpg

On 3/11/2016 at 10:42 PM, Cobalt_7 said:

How about diy network setup "in" a wall... still waiting for a specific power board to fit in right side

[pictures]

Ok, that's really cool. All I've got is this ghetto network held up with no-damage Velcro tape and regular transparent tape.

Edit: I keep the boxes for all of my hardware that I'm currently using so I can pack it up easily (or possibly sell at a future date)MBfrrBN.jpg

what about a vidio on a custom server rack, for that who can't afford to pay the nearly one grand AUD for a descent one.

Stupid Aussie dollar.>:(