DIY Networking Wall

11 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Shh. I'm tired ^_^

Nicky V never gets tired doin' what he loves in downtown Brooklyn

idk

Wrong Nick dude

I am not signing.  This is a scam.  You don't get my signature.

-koolkyle

There, now you got it. Go away.

Did something like this a few years ago. Don't have a recent pic, but here is what it used to look like... Peg board and zip ties, oh yeah. Cable management, what's that? lol

2014-06-06.jpg

Whats that you used to sand off the router? It looks quite good now, almost like brushed-aluminum

2 minutes ago, JulesTKirk said:

Whats that you used to sand off the router? It looks quite good now, almost like brushed-aluminum

looked like steel wool 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

5 minutes ago, Jobbe03 said:

looked like steel wool 

Oooh of course I feel stupid now, Thanks ! Time to buy some and de-gloss that netgear router ! xD

I'd REALLY like 2 see MUCH more ideas like this 4 renters please?! BTW, you've got fiber at home?! You bastard LOL! I can't even get it at home at all in my area! Most I can get is 100 down (not bad) & I think it's 8 up (THAT SUCKS!!!)

Does this count? :P
Not exactly a wall of switchgear but if you only have 1-2 networking devices it might do for you. The wall mounts for the old landline phone serve to hold stuff.

network_small (1 of 2).jpg

5 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/1xUs

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1nBRXJa

So, Luke wants to have a badass networking wall in his house, but he rents and his landlord won't let him screw a bunch of crap into the wall... But he thinks he has found a solution!

what speed cables are you using? and are the 2 cables from the router to switch used together with link aggregation?

Hi, can someone please explain why he has 2 cables going from the router to the switch? 

Thanks

19 minutes ago, ThatRandomGuy said:

Hi, can someone please explain why he has 2 cables going from the router to the switch? 

Thanks

From the Router, to the WiFi AP... (I guess)...

kind of a silly question... but...

Did it work on the first try? Was it tested before he screwed everything down? We never actually saw it working =(

Great Video.  I made one 8 months ago when I moved to a new apartment.  Why didn't you use screws and the surface mount holes on the devices?

Also you should look into this router it supports VPN servers, works great, super cheep and the support is really good.  

That's a pretty bad idea Luke.

Screwing down the cables might make it look neat, but it will be a huge pain in the ass if you ever need to add/remove/replace a cable. You made it easier to remove the switch (Velcro) than removing the cables (screws) for crying out loud.

1 minute ago, pat-e said:

From the Router, to the WiFi AP... (I guess)...

Nope, that has its own cable.

This was a great video and I love the idea of having all the "backbone" components of your network as one big movable thing :)

I think having a required list of parts to do this at the start of the video would be nice:

• Wooden Board
  • Velcro
  • Cable Anchors
  • Screws + Screwdriver
  • etc.

Also a nice in action shot at Luke's house would have made this video better.

@nicklmg @Slick

My ideas are being stolen :ph34r:

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

So, Luke wants to have a badass networking wall in his house, but he rents and his landlord won't let him screw a bunch of crap into the wall... But he thinks he has found a solution!

On 11/16/2015 at 4:22 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:
The setup here is on a piece of chipboard hanging from my closet's shelf as mounting things to the wall with screws, tape, or superglue is frowned upon by the one who must be obeyed.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That's a pretty bad idea Luke.

Screwing down the cables might make it look neat, but it will be a huge pain in the ass if you ever need to add/remove/replace a cable. You made it easier to remove the switch (Velcro) than removing the cables (screws) for crying out loud.

Nope, that has its own cable.

It will take less than a minute to take ALL the screws out with an electric screwdriver.

Does anyone mind explaining why Luke has a router, an access point, and a modem? I know what the switch does though. Luke said the D-Link router has terrible wi-fi, so is the "access point" used to boost wi-fi? Completely at a loss as to what the modem is for.

Here, I have a line out of the wall that goes into a router - that's it.

32 minutes ago, MSTRBKR said:

It will take less than a minute to take ALL the screws out with an electric screwdriver.

Yeah, but bringing out the screw driver and then re-screwing things just to do anything with the cables will be a pain.

34 minutes ago, MSTRBKR said:

Does anyone mind explaining why Luke has a router, an access point, and a modem? I know what the switch does though. Luke said the D-Link router has terrible wi-fi, so is the "access point" used to boost wi-fi? Completely at a loss as to what the modem is for.

Not sure about the router, but the modem is needed because he has FTTH (if I understand it correctly). So he got a fiber cable that needs to be plugged in somewhere, and consumer routers generally does not have a fiber connector like his modem has.

Yes the access point is used for WiFi. It doesn't really boost it. He just uses that for WiFi instead of the router.

The reason I am not sure why he has the router is because it seems like his fiber modem is a router as well.

If the wireless router is so bad at wireless why not build a pfsense router? You already have a switch and an access point so a wireless router that has bad wireless doesn't make sense.

You could easily build a mini itx system, run pfsense on a flash drive and mount it to that board with the rest of your equipment.